Right then, be honest....

about 250 on shaving gear and another 60 or so on fragrances - not too bad

i think i'm over the initial burst of excitement so now i can go back and try all the things i have accumulated

On my second month so far on wet shaving. Here's what I able to buy (can't remember the prices)

Ice razor
Merkur HD
EJ DE89L
Feather as1
Gillette 1952 tech
Gillette 1932 Canadian made

I hope I can stop from here! Lol!

buzzhave7 said:
On my second month so far on wet shaving. Here's what I able to buy (can't remember the prices)

Ice razor
Merkur HD
EJ DE89L
Feather as1
Gillette 1952 tech
Gillette 1932 Canadian made

I hope I can stop from here! Lol!

I forgot about this thread!

You won't want to hear this, but if you've spent that in 2 months it's only going to get much worse :icon_razz:

My "60-70 pound" in February is likely 10 times that now as I approach a year! I've sold most on but all at a loss. I imagine some figures on this list have climbed somewhat...

I had been doing really well - nothing shave-related for about 6 weeks - until I dropped £145 on three brushes (two LE Semogues and a custom Shavemac) last night. Ho hum - off the wagon again... I hope this isn't BAD relapse!

How much does the misses think I've spent is a good question …..

I think she would massively underestimate how much I've spent on hardware thinking they are old, antiquated and everyone has moved on to cartridge razors so they must be cheap – The soaps, lotions and creams she would massively over estimate relating this to the cost of ladies lotions and potions that she knows.

I've probably spent £600 - £700 since starting in August - She would probably be thinking it's in a similar range but would be way out on the split between hardware and software.

I'm an unashamed bargain hunter so have picked up most of my stuff during sales, from eBay or using Clubcard Vouchers at Mankind.
I reckon maybe £250 on razors, £50 on blades, £200 on cream/soap, £0 on brushes (presents), £100 on balms.
£600 seems like good value for the pleasure this hobby has brought me

Having only been a member of/been influenced/corrupted by this forum for the last 8/9 months, I think I've done fairly well...

I reckon taking in RAD & SAD into account, & having avoided BAD (so far...) I'd say approx £150(ish)

Honestly? Probably about a hundred quid: one razor, two rubes of cheap cream, one tub of premium, two premium soaps and couple of hundred blades and I get through only around 3 blades a month.

As for what SWMBO thinks, she's far more concerned about how much I spend on alcohol!

:blush:

So far, this is only since late October....

Gillette Slim Twist, £5 quid plus postage.
Wilkinson Sword best bristle shaving brush
Palmolive soap stick
See, I started off with cheap, like I intended.....
Large trial pack of blades
Gillette Slim Adjustable, 1967 (heard they were good, bought one, liked it)
Some cheap shaving soaps off the Bay
Gillette Slim Adjustable, last quarter 1964 (my birth year and quarter)
Alum block
Gillette Black Beauty adjustable, partly knackered, very cheap, bought to strip and rebuild for fun / practice.
Random 3 piece aluminium razor (it came with the BB free)
Another trial pack as the original hadn't any Rapira or Personna blades in it.
7 o'clock three piece razor, bought as part of a shaving kit with brush, soap etc.
Gillette Slim Adjustable, last quarter 1968 (my brother's BY&Q) as a pressie for him

For my birthday my wife bought me: -

Proraso white shaving soap
Edwin Jagger Badger shaving brush (nice bit of kit)
Bluebeard's revenge shaving balm
Styptic pencil

I'm reading up on after shave and shaving balm as I'd like to increase my variety with these, but don't really need either as using the alum block and a cold splash seems to be working nicely for my skin.

Brewing was less expensive than this, and has paid back quicker. Not sure if it's actually more satisfying though.

Hmm, since I restarted wet shaving a few years ago, net spend (after selling some things too) is probably around...

DE/SE razors - £500
Straight razors - £600
Strops - £100
Brushes - £400
Soaps - £250
Aftershaves - £250

Hmm, that's more than £2,000 - scary when it's added up!

TRXnMe said:
:blush:

I'm reading up on after shave and shaving balm as I'd like to increase my variety with these, but don't really need either as using the alum block and a cold splash seems to be working nicely for my skin.

Hi there,

I know what you're saying about using the alum block to finish up, and that's fine for the warmer months when perspiration is more in the mix. Colder months shaves can benefit by some kinda soothing balm being applied to keep the skin hydrated and protected from the nasty weather. I will use a very light aftershave almost always in the summer, but not often in the winter.

Something to keep in mind,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom