revisor razors

Yes, they are that cheap, but they'll add on a bit for shipping and some PayPal tax (if that's how you pay).

Send them an e-mail and ask what the grand total would be including shipping etc. if you ordered one. Use their direct e-mail address I think it's better than using the contact form. I'm not sure if they come in a pouch or a box so might be worth asking also.

Have you checked out their spare parts? They have a leather razor case E-0032 at EUR 16.80 and razor oil E-0027 at Eur 4.95 used when storing a razor.

I'm awaiting delivery of 2 razors from their "rarities" section which is still showing many razors that are no longer available :( so it doesn't get updated often or not at all.

Took the plunge and emailed revisor yesterday, got a reply this morning, invoice shortly after and a quick PayPal payment later I now just have to be patient and wait for the postman!

bigmcg said:
Took the plunge and emailed revisor yesterday, got a reply this morning, invoice shortly after and a quick PayPal payment later I now just have to be patient and wait for the postman!

So- which one did you buy? :)

Tony.T said:
bigmcg said:

So- which one did you buy? :)

Yes, Which one?

Mine were sent from them last Thursday 23rd April. Still not received yet :( I am away working until Friday so earliest will be Saturday (if I get a postie card through the door whilst I'm away).

They must use 2nd class signed for.

I went for the classic in 5/8ths. I liked the simple design, plus as I'm just starting out I don't want to cock up and ruin one of the really expensive ones that I might have to force myself to buy later on!

bigmcg said:
I went for the classic in 5/8ths. I liked the simple design, plus as I'm just starting out I don't want to cock up and ruin one of the really expensive ones that I might have to force myself to buy later on!

Hope you like it as much as I like mine!

tip- forget their 'instructions' strop it after your 1st shave, the difference will astound you.

Got back from 3 days working on the Isle of Wight. Box from Revisor Solingen on the doorstep :)

The 5/8" blades seem shorter as well as thinner than the 6/8" Taylor Eye witness I have.

Just about to go and have a go with the Gotta 5/8" (Gotta 120 blade). Thanks for the tip about their instructions Tony :)

Thanks- the 1st shave will be ok, strop it carefully and then the 2nd shave will blow you away.

I shaved with mine 9 hours ago and it still feels better than an hour after shaving with a lesser blade! Has to be witchcraft involved :)

Tony.T said:
Thanks- the 1st shave will be ok, strop it carefully and then the 2nd shave will blow you away.

I shaved with mine 9 hours ago and it still feels better than an hour after shaving with a lesser blade! Has to be witchcraft involved :)
Some say it takes a while for the fin to develop and often does so when 'rested'. I found coating my blades in massage oil for storage (even for just 24 hours) makes them smoother shavers! I guess the science involves further lubrication at the fin but that's me guessing.

Nishy said:
Tony.T said:

Some say it takes a while for the fin to develop and often does so when 'rested'. I found coating my blades in massage oil for storage (even for just 24 hours) makes them smoother shavers! I guess the science involves further lubrication at the fin but that's me guessing.

Neil Miller hasn't posted on here for some time - that's perhaps just as well because he'd probably go ape-shite about the talk of resting edges, fins and massage oils.

There was a theory at one stage - taken seriously I believe - that a pyramid crystal structure helped the blade rest and re-align its edge if left for at least 48 hours. Some people actually bought them. Other straight razor users, just stropped their razor before and after use and enjoyed close and comfortable shaves - safe in the knowledge that the bevel was set properly.

UKRob said:
Nishy said:
Tony.T said:

Neil Miller hasn't posted on here for some time - that's perhaps just as well because he'd probably go ape-shite about the talk of resting edges, fins and massage oils.

There was a theory at one stage - taken seriously I believe - that a pyramid crystal structure helped the blade rest and re-align its edge if left for at least 48 hours. Some people actually bought them. Other straight razor users, just stropped their razor before and after use and enjoyed close and comfortable shaves - safe in the knowledge that the bevel was set properly.
I have seen the pyramid alignment mentioned previously. Some say it work.

Unfortunately with all due respect I am not one to generally abide by another's suggestion (regardless of royalty) without definite proof. Just to clarify I do listen to suggestions but my mind becomes restless without proof.

I will have to use the old electron microscope and see how the oils interact with the edge. I understand oils on a strop effectively nourish the material but also this substance must further transfer to the metal blade? If so either its been 'honed' down the years to not affect or to positively affect the blade.

Time to dispel the null hypothesis with some proof?

Nishy - read through this, I think it will answer your questions.

http://straightrazorplace.com/strops/118573-why-do-they-recommend-using-strop-after-shaving-before-shaving.html

Good thread Rob a lot answered and a few laughs. I do strop before and after (from your suggestion many moons back) but I decided to see if oiling made a difference. So after shaving having stropped I oiled all my white scale razors and not the black scaled. Will swap this after the month. Anyways found the white scales to be much smoother. Guess as always its a ymmv situation.

But that's not the same argument - if you are stropping then adding oil I would agree entirely. The point I was referring to was the idea that you should not strop after using the razor but let it rest - that's the contentious part.

I always strop after use - on the basis that it clears the very edge of any remaining suds etc. I don't care to use a tissue or cloth that close to the edge as I've cut straight through cloth and flesh before. So, I use a strop that's im pregnated with oil and this leaves a residue on the very edge which protects aginst any moisture build up - we are effectively doing the same thing.

I would question the validity of your test by the way. You know that you are using either a white or a black razor - therefore it's not a blind test and knowing your background, you will understand the problem.

UKRob said:
But that's not the same argument - if you are stropping then adding oil I would agree entirely. The point I was referring to was the idea that you should not strop after using the razor but let it rest - that's the contentious part.

I always strop after use - on the basis that it clears the very edge of any remaining suds etc. I don't care to use a tissue or cloth that close to the edge as I've cut straight through cloth and flesh before. So, I use a strop that's im pregnated with oil and this leaves a residue on the very edge which protects aginst any moisture build up - we are effectively doing the same thing.

I would question the validity of your test by the way. You know that you are using either a white or a black razor - therefore it's not a blind test and knowing your background, you will understand the problem.
Yes and yes.

Firstly apologies I was ambiguous. I definitely strop before and after. For the reasons you outline.

My test is indeed crude different soaps, no control, no control over oil quantity or record of duration. To be honest if I were to test to this degree the Mrs would question us getting married. One day I will have to test this as it drives me nuts (I do get out I promise).

Back
Top Bottom