Restored Razors

Got these back this week from Dave but couldn't upload pictures. Now I can though........ :)

New Head before:

[attachment=7145]

[attachment=7146]

[attachment=7147]

[attachment=7148]

New Head after:

[attachment=7149]

[attachment=7150]

[attachment=7151]

I know the pictures aren't great and they don't do the work done by Dave justice but I'm well impressed.

Gold Aristo before:

[attachment=7152]

[attachment=7153]

[attachment=7154]

Gold Aristo after:

[attachment=7155]

[attachment=7156]

[attachment=7157]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089636.175041.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089636.175041.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089659.291513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089659.291513.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089671.109907.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089671.109907.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089685.576853.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089685.576853.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089817.542023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089817.542023.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089826.258874.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089826.258874.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089835.276519.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089835.276519.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 56
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089925.025624.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089925.025624.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 50
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089937.275884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089937.275884.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089954.510802.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367089954.510802.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 46
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090020.358800.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090020.358800.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090029.359138.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090029.359138.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090038.543132.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367090038.543132.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 44
Dear Archangel Gabriel, please keep all postal workers safe, please help them find my parcel from Dave and deliver it tomorrow.

Thanks
Al

Al H said:
Dear Archangel Gabriel, please keep all postal workers safe, please help them find my parcel from Dave and deliver it tomorrow.

Thanks
Al

Sorry Al, that was quite untactful of me to post me restored razors when yours still haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they turn up soon. Good luck.

Praise the Lord that the Patron Saint of Postal workers has the sense to see past the stupidity of those that write addresses. Not only did I put my home post code on my work address i wrote 145 instead of 143 so it has gone to Brecon before arriving safely this morning.

They look amazing, will take some phots later

The only problem I have now is tomorrows shave. Slim, Fatboy or weber polished which also arrive today

Al H said:
Praise the Lord that the Patron Saint of Postal workers has the sense to see past the stupidity of those that write addresses. Not only did I put my home post code on my work address i wrote 145 instead of 143 so it has gone to Brecon before arriving safely this morning.

They look amazing, will take some phots later

The only problem I have now is tomorrows shave. Slim, Fatboy or weber polished which also arrive today

Sorry Al I had to Post this :icon_razz:

90d60d32-3397-4912-99b2-519bf3cd2753.gif

Just wondering what you experts have to say about this.

I recently bought an Open Comb aristocrat from the bay as per this ad

Open Comb Aristocrat

Now, it is clearly in need of some tlc and the description also mentions that the opening mechanism is a little stiff, which I can confirm. What it didn't say and I feel is potentially worse is that the doors do not shut properly - One door comes to rest at an angle, which is going to affect any shaving performance. I have rated the sale neutral and made reference to this in the feedback text.

What's the thinking on the "fixability" of this issue, cosmetic appearance aside?

Thanks,

Jon

The description of the razor says “Signs of wear to box and razor. Razor VERY stiff when using mechanism to open top to access blade.

I was wondering why you felt the need to leave him neutral feedback, did you not message him to say you were not happy with the purchase because of the extra fault and ask for a partial or full refund? as the seller says, returns accepted.

A fair point, and I probably will contact him detailing my concerns. I know that when I post anything I try to highlight in both text and picture anything that could be of concern to a buyer and in this instance I felt that the description was far too vague. However I have no desire to spark any ongoing war of words - my question was more around what people's thoughts were on how or if the fault could fixed, which would inform any future correspondence with the seller.

Jon

I have no desire to spark a war of words either :) but the seller did say "IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED IN ANY WAY PLEASE CONTACT US FIRST SO WE CAN ATTEMPT TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE FOR YOU!" before you left him with neutral feedback
There is also a link to contact the seller with any questions you may have before you purchase, if you thought the sellers description was a bit vague, then maybe you should have done so first.

I take it you have given the Razor a good clean since you received it? with a sonic cleaner if you have one.

If not I would give Dave at restoredrazors.com an email and explain to him what the actual problems are and if you can safely disassemble it yourself, if it is worth a restore/repair. Or try and get a £30 refund, that way if you think its not worth restoring you could put it back up on the bay and get more than your money back if you listed it for spares.

jds said:
A fair point, and I probably will contact him detailing my concerns. I know that when I post anything I try to highlight in both text and picture anything that could be of concern to a buyer and in this instance I felt that the description was far too vague. However I have no desire to spark any ongoing war of words - my question was more around what people's thoughts were on how or if the fault could fixed, which would inform any future correspondence with the seller.

Jon

I'm sure you've tried this already but what I have done with a couple of razors that have been stiff, and one that appeared to have a lazy door, was (after cleaning them as detailed in this thread) to give the razor a soak overnight in mineral oil. I had a bit of difficulty finding pure mineral oil so I just used superdrug baby oil - leaves a great smell in the kitchen!

What I do is half open the razor and soak for a good few hours. Then work the mechanism open and closed a few times in the oil and leave soaking totally open for a few hours (maybe overnight at this point). I then work the mechanism again and fully close it and leave it soaking.

What I tend to find is a lot of gunk comes out in the oil and if after the overnight soak and working of the mechanism there's still gunk coming out, I repeat again and leave for another night.

To clean I then just soak in boiled water for a bit.

Doing this has left all my razors with silky smooth operations and repaired that apparently lazy door.

If none of this works and you have no recourse with the seller, I reckon Dave sounds like your best bet as well.

Al H said:
Photos do not do this mans amazing work justice

He really is amazing isn't he? That looks virtually new, perhaps even better.

Congrats, I'm sure it was worth the wait now!

Dobbo25 said:
I have no desire to spark a war of words either :) but the seller did say "IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED IN ANY WAY PLEASE CONTACT US FIRST SO WE CAN ATTEMPT TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE FOR YOU!" before you left him with neutral feedback
There is also a link to contact the seller with any questions you may have before you purchase, if you thought the sellers description was a bit vague, then maybe you should have done so first.

I take it you have given the Razor a good clean since you received it? with a sonic cleaner if you have one.

If not I would give Dave at restoredrazors.com an email and explain to him what the actual problems are and if you can safely disassemble it yourself, if it is worth a restore/repair. Or try and get a £30 refund, that way if you think its not worth restoring you could put it back up on the bay and get more than your money back if you listed it for spares.

I hear what say. It's sound advice. I was going to give it a ultrasound clean this week and also contact Dave. It would have been going there anyhow for some restoration.

Thanks.

Jon

jds said:
Dobbo25 said:

I hear what say. It's sound advice. I was going to give it a ultrasound clean this week and also contact Dave. It would have been going there anyhow for some restoration.

Thanks.

Jon
Is it Nickel or Rhodium plated?

Dobbo25 said:
jds said:
Dobbo25 said:

Thanks.

Jon
Is it Nickel or Rhodium plated?

Rhodium, I think.

I know it looks a bit mucky, Is there any brassing or pitting? Once cleaned up a replate might not be necessary.
I'd still go down the road for a partial refund say£20-£30 as the cost of repair for the doors not closing properly, which he never mentioned. :dodgy::icon_cheesygrin:

Back
Top Bottom