Question aimed at Vinny and Canuck

Wow ! That's some descriptive write up. And to think that my previous exemplar for scent comment comes from Brut Manworld & reads similar to ; Soap ...... Strip off, stand in the rain, splash on Brut shower gel. Sorted.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

joe mcclaine said:
A very hard thing to do.

Like asking someone what their top ten songs or books are - today you'd get a different answer to yesterday. Some come, some go.

I can tell you five scents that I will never be without ... ever.

Histoires De Perfums 1740 (all-time favourite)
YSL Kouros (wife's favourite)
Chanel Antaeus (the first one I ever bought out of my own money)
Aramis 900 (a present from my mum nearly 30 years ago)
Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (saw it in GQ when it first came out, never looked back)

Others that are floating my boat just lately;

Knize Sec
Annick Goutal Etoille Nuit
Le Labo Patchouli 24
Chanel Cuir De Russie
Lalique Encre Noire

Have you tried the Knize Golden Edition Vinny ?

And after you've answered that - which is the better between Tom Ford Oud Wood and Tom Ford Amber Absolute? Better as in 'do you like best?' and 'is the sexiest?'

Where oh! where are my oud samples??

As others have said, aftershaves are purely subjectional - what I like you might think smells of dead ferrets with a hint of rotten eggs :D

Here's a cheeky tip, that I tried and it worked. I was pounced on by one of the ladies who work in Debenhams perfume dept and I walked out with pocketfuls of samples. I just told her I was looking to buy for a relative an aftershave but the relative didn't know what they wanted (in fairness she probably saw right through me) and suddenly she was pulling drawers out from the bottom of the shelves of all the aftershaves - they were full of testers :)

Personally I like:

Clinique Happy
Lacoste Blanc (the white bottle, there is blue, green and red also)
Davidoff Cool Water

Just in case any of my pals / relatives was looking to buy me a good (probably read expensive) cologne for someone who genuinely likes genuine (as in 1964 Faberge) Brut, anyone got any suggestions for a kinda available scentalike ?

Bechet45 said:
And after you've answered that - which is the better between Tom Ford Oud Wood and Tom Ford Amber Absolute? Better as in 'do you like best?' and 'is the sexiest?'

Looks like you're in fragrance freefall mode Carl........excellent. Tom Ford eh? You got good taste.

I must have sniffed the Oud, but can't remember what it was like. Must not have loved it or I woulda recalled it.

The Amber Absolute is pretty amazing. Picked up an 8mm decant over a year ago and there's still some left. The kind of frag you can only wear at certain times....not for everyday use.

What's 'sexier'? Hell, whatever you wear is gonna make you even more of a babe magnet. It's not really fair to the women.........

I always heard that Montale has some excellent oud frags to choose from. I tried a few but they weren't for me. I may be in the minority though. If you know a woman who likes vanilla, they make an amazing scented one (no oud in this).

If you order direct from the company, they will include an extra atomizer full of the juice for free. Not only that, but you can ask em to increase the amount of fragrance used.

i hope this gives you a little more of a push,

Martin

RB73 said:
Have you tried the Knize Golden Edition Vinny ?

Yes, I have.

It is very similar to the original but with some of the vanilla/tonka toned down. The flowers, petrol and leather are still there.

Worth a tester full if you like the original but might not be enough of a 'flanker' to justify a full bottle.

Bechet45 said:

I've only tried the Oud Wood which was very nice but it didn't motivate me to track down a full bottle.

All the 'Ambers' I've tried have been great, with Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens being right up there near the top. Histoires De Perfumes Ambre 114 and Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur are good too but Obsession For Men is still the best (for me).

JohnnyO said:
Just in case any of my pals / relatives was looking to buy me a good (probably read expensive) cologne for someone who genuinely likes genuine (as in 1964 Faberge) Brut, anyone got any suggestions for a kinda available scentalike ?

What's up Johnny,

Ok, I have a couple ideas. First off, travel to a store that has a good selection of frags to sniff. Best way to see what's up. You can go in there with a direction in mind as to what kinda 'notes' you're looking for.

Those Brut notes are found at the link I'll include. Those bottom ones are similar to what I like, and there's plenty of stuff out there to try.

Now I believe Brut has been reformulated over the years, but what about a vintage bottle? Gotta be lots for sale and it would be less expensive than many high end new brands. Maybe even pick up a set of some kind.

Anyway, here's the link. Read the reviews, and you'll get other ideas from people who say it reminds them of whatever else it smells like.
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120258.html

joe mcclaine said:
I've only tried the Oud Wood which was very nice but it didn't motivate me to track down a full bottle.

All the 'Ambers' I've tried have been great, with Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens being right up there near the top. Histoires De Perfumes Ambre 114 and Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur are good too but Obsession For Men is still the best (for me).

That had me running upstairs! - but my bottle of 'Obsession' has 'for men' written there, too. Sudden panic because I know Carmen thinks it the best!

Sheesh, it's hard work waiting for samples to turn up - as if buying blind would help me make a choice!

Your expertise is much appreciated and valued, Vinny - thanks. I've added Amber perfume oil, to my Oud oil sample list/order.

dodgy said:
If you order direct from the company, they will include an extra atomizer full of the juice for free. Not only that, but you can ask em to increase the amount of fragrance used.

i hope this gives you a little more of a push,

Martin

Problem with buying perfume from the States is that UK Customs are 99.9% guaranteed to slam you with a import charge - takes the pleasure right out of sniffing! The opposite problem is that is so damned hard to find these frags in UK!

Tech question - I just know you are the man who will know: How do you give a push to a man in freefall?

Oooooohhhh!!! A very smelly afternoon! Colin just brought me the M7 (ordered last evening) and six rather special frags from WibbleRB73 - many thanks for those Richard.

I gotta go to Tesco - hopefully by the time I return the headiness will have worn off else my credit cards are not safe. I don't know which is which at the moment - little squirts of each have all combined to a heady miasma in my kitchen. I'm definitely over-dressed for Tesco!

Back
Top Bottom