Question aimed at Vinny and Canuck

That's the main reason i haven't made as many shave related purchases over the last twelve or so months. This side of the hobby can get stupidly expensive, especially if your other half starts wearing your collection as bloody well.:icon_rolleyes:

RB73 said:
That's the main reason i haven't made as many shave related purchases over the last twelve or so months. This side of the hobby can get stupidly expensive, especially if your other half starts wearing your collection as bloody well.:icon_rolleyes:

Not that you're averse to helping a chap down that "rabbit hole", as Dodgy would put it, with a sample or three...:angel::icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
RB73 said:

Not that you're averse to helping a chap down that "rabbit hole", as Dodgy would put it, with a sample or three...:angel::icon_razz:

What are friends for if not to help increase all these impulse purchases. :icon_razz::icon_razz:

I've not bought many scents recently though Carl, don't forget that they last forever pretty much and so your spending can spread over years. I've had the bottle of Lancome Miracle for about 8 years. You're only going to buy one or two initially I'd imagine (or hope?)
I get through a lot of splash (on my third Ogallala 8oz bottle) but that's fairly cheap.

Bechet45 said:
Can you define "initially", Canuck?

Your first purchases! I get your point though, I suppose "initially" can turn into a year and 20 scents if you're keen. :-/

Bechet45 said:
'Splash' is a bottle with a large hole and 'lasts a long time' one with a small or tiny orifice?

I'd describe a splash as a relatively weak / kind aftershave where the whole thing is low on concentrated oils, yes it's usually a bottle with a plastic hole in the top, like a vinegar bottle. Splash it on all over as our 'Enry used to say.
Proper scents (Eau de parfum, eau de toilette) that last much longer usually come with a spray top so you can spritz in an aimed fashion on your pulse points. You even get glass stoppers for touching on the wrists.

Listen to you with your orifices and lady smells, you're a dirty minded gentleman. :)

Bechet45 said:
Do you guys own all this stuff?

What's doin Carl,

I don't want you to think I have bottles of every scent on my list. In many cases, there's a large decant instead. A 10mm size one can often last me 8-10 months or longer. With some of the juice, only a very small amount is needed.

Years ago when first starting this fragrance thingy, I did lots of research at Basenotes, The Perfumed Court, and a few other places. Ordered a bunch of very small decants and eventually found some worth reordering in a larger amount.

Lucky for me, there's stores not far away that carry high end lines. So I can go in and huff some frags whenever I like....even Creed. Usually I can get through maybe half a dozen before olfactory fatigue sets in. That's even when using the coffee beans in the counter to help clear my schnozz after each couple samples......kinda like a nasal sorbet.

My suggestion would be sniff first if you can, otherwise order small decants to see what's up. Also, it can sometimes take a number of wearings before I finally decide if I like a frag enough to buy it again.

Hah, have fun going (even more) nuts,,

Martin

Bechet45 said:
Do you guys own all this stuff?

Not as many as you'd think - I have about 6 or 7 bottles - which is perhaps comparable to someone having a dozen razors and brushes and 40 soaps / creams?

When I fancy trying something new I just order a selection of samples from "First In Fragrance" and see where they take me.

I reckon I only buy a full bottle every couple of months, and I sell or trade some on here or over at Basenotes every now and then.

As with all aspects of grooming - it has the potential to be very expensive, but it doesn't have to be.

Now there is good sense, Martin! Could it be that my habit of buying in bulk to reduce the cost per measured unit does not hold good with scents?? Why buy 50ml for £45 when you can get 100ml for £75? Should have twigged from Richard's kind offer - but didn't.

Lots of sniffing and sampling then small flagons before barrels of my favourites.

This is beginning to make sense - the mechanics of it, anyway. I was about to embark arse-backwards the wrong direction up a one-way - so to speak.

I've definitely done "initially" arse-backward already - successfully so far except when considering swnnnbo (detests 'Yatagan') and expense. Dabbing on my wrists, eh? How terribly elegant!

I love gourmand, tobacco, woods, leather and the like style scents. Here's my list of favoourites.

Frapin - 1270
Tauer Perfumes - L`Air du Desert Marocain
Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
Serge Lutens - Un Bois
Comme Des Garcons - Wonderwood
Idole - Lubin
Dueto Parfums Golden Boy
Parfumerie Generale - Psychotrope
Etat Libre dOrange - Fat Electrician
L'Artisan Parfumeur - L'Eau du Navigateur

Some fascinating lists guys! Perhaps I'll plan a trip into the Big Smoke after payday and have a little wander through Les Scenteurs, Liberty's etc. I've seen CdG Wonderwood mentioned on a few occasions about the place and I think it's time to give Serge Lutens a proper go.

To answer your question, Bechet, I own 6 bottles of my list currently, have owned 2 bottles in the past, and have decants of the remainding 2.

Bechet45 said:
Now there is good sense, Martin! Could it be that my habit of buying in bulk to reduce the cost per measured unit does not hold good with scents?? Lots of sniffing and sampling then small flagons before barrels of my favourites.

After seeing more member's favorites, I'd recommend looking especially at a few of the niche type fragrance houses. Some of the members have some really nice choices.

Serge Lutens
i Profumi di Firenze
L' Artisan
Montale
Comme des Garcons
Tom Ford

More I'm forgetting at the moment I'm sure.

I think we have a game plan! Make lists of perfumers and make a trip to town - Big Smoke (I was there for the last smog - sheesh!) and visit - with all your lists in my pocket but no plastic in my wallet. Award stars for the really wow! scents and then buy small bottles.

Talking of which - where do I buy 'decants' other than ebay?

Me! On a shopping trip to London! For perfume for myself! Does funny things to a man, does this DE shaving! Or is it reading TSR?

Enjoy your trip.

Went in search of Calvin Klein Obsession Aftershave in Salisbury today. Plenty of EDT so had a good sniff. Liked it. That's the good news. But no aftershave anywhere. I have a feeling it will be the same in other local places so it's online or a trip to London to do a serious bit of research.

Back
Top Bottom