Plisson L'Occitane

Bugger! I've just been forced at gunpoint into taking the High Mountain Tubby 2...and now you refuse to come to my aid re. the Plisson. Fine bunch o' mates you turned out to be....

Dohhhh...

Nishy, that's as kind an offer as any man can make. The fact is the Tubby above is actually bought and will be here next week. Ditto the du Barbier albeit likely to take a tad longer, coming from France.

I've even ordered (and received, very quickly,) another brush holder from Edwin Jagger's site as, rightly or wrongly, I like to see the brushes all hanging neatly, bristles down, in a row....an ivory coloured one to match the Tubby. The Plisson comes with a clear holder.

Had I not succumbed already I'd have been honoured to have tried your items and I thank you muchly for your kindness.

I see the Paladin has just been sold on BST. Nishy, be as honest and direct as you wish, tell me, what might I have gained had I gone for it? And, as I briefly mentioned above, what might I gain if I went for, say, a shavemac like the following, but with, maybe, a 26mm knot in DO1...... http://www.shavemac.com/products/Shaving-Brushes/our-powerfully/Shaving-Brush-167-2B-Handmade-Extra-Silvertip-D01-2-Band.html ?

As always, thanks for time and trouble.

Oh, the Maison du Barbier! I have the black handled-version and quite fancy the white/ivory.

[/quote]

Can you give me a link to this, please, Burgundy? I keep getting artisanbarbier.com who don't do synths.

Bechet45 said:
Can you give me a link to this, please, Burgundy? I keep getting artisanbarbier.com who don't do synths.
http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber

The EUR to GBP exchange rate makes currently makes it about £32.

Just paid a PCN early. In my warped mind, I justified the £30 'saving' and the £2.39 PayPal balance to buy the Plisson.

Is this self-enablement?

DevonStan said:
Nishy, that's as kind an offer as any man can make. The fact is the Tubby above is actually bought and will be here next week. Ditto the du Barbier albeit likely to take a tad longer, coming from France.

I've even ordered (and received, very quickly,) another brush holder from Edwin Jagger's site as, rightly or wrongly, I like to see the brushes all hanging neatly, bristles down, in a row....an ivory coloured one to match the Tubby. The Plisson comes with a clear holder.

Had I not succumbed already I'd have been honoured to have tried your items and I thank you muchly for your kindness.

I see the Paladin has just been sold on BST. Nishy, be as honest and direct as you wish, tell me, what might I have gained had I gone for it? And, as I briefly mentioned above, what might I gain if I went for, say, a shavemac like the following, but with, maybe, a 26mm knot in DO1...... http://www.shavemac.com/products/Shaving-Brushes/our-powerfully/Shaving-Brush-167-2B-Handmade-Extra-Silvertip-D01-2-Band.html ?

As always, thanks for time and trouble.
Not a problem Sir! I am sure you will enjoy both brushes but I should have figured out that the trigger finger had already been raised :)

Jeez now that is a tough question. Well when I bought my tubby 2 i used it exclusively for approx 3/4 months. Its a monster but I love the fact it doesn't hog the lather or draw it to the base. It isn't the softest brush but neither is it rough like an omega boar. Its bulb shaped and has good backbone.

Sorry will get to the paladin just reminding myself how they compare.

The plisson is soft as candyfloss and I actually dont mind the wooden handle.

Negatives from both:
Plisson splays a lot and is very light
Tubby: difficult to put the lather exactly where you want it due to size also the handle isn't as comfortable as others; (conpared to high end brushes so hyper critical) it still is comfy in the hand.

Now we cone to the Paladin. Handle superb ergonomically and aesthetically full stop. Imagine if you will, wet cotton wool being caressed across your face that is what gel tips feel like. So you may ask well the Paladin is soft (as i did) but taken from the honourable Dipesh and I also found this to be spot on is that the feel of a synthetic bristle is very different to that of a badger. So in this context the gel tips of the Paladin have a more natural feel on the face. As soft as a cloud? Yes BUT now you can feel the backbone and thus bristle. Finally with the Paladin (even being of the most dense knott I have) you could put the lather on a pin head.

Best handle, best knott and looks absolutely class. I'm super impressed with lee's knott. I have never tried a large dense brush that delivers precision and this type of face feel.

If you take the backbone from the tubby and the softness of the plisson with bristle feel and put it all in a much better handle balanced perfectly you have the beginnings of the Paladin.

As with anything wet shaving its good to take it in stages so when you try or buy top end goods you have something to relate it back to that cost a fifth of the price. This way you can personally assess its value as a tool. Well that's what I like to do within reason. If i had tried the Paladin early days I think I would have dismissed some of the magic the brush wields.

Prob should say at this point I am in way an endorsement advert its just my favourite brush.

A fine addition to my education there, Nishy..... thank you again.

The Paladin was for sale for a good while - I often thought back to it but resisted.

I believe some have ordered new ones and I guess are still waiting.

Can you fill me in there at all?

The shavemac in my earlier post would, of course, be fairly readily available I imagine and it seems DO1 is well regarded?

The Plisson on order actually has a moulded handle although there, as you'll have spotted, dozens of more expensive, handles available on the site with the same synthetic knot. As I might have mentioned above I wondered about the original (wooden?) Occitane version versus the later version versus this latest, du Barbier, version. As you well know you can get one in the UK from Occitane shops for £35 up against the French (du Barbier) for £32.44 (with the holder included).

Further thanks for info and advice.

DevonStan said:
A fine addition to my education there, Nishy..... thank you again.

The Paladin was for sale for a good while - I often thought back to it but resisted.

I believe some have ordered new ones and I guess are still waiting.

Can you fill me in there at all?

The shavemac in my earlier post would, of course, be fairly readily available I imagine and it seems DO1 is well regarded?

The Plisson on order actually has a moulded handle although there, as you'll have spotted, dozens of more expensive, handles available on the site with the same synthetic knot. As I might have mentioned above I wondered about the original (wooden?) Occitane version versus the later version versus this latest, du Barbier, version. As you well know you can get one in the UK from Occitane shops for £35 up against the French (du Barbier) for £32.44 (with the handle included).

Further thanks for info and advice.
Its always a pleasure. Hopefully its mostly correct and useful. I have never owned a shavemac nor the alternative plisson handled brush.

Going by hours of research I believe the shavemac do be an amazing knott. I couldn't qualify this having not used one but reviews and from those who I trust only have good things to say. However, gone are the days of buying just a 'brush'.

Spending the value they deem makes one picky... ultra picky. Loft/shape/density/band/type all become much more apparent. So knowing what may suit you best, depending on previous experience is necessary. A few on here may be able to advise you on this better. But as far as I can make out a two band 24 loft is centred around face lathering. Again being such a quality brush (assuming the shavemac is on par with the paladin) it will still easily bowl lather, but why waste the brush? Feel the knott!

I believe B&B had a 'waiting list' for the new Paladin brushes invloving other TSR members. I do like the look of the newer handles. I dare not look at any pictures with a wedding to save for.

Other than that I believe its a waiting game. I think he has a Facebook page and email address access through that medium or via another shaving forum.

I may be wrong but I'm also reading the newer high end brushes have less of a gel tip effect as previous. Not sure if anyone can expand. This is primarily for Lee Sabini knotts in M&F handles. I have a beehive which is supersoft.

Tucked away within your reply there is a phrase which I've not heard before....."but why waste the brush? Feel the knott!".

That's something which I will remember, Nishy. I hadn't seen it quite in that context, but now you've said it I can see that "face lathering" is more than simply using it as an excuse not to bother with a bowl. Thank you for that simple but helpful point.

As you say, don't try to run before you can walk. I have, at least, found that I much prefer the bigger Jagger synthetics to the smaller (21mm) version and did use the New Forest Silvertip and Vulfix Bodger for a while prior to selling them because I'd considered I'd stick with synthetic for all the usual, logical, reasons...however I have given in to the call of the badger with the impending Tubby2 and wonder if it'll be too long before giving in to something from an even higher end like the shavemac or Paladin...just to see if there is, for me, a tangible improvement. There might not be!

Thanks for your time...appreciated.

Burgundy said:
If it makes you feel better, my brush preference is moving from Shavemac, Thäter and M&F silvertips and two-bands to Plisson synthetics. But you won't know until you try them. ;)

Well I'll certainly bear that in mind in coming days/weeks when the Plisson synthetic arrives and when the Tubby2 have arrived. I'll be able to compare them to the two existing, large and extra large, Jagger synthetics. I'll keep what you say in mind and balance it with Nishy's thoughts. If I find myself leaning YOUR way AND can get by without trying them then I'll be several hundred pounds better off :thinking:

Just had a shave with the Paladin Stan. Tge best I can describe the experience is it's akin to a face massage of the cheeks.... Face cheeks.... Clarified!

Don't stress about the Paladin for now I would enjoy tge two as you have said you will do. They will speak to you as to what you want so that ymmnv

My Plisson Synth arrived and I though I must have bought the wrong brush, certainly not the one everyone is raving about. Mine was clearly a flopmeister!

Used it this morning with a T&H cream and was astounded! A quick adjustment to a lighter touch and lather just grew thicker and richer, softest tips, lather stayed in the knot instead of descending toward the handle. At last I'm impressed with a synthetic knot!

Where do these knots fit in the development time-line? 3rd, 4th, 5th Generation?

I'm amazed and delighted!

Back
Top Bottom