Plisson L'Occitane

I think its 3rd gen, but I did my research some time back. It is a great brush, i must also be one of the few who actually likes the wooden handle.

Don't know if it's permitted, but I copy below a snippet from another post I made. I still don't know if my du Barbier, acetate handles jobbie from France has the same knot as the wooden handled ones that are referred to here, which presumably came from L'Occitane in the UK?

Have used it just once and it performed, and felt, great. Probably not £35 well spent given that the 23mm Jagger synth. is almost identical in size and doesn't feel significantly different on the skin and lathers just as well. But we just had to have one to be polite. (and it it did come with a stand included, so that made it all worthwhile).

The La Maison du Barbier turned up today. Extremely prompt delivery. Doesn't actually say Plisson on the box or the brush but we assume it is.

Having now had the ability to compare the Plisson du barbier with the Jagger 23mm side by side I would say that to all intents and purposes they are both VERY similar in dimension - the handles are different shapes but overall they look and feel about the same and the overall height of the brushes are pretty much identical - the Jagger weighs just over 61 grams and the du Barbier just over 64 grams. The knot diameter looks the same to the naked eye. When dry both lots of bristles feel similar: that, presumably, will change when wet and in use. Will use it shortly and find out.

I suspect it will resolve my curiosity but probably won't turn out to be an absolute 'must have' given that I already have the Jagger 23 and 25 and I'm wondering how much different it's gonna perform or feel in the hand and on the face.

Having first bought a du Barbier, I then bought a rather more expensive Plisson synthetic. The knots are exactly the same, and the pricing of the brushes seems to depend entirely upon the handle in which the knot is mounted. I think that this also applies to the L'occitane version.

Interestingly, the less expensive Plissons have a different logo, and it's not until the 59 euro upwards range that the gold scroll appears.

Whatever the handle, they are superb brushes, and I am constantly being lured away from my previous favourites-Simpson, Vie-long, New Forest and a couple of other badger makes. What I really want now is a Plisson synthetic knot in a Cadman handle, but I suppose that I will need to buy a "donor" Plisson to supply the knot.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Is there anywhere you could buy the Muhle 25mm synthetic knot only?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-silvertip-fibre-synthetic-knot.html

Doesn't say what size it is...others will know more than I.

But not till after the 19th May (they're on holiday).

I still say I prefer the 25mm Muhle/Jagger synth over the smaller versions of the same. But I have big hands. And still prefer the 23mm Muhle/Jagger synth. over the Plisson (22mm) synth. But, admittedly, for me, there's not a great deal in it...very fond of all three.

DevonStan said:
pugh-the-special-one said:
Is there anywhere you could buy the Muhle 25mm synthetic knot only?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-silvertip-fibre-synthetic-knot.html

Doesn't say what size it is...others will know more than I.

But not till after the 19th May (they're on holiday).

I still say I prefer the 25mm Muhle/Jagger synth over the smaller versions of the same. But I have big hands. And still prefer the 23mm Muhle/Jagger synth. over the Plisson (22mm) synth. But, admittedly, for me, there's not a great deal in it...very fond of all three.

Yes odd how they don't state what size it is.

That's a 21mm ... it's in the code: 31 corresponds to 31 in all other brushes, which are 21mm; 33, their 23mm ... and so on.

I have one of these very knots. This one is for the screw-in-and-outable handles to replace the badger knot. I put mine in a vintage handle.

I gather you can buy knots direct from Muhle, knots without the screw base.

Drop Muhle a note direct?
See: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=27429 ... 25mm pictured

No ferrule visible, just the knot, although in this thread (see: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=32227) a plastic ferrule is pictured, although perhaps removable or easily hidden in the donor handle.

Just incase anyone is interested.....despite the recent announcement that Loccitane were stopping selling the Plisson brush from what I can see that is but a myth. I went into Loccitane in Milton Keynes today and they had just restocked with plenty of brushes on the shelves. Maybe it was another Palmolive stick scaremongering attempt!

pjgh said:
They've always had them in the stores I've visited - Harrogate & Trafford Park being a couple I've visited over the last 3 months. £35, I think, something like that ...

Same here in San Francisco - all physical stores seems to have quite a bit of stock. They're selling for $30 a brush

Back
Top Bottom