Pig Cat gets a straight!

It´s ok, you can use it Neil, sniff, I´ll get by on my soap left overs :cry:

Today I got some P160, Dr Harris Marborough from two trades + I could take out a new Cade (I got some empty bowl aswell) that I got from Max from another, earlier, trade. :D

OK it's time to resurrect this thread with an update. I threw in the towel a few weeks ago, preferring to use my Schick Krona than my Dovo straight. I'm not sure exactly why I gave up. I think the time it took was getting to me, as well as never getting a completely nick-free shave experience after quite a few weeks of learning. Also I think my blade took a little knock in that last week which didn't help. Well last week I asked Neil if he'd be interested in taking my straight off my hands along with the strop. He suggested I should try some others just to see what I thought, and ended up sending me a couple. They arrived this morning and I had a shave with a rather battered (his words) Helje with a good blade. Cue amateurish SOTD style picture of the razor along with some Provence Sante soap and a 1305 brush.

dsc0950c.jpg

I used a rather larger blade angle than I had been which worked very well. I wasn't sure if I was cutting or scraping the stubble but it came off nonetheless. It wasn't BBS but there was no discomfort and more importantly no nicks or cuts! It didn't even take that long, perhaps ten minutes start to finish? I'm sitting here faceturbating and there is some stubble but mainly on my upper lip and neck. Thanks to Neil for keeping my interest alive. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

:D Da Heljes is da shit, I tell ya! :D I´m happy it seems to work in the right direction! It takes time though, I´m sorry to say and it´s not like you one day just know it all, it seems to develope all the time (but not allways in a straight direction :lol:).

Seems that -as with all things- few pick it up fast or even instantly (e.g. Max) while for others it takes more time, if that time ever comes.

Good to see you're on it, I'm new in camp but even after just 4 shaves I seem to enjoy and like it much more than I had anticipated.
Don't forget though this was my 3rd attempt (however the first 'serious' one).

N_Architect said:
Seems that -as with all things- few pick it up fast or even instantly (e.g. Max) while for others it takes more time, if that time ever comes.

Good to see you're on it, I'm new in camp but even after just 4 shaves I seem to enjoy and like it much more than I had anticipated.

Do you guys manage to use both hands when shaving. This is one thing I just couldn't do. Even trying with a butter knife I could see I'd do some damage.

Great that you've found one that seems to work better for you, Pig Cat! Since I started straight-shaving about a year ago now, and now having built up a fair collection of straights I can say that - like DEs - they all shave and handle differently. Some are far harder to get used to than others and it sounds like you simply started with one that wasn't really for you.

Keep it up! :D

NatJag said:
N_Architect said:

Do you guys manage to use both hands when shaving. This is one thing I just couldn't do. Even trying with a butter knife I could see I'd do some damage.

At the start, I never thought I'd manage to shave and use both hands with a straight - but I now manage it no problem. Takes a little practise and getting used to, but it eventually becomes natural.

Thanks LaGaffe! :D I think one reason I'm finding this a better experience is the size of the razor. It is smaller than the Dovo and seems easier to manipulate. I have also taken a tip from the mad German fellow in the YouTube vid (you know, he shaves his whole face in about three minutes) and used a larger blade angle. It scraped a little but I got no nicks and a pretty good shave. I'm actually looking forwards to tomorrow. My Schick Krona is looking rather sad at the moment. :(

NatJag said:
N_Architect said:

Well, instantly maybe not, but quickly ;) and no, use one hand only, makes me use some funny angles, but my theory is whatever works is right. :)

Max

NatJag said:

I´m a right hand man, but I do use both when shaving - it took some time to get there, but it´s worth it. I promise ... I never did learn to shave ATG with my left hand on my right neck (didn´t dare to), but I recently forced myself to start doing it and I´ve been at it for almost a month now and things starts to get better now, much better actually :D Funny thing though, I used my razors as kamisoris before (when going aTG pon the neck and right side cheak) and it actually helped me when I started using a Kamisori :lol:

Pig Cat said:
Thanks LaGaffe! :D I think one reason I'm finding this a better experience is the size of the razor. It is smaller than the Dovo and seems easier to manipulate. I have also taken a tip from the mad German fellow in the YouTube vid (you know, he shaves his whole face in about three minutes) and used a larger blade angle. It scraped a little but I got no nicks and a pretty good shave. I'm actually looking forwards to tomorrow. My Schick Krona is looking rather sad at the moment. :(

I'll have the St Anne's Jombulance Brigade standing by with the plasters & bandages, just in case... :lol:

lagaffe said:
Pig Cat said:

I'll have the St Anne's Jombulance Brigade standing by with the plasters & bandages, just in case... :lol:

:D Well another nick-free shave this morning. though I must work on my lather-building as mine starts to disappear before I've done a pass. Think I need to put the face-lathering on hold and get the old cappuccino mug out...

Hi PigCat, I would recommend my own videos, but they are in spanish...I have a heavy and dense beard, this have "helped" me to chose my style...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWkGKqRktE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw5UgVbGq-8[/youtube]

They are videos to show my way to shave myself, in the last video I shave one side ATG and another WTG, because when I want to have more comfort (less close shave), or I want to save time I do 2 passes WTG and it goes well for me

Thanks Jose, great vids. :D You take your time over your shave with short strokes. I have been guilty of doing quite long sweeps so this has given me pause for thought. My next ambition is to go ATG. Part of the problem here is 'learning' how to hold the razor differently to do this, but I'm working on it.

Back
Top Bottom