Pig Cat gets a straight!

I´m sorry to say that it takes 2-4 months to get a very good shave, first hurdle is around 20 shaves and after that you get half decent to decent shaves (where you guys seems to be right now) for a couple of months. I´m sitting here and typing and I´m almost stubble free, like after a DFS and it´s almost 9 hours since I shaved ... This has been my experience though.

Thanks guys, you are spurring me on to greater things. Yes I've only been shaving with a straight for three weeks so I will hang in there for a few more weeks and see how things improve. I'll try to update this thread so I can look back and see the changes. I have yet to move on to different grips so that is something to work on too.

:D

Whilst I've only managed about 6 or 7 straight shaves I have progressed to nick free shaves after my first 2 efforts. I bought a new Dovo that Neil honed and I find the heavier 6/8 blade better for me. I get a reasonable amount of irritation afterwards but this is exactly the same as DE shaving was at the start. I'm now trying to use less pressure on the blade and trying different passes.

I remember thinking what have I done when I started DE shaving so have confidence that things will come.

Best thing I've learnt so far is to lead with the point. Sometimes I find the blade is at an angle / as I'm shaving N - S as opposed to more horizontally and leading slightly with the point end of the blade. Whilst not as close as a DE shave all over, my cheeks are and remain so for longer.

I've also been DE shaving every so often to remove the stubble when I find it too long to straight shave. I find straight shaving easier to practice angles etc when my face is recently shaved. Downside of this is it causes more irritation from over shaving so not ideal!

Not stretching my skin enough is also a problem that I'm working on!

simmo3801 said:
Not stretching my skin enough is also a problem that I'm working on!

This too is something I should try more. It sounds silly but there's an arrogant side of me that keeps saying I don't need to. Probably because I don't do this when I DE shave I am keen to avoid it when I straight shave. It seems a bit of a hassle, but I am sure there is a good reason for doing it. :roll:

Just had a shave actually and apart from one silly nick on the chin I am smoother than I have been to date without much irritation. I actually used a balm as post-shave as opposed to aftershave which stung like hell. This may be the way forward.

hando said:
try stretching your skin when you DE shave

might get you in the habit

mind you i have a baggy face :lol:

Me too. It's quite rubbery like Rowan Atkinson. Well, not to look at but if I squeeze my cheek and pull it all stretches out. :shock:

Not the actual skin though like this fellow, and of course nowhere near as much:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hMIC_XKeU[/youtube]

Actually it is rather gross so don't watch if you've just eaten. :hungrig

:lol: Make's me feel really good about the lack of collagen in my skin!

Just noticed Simmo pipped me to the post; is that collagen that isn't required for a DE shave? :D Because my childhood memories of my grandfather DE shaving would suggest that at some stage in your life, skin stretching will become necessary.

soapalchemist said:
at some stage in your life, skin stretching will become necessary.

That was pretty much the extent of my Dad's birds and bees advice. :roll:

OK can we get back OT here chaps, my thread is turning in to smutty irrelevance. :oops: Who'd have thought it? :?

Alright best get things back on track! I had a really good shave today and am feeling much more upbeat about things. I employed some skin stretching and found that by doing so I could eliminate shaving on my jawline altogether keeping most of the areas flat. The chin is fine too though I keep missing a little bit underneath. Actually the trickiest bits now are the edges of my neck and my upper lip. Plus of course the challenge of going ATG but that's getting there too. Anyway, suffice to say Mrs PC is very impressed, which means a lot considering how dubious she was about the whole venture. :D

Pig Cat said:
Alright best get things back on track! I had a really good shave today and am feeling much more upbeat about things. I employed some skin stretching and found that by doing so I could eliminate shaving on my jawline altogether keeping most of the areas flat. The chin is fine too though I keep missing a little bit underneath. Actually the trickiest bits now are the edges of my neck and my upper lip. Plus of course the challenge of going ATG but that's getting there too. Anyway, suffice to say Mrs PC is very impressed, which means a lot considering how dubious she was about the whole venture. :D

Congrats! :D

I find I always get irritation around my adams apple, to reduce it I stretch the skin to the side (again making flat) and shave downwards then stretch the other way and shave. This elimates the fiddling around that area!

Still not mastered the chin yet apart from looking straight up and pulling a funny face!

I don't even consider ATG, even with a DE, after my WTG pass I lather again, wash it off (please don't hang me!, I find the soap has left enough slickness to shave with) with cold water (makes the hairs stand on end!) and shave, not BBS but close enough for me!

Back
Top Bottom