Pig Cat gets a straight!

Well I got a very big surprise on Christmas morning. Mrs PC, who for what seems like years has refused to even contemplate the idea of a straight razor in the house, actually bought me one for Christmas!! :shock: :D I think this could be my first ever post in the Straight Razor area of the forum which in itself is noteworthy.

So I am now the owner of a Dovo razor and a basic Neil Miller strop. My first concern was whether it was shave-ready or not. I have been without internet access for the last few days so was unable to check, but thought that The Invisible Edge wouldn't have sent one out that wasn't. I've checked this evening and it should be, but I must admit to doubting this while I tried my first shave. :? The first obstacle was how to hold the thing. I've seen the way they are held but without the internet to check I was really just improvising and that made things tricky. I started with my cheeks from the sideburns down and was actually getting some stubble off until I met the jawline. At this point things just stopped as, though I hadn't nicked myself so far, I felt sure that I would sooner or later.

At the moment I'm on dial-up which is very slooooow and no good for watching vids. Can anyone recommend any particular videos to watch on YouTube for when my broadband is back please? And no, not the one with that German fellow shaving in about ten seconds flat!!

:shave

yay!

welcome to the cool club PC!

I don't think there's much getting away from the jawline being a toughie at first, either finish with a de or accept your jaw may be slightly off bbs for a bit.

Skin stretching, facial contorsions and a confident stroke will lead to occasional cuts and much better shaves in my experience - unfortunately we don't do innuendo based humour on this part of the forum.

Really good video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg[/youtube]

mmmmm. Her indoors has been vehemently against you owning a straight and then she buys you one for Xmas?

Now your broadband is down so you can't check out any straight shaving vids? :shock:

Must be me but it's a pop really.

Well, that's quite a turn up for the books, PC. I'm sure you'll be fine with it, but I really, really recommend that you don't use that Bluebeards stuff with it, at least for the time being. Stick to that nice organic, ethically impeccable Nanny's soap and you'll be far better off, trust me on this.

Arrowhead said:
matt31 said:
not that I've done it, but is there a reason you shouldnt use the bluebeards with a straight?
Well, it was mostly a little in joke. Nonetheless, I've rarely come across a soap or cream which gave me less protection, but each to their own of course.

Funnily enough I got a big glossy book extolling (i.e. advertising) Bluebeard's Revenge that cam with my Cyril R Salter Samdalwood cream (my Xmas gift from brother-in-law). Anyway, one of the encomia from a chap called Adam. No double entendres or Yiddish, though, so I thought I couldn't be from our chap out east . . . could it?

Anyway, that brochure was enough to put me off: some kind of hair retarding chemical is used, like Agent Orange for the old face forest. No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom