Phoenix and Beau: Menthol soap testers required

Personally I love the 'face feel' that menthol gives.

I've previously added menthol to unmentholated shave creams - not because they were 'bad', but simply because they lacked menthol.

I try to ensure that I use a soap / cream or a post shave containing menthol every shave - love it! :) (sadly I haven't found that it hides a bad shave)

from the American "artisanal" soap reviews ive seen,
Its just a marketing gimmick at best or at worsts is simply a way to make people want to buy a soap that otherwise is unusable for anything but hand washing. Ive seen quite a few people who rave and moan about how wonderful a particular soap is once they ad menthol crystals to it, and suddenly what they called a "worthless mediocre hand soap" the previous year is now " the best shave in the world with no razor burn whatsoever once they ad a half cup of menthol crystals to a 4oz tub of soap.
Sources please or its just another floating comment.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A question if I may, have you tried any mentholated soaps (or indeed any mentholated shave products) at all?

I do get where he's coming from.

My first instance with strong, eye watering menthol was a little odd with the face feel. Was it cooling and numbers or irritation and harshness from the razor. It was of course the soap and splash but still and odd sensation.

There is cooling and freshness and then there is a burn feeling. It's what floats your boat?

Menthol is a Mild Analgesic Pain Killer..It also Tricks the Receptors in the Skin into Feeling a Cold Sensation..That's where the Paradoxical Heat Sensation can Come from Depending on How much is being Used..The Skin Receptors can Heat up to Counter the Coldness because they get Confused..Its Called a "Pardoxical Effect"..:)

I used to have Do Training on the Effects of Menthol with Health Care Professionals because its Popular with Heroin Users to Cool Down the Effects of Smoking Heroin on the Lungs..:D

Billy

I do get where he's coming from.

My first instance with strong, eye watering menthol was a little odd with the face feel. Was it cooling and numbers or irritation and harshness from the razor. It was of course the soap and splash but still and odd sensation.

There is cooling and freshness and then there is a burn feeling. It's what floats your boat?
Eye watering is one thing, a nice refreshing feel is another entirely :) On a hot day, the cool, fresh sensation is quite pleasant. I use my own blend preshave oil (menthol and peppermint oil) when I want that sensation, or Proraso Green.

@Bezoar - it's just morbid curiosity :) Not having a dig at all, it's just the way your posts are worded lead me to think it's something you've not tried.

I used to have Do Training on the Effects of Menthol with Health Care Professionals because its Popular with Heroin Users to Cool Down the Effects of Smoking Heroin on the Lungs..:D

Billy

If I'm reading that right, heroin smokers add menthol to the mix so to speak, in order to 'cool' their lungs down whilst smoking?

If I'm reading that right, heroin smokers add menthol to the mix so to speak, in order to 'cool' their lungs down whilst smoking?
Yeah..Its Popular with Some to Do that..The Problem is though that it Opens up the Capillaries of the Lungs & Does them More Harm..Moreover, Because it is a Mild Analgesic it Masks the Damage of the Capillaries being further Opened..;)

That's Why Menthol Cigarettes are Bad News..A Lot of Cannabis users will use Menthol Tobacco for the same Reason..:D

Billy

Last edited:
I don't personally understand the point of the menthol additives.

hide a bad shave? from bad razor choice or bad razor control ? or to hide that the soap doesn't protect as it should?

from the American "artisanal" soap reviews ive seen,
Its just a marketing gimmick at best or at worsts is simply a way to make people want to buy a soap that otherwise is unusable for anything but hand washing. Ive seen quite a few people who rave and moan about how wonderful a particular soap is once they ad menthol crystals to it, and suddenly what they called a "worthless mediocre hand soap" the previous year is now " the best shave in the world with no razor burn whatsoever once they ad a half cup of menthol crystals to a 4oz tub of soap.

Yep, the menthol throws off the dogs, so to speak,

Everyone knows the crappy soap batches get melted down again and lots of menthol is added this next time. The menthol freeze hides that bad shave you were talking about and also helps close the pores to avoid the sometime tremendous loss of blood due to lack of cushion or slip.

I think a half cup of crystals added to 4 ounces of shaving cream might be a little on the light side.

You just keep doin what you're doin and don't listen to these guys calling you a troll or idiot or something like that. You got things figured just right.

Martin

Oh Kerry, it's hard to tell for sure but there may have been a small amount of facetious humor that somehow crept into the post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom