Phoenix and Beau: Menthol soap testers required

I tried mine last night. No lathering problems whatsoever. It was colder especially on the second and third passes. Noticably so. I think you have it spot on now. Great soap.

Hi Kerry, I used the sample this morning.

First I will set the scene as you requested. I'm not a menthol head.

The only cold soaps I own are Proraso green and a Sterling sample of Margaritas in the Arctic which I cannot remember using. However I do have the Proraso preshave which is akin to putting Vicks vapour rub on your face. I regularly use the Proraso green soap and preshave for cold water shaves when away with work for an early morning kick up the arse. Also it helps prepare for the lack of hot water usually ;)

Now about your Denali.

It's a great soap, but that's expected of P&B! The lather is great, post shave feel, slickness etc all present. I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with its performance.

The scent is enjoyable. Being a menthol type soap it wasn't going to be one that keeps you returning to the bathroom to have a sniff, I mean who goes back to smell Proraso? It was however pleasant and if you were to tweak or retain I wouldn't lose sleep.

I used the soap without preshave and with hot water and had a great two pass shave (P&B - Never in doubt). It was cold, and the post shave cold water splash was refreshing. I will give it more shaves and feedback but early indications are good.

If pushed I would say colder would be preferable. However I will give it a go as a cold water shave and maybe a preshave one as well seeing as it was a nice sized sample.

One thought though, if the menthol heads and I want it too cold for the majority, how about a limited edition that gives 'em brain freeze ;)

Shame I missed this. 'Cold' soaps are a bit of an enigma for me - some sub zero level soaps can give me irritation, but then so can some of the less extreme - Proraso being one. As I get no irritation with P&B's other scents and like the chill, I'd be interested to see if I could get a decent level chill and no reaction. Guess I'll wait for release and take a punt.

Second go with the sample today and my original thoughts still stand. If you like you could have the rest of my sample. Sounds like a worthwhile test for P+B. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Shame I missed this. 'Cold' soaps are a bit of an enigma for me - some sub zero level soaps can give me irritation, but then so can some of the less extreme - Proraso being one. As I get no irritation with P&B's other scents and like the chill, I'd be interested to see if I could get a decent level chill and no reaction. Guess I'll wait for release and take a punt.
Forgot to quote your post! Hopefully not too confusing.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Used my sample this morning. Very easy to lather. The performance is top notch and the post shave is as good as ever. The strongest scent is peppermint followed by eucalyptus then menthol. I do like a strong menthol soap and find this still on the low side, and don't find it as cooling as I would like. I think it should have much more menthol, then it will deserve the name of the coldest mountain on earth. I've never tried a strong menthol commercial soap like MITA so I can't compare. I often add menthol to some of my soap lathers.

Second shave with Denali last night. It is definitely colder using cold water. Almost to my menth-head level of satisfaction ;)
Performance is good, I have to admit I do get an issue, which I haven't got from any other of your soaps Kerry, that is an itchy feeling post shave (having not added another product). As no one else has experienced this it may just be in my case. Using a Manchurian badger I whipped up a good lather. It doesn't explode like the rest of your soaps (maybe because of the menthol, I find it usually degrades cushion) but it certainly is a very good protective lather. The scent is definitely growing on me, apart from the fact I can definitely smell a soap base (plasticine like) alongside the mixture.

I would say the scent I get isn't urea or cats wee or ammonia. It is a plasticine type of smell, the same as the first sample of unscented some time back.
I was thinking more of the others I own. Sanskrit, Obsidian and Spitfire. The Denali doesn't have it.

2 shaves into the sample & in my opinion, perfect.

3 passes & a cold water rinse, great.
This would be my go-to soap in the warmer weather, the menthol level is just right & builds nicely.
Terrific post shave feel,. I've topped it off with myrsol c on both occasions.
More menthol & it would edge towards becoming a novelty soap that I wouldn't reach for nearly as often.
As it is, I think it's a winner.

The lather is a little less creamy/sticky as the Citra Royale sample I've recently been enjoying (thanks @nick_s !)
It's a slightly glossier, looser consistency. Just as good, different.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom