Closed PASSAROUND: The TSR Wandering Wedge

Guys,

Let me present this fun little Thomas Turner - he's an 11/16ish near wedge with a bit of a smile, an awkward nose and a tendency to chew his own scales.

IMG_9610.JPG

That said, he's a good shaver.

I was sent it as a PIF to "do up" if I could and to be frank, honing is about all I can do for this fellow, but he does want some new scales which will hopefully solve his overbite.

Let's start passing him around ...

Included is a Dixie Barber hone to pick up the edge as it drops off, just a few strokes back and forth on this hone will do that. But, that is no substitute for stropping.

So, if you drop your name onto the list for the passaround, please do strop it as you use it - if you don't have a "proper" strop, well, improvise! Old Tommy doesn't much care how you do it, he's happy to be stropped on old jeans, on newspaper, up an old car seatbelt, but he does like to be stropped.

As we go, if you can contribute something to this passaround, please do ...

I'd like to see breakpoints in the list with folks who can undertake some maintenance on the edge, perhaps even try to do something with his nose ... which is a bit out of joint, and, if you could re-scale him, please do as these scales are sloppy and knackered. What I thought would be fun in the meantime would be to scratch your username onto the scales as we go.

So, if you can do some maintenance work or perhaps rescale him, or even reshape the blade, please indicate that in the list.

To join, simply copy the list and add your name to it ...

The razor and hone together weigh 175g with a padded envelope. Laid flat and side by side, this will fit into a "large letter" format for which costs are: £2.75 1st Class Recorded & £2.58 2nd Class Recorded - please use recorded delivery so as to save embarrassment between you and the next guy. If he gets lost, well, recover as much of the cost as you can and perhaps buy another to pass on.

So, the list ...

Well, I have it now, so:

1. pjgh

If you want to have a shave with our Tom, copy the list and add your name.

Not at all ... jump on if that's what you want to play with.

It's something like an 8K ish and on the back advises no more than a handful of strokes. If you look for "Barber Hone" on YouTube, you'll see some instruction on how to use it. By the fifth person on the list it might want a little touch-up.

1 .pjgh
2. Whosthedaddy
3. mattyb240
4. Mikebrownington
5.redhorseman(rescale, maybe)

I can possibly provide some ornate machined brass or stainless scales if my design works out on my own razor.

if the person before me. could touch up the blade before sending as I am very inexperienced with razor maintanace.

Right, we've got five to get this started ... let me have your address, Whosthedaddy and we'll get on with it ...

Carry on adding names, folks! Old Tom here wants to travel the length and breadth of our collective countries :D

1 .pjgh
2. Whosthedaddy
3. mattyb240
4. Mikebrownington
5. redhorseman(rescale, maybe)
6. Nico1970

Thanks Paul for the chance to try the big lad out. Cheers!

Whosthedaddy said:
Guess what the postie delivered today...

I don't know ... a human head? :D

Muhahhaa ...

I'm in a daft mood today. Have fun with the razor. If you feel the edge, it doesn't feel that keen, but wedges often don't. Shave with it and see how you go. While honing it, I got the impression that it lost its keen-ness from the diamond sprayed hone overnight without being touched, but I think it just sorted itself out. It is actually magnetic!

Great! We're off ...

Take your time, enjoy and pass him along. I know he'd like to visit the length and breadth of our respective countries.

Anyone else interested, just copy the list and add your name.

Stroked the crox paste a little and then a good old strop and it feels spot on, popping hairs on the HHT. I agree with the wedge feeling a little less keen than an extra hollow but am sure the more its stropped the finer and better the edge.

The hone looks similar in martial to the aluminox or aluminate one I used to have. No good at setting bevels or removing material but not too bad for refreshing an edge.

Forgot to mention, the Rams horn blanks are a little small but I do have a blonde Bulls horn blank that may be better suited, I'll pop it in when I send it on and see if someone fancies cutting a set.

Whosthedaddy said:
Stroked the crox paste a little and then a good old strop and it feels spot on, popping hairs on the HHT. I agree with the wedge feeling a little less keen than an extra hollow but am sure the more its stropped the finer and better the edge.

The hone looks similar in martial to the aluminox or aluminate one I used to have. No good at setting bevels or removing material but not too bad for refreshing an edge.

Forgot to mention, the Rams horn blanks are a little small but I do have a blonde Bulls horn blank that may be better suited, I'll pop it in when I send it on and see if someone fancies cutting a set.

Super! Progression was 1000, 4000 & 8000 on ceramic, then 10K & 12K slate. Diamond spray after, then back up to to CrOx to knock off the harshness from diamond, so re-doing on CrOx was spot-on. Good to hear the hair test works - I simply cannot perform that test with my hair even on edges which have confirmed HHT from other honers.

Good on you for contributing to replacement scales. Cheers! Let's hope someone down the line has the skills to take that little job forward.

BigBoar said:
Good to see this old lad finally getting some use! Nice one Paul.

Well, I got it started anyway ...

Looks like some potential replacement scales have been found, so hopefully someone can do something with that and perhaps someone down the line can do something a little more radical with the upturned nose.

I also hope this one keeps on travelling - the TSR Wandering Wedge! :D

Back
Top Bottom