OSX Mountain Lion Anyone?

manickennel said:
£20 for what would be a Service Pack update in Windows doesn't really excite me. iCloud less useful for me, as I have an Android phone ATM. Will most likely spend the company's money to update our company G5 first before seeing if I need it for the home MacBook Pro.

Macs do get service updates and no you don't have to pay for them and they vary from a few MB's to GB's in size depends what they are tweaking.

Icloud is ok no better than googles offerings at the moment but it will get developed over time.

Have to say I don't find this much of an upgrade. Apple are really peeing me off at the minute. I know it's a business but every new thing they release feels like they want to rip my money from my hands. At least other companies try to be more subtle.

This connector change on ipads for example...

brushfan said:
Have to say I don't find this much of an upgrade. Apple are really peeing me off at the minute. I know it's a business but every new thing they release feels like they want to rip my money from my hands. At least other companies try to be more subtle.

This connector change on ipads for example...

What connector change on iPads? Are you talking about the rumoured iPhone? It's not trying to take money it's developing a better products and if they need to make it smaller they will, they have after all used that 30pin connector since 2001ish??

Plus if the rumours are to believed an adaptor would be coming as well.

I'm p'd off because Mountain Lion is not compatible with my Mac Pro, it's a late 2006 so it's getting on but I hadn't expected a £2000 computer to be obsolete that quickly.

BTW the rumour is that the next gen of iPads, iPhones will use a new mini connector.

BazC said:
I'm p'd off because Mountain Lion is not compatible with my Mac Pro, it's a late 2006 so it's getting on but I hadn't expected a £2000 computer to be obsolete that quickly.

BTW the rumour is that the next gen of iPads, iPhones will use a new mini connector.

You think 6 years is quickly? I don't argue it's a great and capable machine but considering apple stop servicing the machines after 6 years you have to draw the line somewhere. Some is down to hardware capabilities some is marketing!

Helveticum said:
2k? What config is that? Not even Retina ones seem to retail at that price.. But yeah, that's something you should expect with a 6y.o. laptop.

Not a laptop, it's the desktop/tower. The whole point of a tower is that it's supposed to be upgradeable and have a long life.

I don't agree it's inevitable with a six year old machine, it's a 64bit Intel machine and perfectly capable of running the latest version of OSX if Apple was prepared to allow it. Hell it'll run Windows 7. My old G3 and G4 machines only became obsolete when Apple switched to Intel processors and even then they were still supported for a few versions of OSX. It doesn't really fit in with Apple's marketing of the longevity of their machines either! Nope this is purely to get me to buy a new computer and it's left a sour taste in my mouth.

BazC said:
Helveticum said:
Oh yeah, that sounds like Apple :)
At one time I would have argued with you about that, Apple used to look after their customers, doesn't seem to be the case any more!

Just out of interest - could you give a few examples of how exactly did they look after customers?

Just great after sales service, friendly knowledgeable staff. Trusting their customers - even when you were supposed to have one copy of OSX for every computer you used they never checked up on it, no registration system for the OS or most of their software. Just less hassle generally. If I want to install Windows I have to jump through hoops and sign my life away in order for MS to let me run it and woe betide me if I have to reinstall for any reason. OS updates have always been cheap next to Windows and maintained backwards compatibility for the most part. They always used to support their old hardware as long as was practical. In the last few years though that's gone out of the Window.

My iPod touch stopped being upgradeable just 2 or 3 years after I bought it, it still worked of course just couldn't run all the latest games and software. I could still browse the web and pick up my emails. At least I could until they dropped Mobile Me and launched iCloud, now it's not compatible with that either so I can't even pick up my emails any more.

I've stopped spending on technology for some time. All getting a bit out of date but everything is working and doing what I need. I'm not missing Mobile Me, I just make sure I'm aware that everything isn't synchronised and take any action that's really needed.

You see, Microsoft is a software company (well, used to be :)), so it's kinda logical they charge for their OS 'full price'. Whereas apple hides the software costs in their hardware margins. And it is amazing how people praise Apple for cheap OS having paid 2 grand for their Mac, and blame MS for charging 70 quid for the OS when they'd paid WAY under a grand for their PC. Simples :)

I am bang slap in the middle of ripping all my DVD's using Handbrake on my MacBook Pro and then copying them to an HP MicroServer running WHS 2011 for streaming to any television or device in the house via a couple of different methods. Have an ATV3 and also a DreamBox and one room has an xBox.

I will upgrade my MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion as there are a few I will use. For £14 it is a steal even for airplay alone and I like the new interface improvements.

My only hurdle is that Handbrake is not compatible with Mountain Lion yet. I know I could switch to a different ripper but I hate that, I want to rip them all the same way as I know the results work well. Going to finish ripping my DVD's and then upgrade my early 2011 model to this OS.

I am no fanboy but I do think Mountain Lion is a good OS, it has the enough improvements over Lion to make it worthwhile and is not going to make me have to repurchase a load of applications. Ironically Handbrake is free and there are alternatives if it is not compatible by the time I upgrade. Just want to finish what I started before making a change to the setup.

No it's not really that simple, if you buy a Windows computer you get the OS thrown in pretty much for free MS only sting you if you want to upgrade from one OS to their latest offering, then if you want to use a multi core machine they sting you a bit more, if you want to use more than a certain amount of Ram they sting you more still and then if you want to use server level OS they sting you even more. Apple has one version, one price OS, no confusion no hidden costs. Plus as I said no registration and no criminal investigation if you have to reinstall which reminds me of another point. Macs come with installation disks so you can reinstall - easily. I don't think many if any Windows machines come with installation disks any more.

Anyway, I'm not here to convince you Apple are better than MS just backing up my assertion that Apple used to take care of their customers.

Back
Top Bottom