OSX Mountain Lion Anyone?

jaycey said:
Since converting to OSX I stuck 2 fingers up at all my previous associations and now live a happy content life without my phone ringing a couple of times a week "I cant get windows to start"

I have happy dreams now:)

Funny, I've not had any issues whatsoever after switching to Win7. But have seen people with plenty of issues with their MacOS. Just saying :)
Anyway, it's all about maintenance. It's evidently easier to mess up Windows, because you've got more privileges and settings, and with Mac you're just doing what uncle Steve thought you should.

Helveticum said:
jaycey said:
Since converting to OSX I stuck 2 fingers up at all my previous associations and now live a happy content life without my phone ringing a couple of times a week "I cant get windows to start"

Funny, I've not had any issues whatsoever after switching to Win7. But have seen people with plenty of issues with their MacOS. Just saying :)
Anyway, it's all about maintenance. It's evidently easier to mess up Windows, because you've got more privileges and settings, and with Mac you're just doing what uncle Steve thought you should.

Everyone has issues, you still have access and privileges it's just people don't know how to get to it.

As with everything in life it's almost all user error!

mattyb240 said:
Everyone has issues, you still have access and privileges it's just people don't know how to get to it.

As with everything in life it's almost all user error!

Those that do know how to "get" to them usually use Debian instead ;)

I'm still happily running Windows XP. I haven't upgraded because it does everything that I want it to do. I won't consider upgrading until I want to do something that XP cannot do. I adopt this attitude for all software, and I'd be the same if I were a Mac user.

Unfortunately, it seems that Apple make it more difficult to operate this way.

Ian

£20 for what would be a Service Pack update in Windows doesn't really excite me. iCloud less useful for me, as I have an Android phone ATM. Will most likely spend the company's money to update our company G5 first before seeing if I need it for the home MacBook Pro.

manickennel said:
£20 for what would be a Service Pack update in Windows doesn't really excite me. iCloud less useful for me, as I have an Android phone ATM. Will most likely spend the company's money to update our company G5 first before seeing if I need it for the home MacBook Pro.

Presumably it's a power pc g5? If that's the case mountain lion won't run on it anyway as its only intel it supports.

What debian? I've not heard of it but sounds interesting?

And as Ian says, people get excited about upgrades, I'm going to do it as I want air play to my apple tv otherwise I wouldn't bother!

Dr Rick said:
Debian's what we used to use before Ubuntu came along ;).

(Telling that Swype knows only the latter of those names...)

Ahhh I see, haven't ran Ubuntu in ages! I don't know call me simple but I can be bothered to go in and mess around with the innards of operating systems.

Helveticum said:
jaycey said:

Sorry, I was just referring to WinXP.
I thought WinXP turned out to be ok, but only in the later stages of it's life. The first few years was hard work!
I agree, Win7 has been a good en. Vista was a mistake.

Dr Rick said:
Debian's what we used to use before Ubuntu came along ;).

(Telling that Swype knows only the latter of those names...)

Some of my friends would say - if you're talking Ubuntu, there's no need in discussing Linux))) It's just bells and wistles, like MacOS, nothing serious in terms of security and reliability. Unless you really work on it.

That's me being dense and getting G5s and Core i5s mixed up. It's Intel-based, it was bought to replace a PowerPC machine.

mattyb240 said:
manickennel said:

Presumably it's a power pc g5? If that's the case mountain lion won't run on it anyway as its only intel it supports.

What debian? I've not heard of it but sounds interesting?

And as Ian says, people get excited about upgrades, I'm going to do it as I want air play to my apple tv otherwise I wouldn't bother!

Helveticum said:
Some of my friends would say - if you're talking Ubuntu, there's no need in discussing Linux))) It's just bells and wistles, like MacOS, nothing serious in terms of security and reliability. Unless you really work on it.

When I used to administer university department servers, I used Debian. Now I'm just running a home desktop, Ubuntu does me just fine. *shrug*

Just thought I would update, I have installed it on my machine, and it feels very snappy! I'm actually surprised as I felt Lion was never quick for me, this feels more like Leopard>Snow Leopard almost leaner!

Haven't had chance to play much with notifications or air play yet but will update as time goes on.

You got a developer account? not having a poke just curious if you had any good insights.

I will upgrade for Airplay alone, there are a few other niggles that ML appears to resolve so for the price it is worth it. Bu as always not right away; let others be the crash test dummies.

I can't say I'm wowed by all the features But I'm all for improvements and additions, safari 6 is really nice much slicker.

The whole thing is just a lot snappier at the moment, I do like the addition of notes and can't wait to try Air Play which as you say is worth the upgrade alone!

Back
Top Bottom