OSX Mountain Lion Anyone?

mattyb240 said:
Hand break is awesome! Why won't you import from time machine? If you don't want to do a complete restore just use migration assistant in the OS and pick what you want to come across much easier and can exclude your library by not importing your user account or choosing the folder you want.

Don't get me wrong I do think Time Machine is a great tool, it has saved my bacon on more then one occasion. it was just Time Machine was not holding anything I wanted to keep.

Having completed a fresh install I have to say I am impressed with this OS. Sure there are new features but I find this revision to have tidied a few areas i found a little clunky and I like the way they have polished the end product.

I really did (and do not) want an iOS on my MacBook and thankfully I do not see this as the feared homogenised desktop many predicted. Maybe they will head that way one day but for now they seem to have concentrated more on making what is good in iOS available in it's own distinct desktop platform.

This is a lengthy review I found a good read. Mountain Lion Review

I agree with most of what he concludes but my indifference to a belief that one is better or worse make it a bit of a moot point. I do and will continue to use Windows and various Linux distributions as and when needed for my job.

So far so good, Airplay is a worth of mention as a welcome new feature along with notifications which has been implemented well. Apart from that I don't see me radically changing how I use it.

Interesting read Martin, is it a less buggy release? I would be concerned with a yearly release schedule, it doesn't give much dev time.

I would definitely agree, I do not want iOS on my iMac. It's definately much more refinedthan 10.7, not so heavy on the features but it feels so much leaner than lion did. I've not had a single lock up with 10.8 not that I did with 10.7 but I know others who have had issues with lion.

In my limited usage it is much less buggy but I am not ready to declare it yet. Give me the a week or two to torture it and I will tell you if it is less buggy but so far I would say absolutely less buggy. It really feels like Win7 compared to Vista. Not a lot of new features but what is there works very smoothly.

Mail has the biggest improvements for me. My IMAP accounts frequently disconnected on LION but so far this seems to make the connection every time. Safari is also now a contender for a usable browser, the integrated single bar is intuitive and seems natural.

Pulling Ethernet cable sometimes had me waiting for ages for WiFi to kick in (both are set on different reserved IP's). Sometimes I would have to disable and re enable the adapter and bingo everything was fine again. Wifi/Ethernet switching in this release is quicker and I suspect they have tweaked the TCPIP stack, throughput seems better but hard to ay for sure since my Lion install was meddled and non standard.

The install process is much slicker and quicker and it just feels snappy. I also am a little concerned at a yearly release, will my 2011 MacBook be not able to take the next release? To be honest if this OS is as stable as it seems I would see no reason to move from it. There are no compelling features in the pipeline so given the choice of waiting another two years and putting up with fixes for Lion which have little effect I would take 10.8 any day of the week.

Will report back in a week or two but any questions from anyone feel free to ask.

I have not noticed any difference. If I am running more applications it drains faster if not it drains slower but I have never timed it or made any measurements since upgrading. Having said that I have hardly used it off mains for the last while as I have been ripping movies which would drain any laptop faster.

I will check what mine says and what I actually get but I do think many people go looking for issues.

Thankfully I made a Lion recovery USB stick with the complete installer before I upgraded just in case I wanted to back out of Mountain Lion. However given how slick and well this OS is running I would accept a small hit in battery for the gain in performance and features. As long as it doesn't go down like the fuel gauge on a Bugatti Veyron at full pelt it is a non issue for me.

Will let you know what I find....or not.

Back
Top Bottom