One soap to rule them all?

Looking at a true soap not a cream, the best all rounder taking into account, price, how many shaves per item, performance, ease of use, availability & scent.

Arko stick.

Six months ago I would probably have argued over proraso Green or Cella. Loved them both and are the only 2 tubs of soap I've finished since I started DE shaving which shows how often I used them.

However, in going out and buying other soaps since I've tried several which I feel are better, Tcheon Fung Sing (in their various guises such as barbiere di figaro), Le Pere Lucien, Fitjar Folgefonn, Stirling, Haslinger - all of which are excellent soaps.

However, for me, I Coloniali wins just about. Wonderful, complex scent, great slick lather and, for me, the skin care is amazing. I also like the very subtle cooling menthol that comes through, not a big frozen smash in the face like some, which I am quite partial to mind, but a perfectly placed, subtle effect which feels great.

If I look at this logically, then the soap that I have used up the most must be my favourite. If that is the case, then Mitchells Wool Fat wins by some margin, followed by Cella.

However, on Friday I received a Faena (unscented) shaving soap, and having used it for the past 2 days, I have to say that it could end up being a firm favourite.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom