My first DE shave....

@Bogeyman Laffin!:D You post mad me chuckle and cheers for the 'kind' words.:)

Whatever new venture or hobby I get into I've always been the same. Research, research, research.
I take my time and read up, watch videos (what did we do before YouTube?) and try and get as much advice from people who have been there before me.
We all make mistakes but if you do your research you should be able to minimize them by learning from those who have gone before you.

I must confess that I do like a hobby. As hobbies go this is a relatively inexpensive one. One of my main hobbies is Hi-Fi, now that's an expensive hobby.
Don't get me wrong. I know this hobby can get expensive but the most you are going to spend is around £150-200 on a nice razor.
As for buy soaps and aftershave, none are expensive, well nothing I've seen so far.

I've been going through this forum most of last night and this morning...between watching videos on YouTube.
I've already got a long list of blades, soaps and aftershaves added to my want list. Oh and I'm already looking at those nice expensive razors from Above The Tie and Wolfman.
I'm trying (I did say trying) to restrain myself and stick with what I've already bought.
I need to get my technique down first......but where's the fun in that!:cool:

Whatever new venture or hobby I get into I've always been the same. Research, research, research.
I take my time and read up, watch videos (what did we do before YouTube?) and try and get as much advice from people who have been there before me.
We all make mistakes but if you do your research you should be able to minimize them by learning from those who have gone before you.

I must confess that I do like a hobby. As hobbies go this is a relatively inexpensive one. One of my main hobbies is Hi-Fi, now that's an expensive hobby.
Don't get me wrong. I know this hobby can get expensive but the most you are going to spend is around £150-200 on a nice razor.
As for buy soaps and aftershave, none are expensive, well nothing I've seen so far.

I've been going through this forum most of last night and this morning...between watching videos on YouTube.
I've already got a long list of blades, soaps and aftershaves added to my want list. Oh and I'm already looking at those nice expensive razors from Above The Tie and Wolfman.
I'm trying (I did say trying) to restrain myself and stick with what I've already bought.

You seem like you have your head screwed on, there is a time for buying all of those expensive top end razors.....the time is NOW.....fill you boots, ATT, Wolfman, Timeless, vintage Gelletts, the list goes on.....brushes, more brushes, blades, soaps, after shaves, shaving bowls, the list is never ending........or you could hang on for a while,
The choice is yours!

You seem like you have your head screwed on, there is a time for buying all of those expensive top end razors.....the time is NOW.....fill you boots, ATT, Wolfman, Timeless, vintage Gelletts, the list goes on.....brushes, more brushes, blades, soaps, after shaves, shaving bowls, the list is never ending........or you could hang on for a while,
The choice is yours!

That's the wonderful thing about forums. However niche or obscure your hobby, you can find a place where people share your passion. On a forum you are always preaching to the converted.
In my day to day life I don't know anyone who I can talk and get excited about soaps and razors. More fool them.

I've curbed my spending on the razors just now. Got 5. 3 vintage gillettes and my 34c and 37c. Don't actually use the vintages tho. My new obsession is soaps and brushes. My bank balance hates me. Lol.

That's the wonderful thing about forums. However niche or obscure your hobby, you can find a place where people share your passion. On a forum you are always preaching to the converted.
In my day to day life I don't know anyone who I can talk and get excited about soaps and razors. More fool them.

I think that's the same for all of us.....that's why we need these forums as much as we need those razors soaps ect so we can reach out to like minded people. Happy shaving.

I will only offer my 2 cents on your choice of brush. I use the same brush as you just did and that's after several years of fiddling around with boar, badger & having finally settled on synthetics. I won't try to talk you out of trying other brushes as you are your own man, but know that you may come full circle on this one if you do. ;)

The only advice I would offer you now is to try a blade sampler and as Astra SP is made by Gillette you already know how good that Gillette can be. This would be your best bet IMO:

http://gemstonetrading.co.uk/50-dou...llette-polsilver-sputnik-the-sharp-selection/

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/standard.html

I will only offer my 2 cents on your choice of brush. I use the same brush as you just did and that's after several years of fiddling around with boar, badger & having finally settled on synthetics. I won't try to talk you out of trying other brushes as you are your own man, but know that you may come full circle on this one if you do. ;)

The only advice I would offer you now is to try a blade sampler and as Astra SP is made by Gillette you already know how good that Gillette can be. This would be your best bet IMO:

http://gemstonetrading.co.uk/50-dou...llette-polsilver-sputnik-the-sharp-selection/

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/standard.html
Agree on the blade sample pack from gemstone trading. Mine arrived today and great value for quality Russian blades.

Not sure if I would like witch hazel
The unscented variety has a scent similar to charred newsprint, though it completely dissipates within half a minute, and you likely won't notice it after a week of use.

The beneficial skin properties outweigh any negatives from the scent. It painlessly closes small weepers and nicks, disinfects your skin, and has a tightening effect on the skin as well. While it's no fountain of youth, it will keep your skin looking younger and healthier.

While guys use it as a splash, women apply it to cotton balls and use it to reduce bags under the eyes.

You should be able to pick up a generic brand of witch hazel from Boot's for cheap.

@Bogeyman Thank you for you sage advice, much appreciated.
My choice of brush was more of a happy coincidence of a number of factors. The main one being no animals had to die, just so I could have a shave. I'm not a vegetarian but it was a big plus point for me. The others were cost and performance.
I didn't know if I'd take to DE shaving, so not spending a fortune on my gear starting out seemed to make sense.
As for performance. A lot if people, such as yourself said the same thing. They had been using badger and boa brushes for years and prefer the new Pilssoft type ones.

As for blades. I bought a sample pack and a couple of extra packs from the shave lounge, where I bought all my gear from.
But I will be buying the sample pack you linked from gemstone trading as it has a number of blades I want to try, thank you.

I'll be having my third shave tomorrow. Watch this space.

Agree on the blade sample pack from gemstone trading. Mine arrived today and great value for quality Russian blades.

The Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus is currently IMO the best modern blade extant, but their Nacet Stainless, Russian Platinum & Super Stainless are so close as to make it purely subjective as to which is best. Note however that here on the forum's "Shaving Blind" test that the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless won. I have never had a bad shave with any Gillette Made in Russia blade. Never.

Many old duffers lament the passing of the "Golden Age" of DE blades from approx. 1963 to the late 70's, but today we have blades just as good, if not better, for far less money. A pack of 5 to 10 Gillette blades that sold for $1.00 (2.60 GBP) in 1969 would sell for a tad over $6.50 (5 GBP) today according to inflation, whereas today you can buy 100 of the best for anywhere between $10.00 (11.33 GBP) & $20.00 (15.12 GBP). That's a Helluva deal. ;)

Had my third DE shave this morning and as promised here's a run down of what I used and my thoughts....

Merkur 34c
Astra SP (3)
Myrsol Antesol
Razorock Plissoft 24mm
Nanny's Silly Soap 'Arabian Nights' sample
Thayers Witch Hazel unscented
Fine Platinum aftershave

First off I really should have had a shave a couple of days ago. This did give me a good chance to start properly mapping out my beard growth. Something I really should have got nailed down before I started shaving in the first place.

Had a warm shower and used a Nivea face wash. Unfortunately I'd used most of the hot water on washing the car, washing clothes and the dishes. The cooling water did have an effect on the shave. I will make sure there's enough hot water in the future.
Applied the Myrsol and started to create the lather.
Even though I really should have stuck with the TOBS sandalwood. I really fancied trying something different. I decided to go with a Nanny's silly soap sample, Arabian Nights. I really liked the smell and wanted to see how it lathered up compared to the TOBS.
This time I put a piece into the bowl instead of the brush. It lathered up quickly with nice peaks.
Going through the shave I needed to add more water as it seemed to thicken up quite quickly.

As for its performance. It gave me lot of protection. When I rinsed my face between passes it felt very slick. Infact on my numerous 'finishing' passes I only used water, such was the layer of slickness left by the soap.
The water was virtually cold by this point. I rinsed off with cold and really cold water.
I finished with Thayers witch hazel and a few minutes later with Fine's Platinum aftershave.

Another good shave and learnt a lot in the process. It's all well and good reading and watching videos but it's only when you get down to the shave it's self you really start to learn.
Anyone reading this and contemplating on whether or not to give it a go. I say go for it! You'll love it.
The journey continues....

Last edited:
Had my third DE shave this morning and as promised here's a run down of what I used and my thoughts....

Merkur 34c
Astra SP (3)
Myrsol Antesol
Razorock Plissoft 24mm
Nanny's Silly Soap 'Arabian Nights' sample
Thayers Witch Hazel unscented
Fine Platinum aftershave

First off I really should have had a shave a couple of days ago. This did give me a good chance to start properly mapping out my beard growth. Something I really should have got nailed down before I started shaving in the first place.

Had a warm shower and used a Nivea face wash. Unfortunately I'd used most of the hot water on washing the car, washing clothes and the dishes. The cooling water did have an effect on the shave. I will make sure there's enough hot water in the future.
Applied the Myrsol and started to create the lather.
Even though I really should have stuck with the TOBS sandalwood. I really fancied trying something different. I decided to go with a Nanny's silly soap sample, Arabian Nights. I really liked the smell and wanted to see how it lathered up compared to the TOBS.
This time I put a piece into the bowl instead of the brush. It lathered up quickly with nice peaks.
Going through the shave I needed to add more water as it seemed to thicken up quite quickly.
As for its performance. It gave me lot of protection. When I rinsed my face between passes it felt very slick. Infact on my numerous 'finishing' passes I only used water, such was the layer of slickness left by the soap.
The water was virtually cold by this point. I rinsed off with cold and really cold water.
I finished with Thayers witch hazel and a few minutes later with Fine's Platinum aftershave.
Another good shave and learnt a lot in the process. It's all well and good reading and watching videos but it's only when you get down to the shave it's self you really start to learn.
Anyone reading this and contemplating on whether or not to give it a go. I say go for it! You'll love it.
The journey continues....

It's nice to read your story/journey Blackmass. NSS is indeed good soap. One of my favourite scent is Moroccan Sands. You should try that one. And congrats on the picture. It improved 100%.

Nice.. I love the sandlewood cream, lathers nicely smells great.

What is the benefit of witch hazel over say an alum block which is what I'm using at the moment.
May have to try some.

God I'm soooo skint with this de stuff and my little bathroom cabinet is getting filled quickly !

Back
Top Bottom