My first DE shave....

After weeks of watching YouTube videos and reading this forum I had my first DE shave this morning.

Had a shower and used a Nivea face scrub for my prep. Applied some King of Shaves pre shave oil before I started making my lather. I had a number of samples to chose from but I decided to use the TOBS sandalwood I bought before I went a bit mad buying loads of samples.

I put some cream into the Razorock Pilssoft brush (the brush had been left in the sink with warm water for a few minutes) and started lathering in the bowl. It lathered up pretty quickly but I wasn't sure if I need more soap or water. I put a little more soap in the brush and started to lather up on my face. The lather was OK but I wasn't 100% happy with the consistency. I guess this is one of the many things that will come with practice.

Now onto the big moment of truth, actually shaving.
I used the Merkur 34c with an Astra blade. I'd put the blade in before I had a shower and checked the alignment of the blade (Thank you 'Nick shaves').
I took a deep breath and went for it. My first reaction was, "Is that it?".
I did a three pass shave (swilling my face off between each pass) and took my time. I only caught myself once on my bottom lip, right in the centre. It was very small and stopped after apply some cold water and pressure.
I finished with Nivea aftershave balm and some Fine Platinum aftershave.
The shave took 20 minutes and another 5 minutes to clean everything up.

So what I my first impressions I hear you ask.
Although it was time consuming and you have to be more careful than a cartridge razor the end results were stunning. I've never had a better shave. My face is super smooth and I've been cool all day. I'm not great in the heat and this shave has really cooled me down.
Seen as this was my first time I'll really excited to see the improvements in the future.
Apologies for the poor quality photo. Having seen the staggering photography on show here I really need to step me game up.

Last edited:
Great to see you took to it so well, I too was totally shocked when I first switched from cartridges to a DE razor.

Prepare for this to become a hobby and accept that obscure purchases and needless spending in the eyes of your friends and loved ones will become part and parcel of every day life lol

Glad to hear of your success, @Blackmass ! Keep at it!

Give it a few weeks. You'll be able to cut your time down to about five minutes, once you have it all down pat.

Are you saying you are done with loading, building lather, and x passes in five minutes, Ryan? And still find it as enjoyable? I have been doing this for a while now, but down to five mins, no. It's a mindfulness/meditative thing too, though. I spend fifteen extra in the bathroom each morning. Much needed me-time.

Glad to hear of your success, @Blackmass ! Keep at it!

Are you saying you are done with loading, building lather, and x passes in five minutes, Ryan? And still find it as enjoyable? I have been doing this for a while now, but down to five mins, no. It's a mindfulness/meditative thing too, though. I spend fifteen extra in the bathroom each morning. Much needed me-time.
No, I'm saying I can shave in under five minutes (2 passes) when I need to. I usually spend about 10-15 minutes on my shave.

A few weeks later...

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom