Motorbikes anyone?

How old are you, Scratch? .......... I mean ..... I'm a mere whippersnapper at 44 ...... But I'm still loving my old SRAD.

I'm a year younger than you, Wishbone. It's not so much a physical thing and don't get me wrong, I'd really enjoy thrashing around a track on a proper track weapon but as far as road-riding goes, give me something big, comfy and slow any day. And if it sounds like a Merlin at tick-over then all the better. :)

Simon .......... That's a bit of a bastard ...... Especially the plastics; pain getting them repaired if you haven't got the kit. One of the lads had a Mille ........ lovely bit of kit it was.

Yeah........ Once I get fed up of head down, arse up on the road, I'll be thinking of sitting upright a little more.

And I do have a dream ........ It looks something like this:

Honda-CB750.jpg

Not my bike ....... and I nicked the image from Google images ......... but when I dream of a sit up and beg bike ..... It's this one that has me drooling :D

hey wishbone that takes me back to when i was a kid someone i knew had 750 4 with ace bars race seat and dunstall 4into 1
use to take me up to boxhill on it with mates at night mind you you better start saving if you want one like that
all the best
simon

Not kidding, mate .......... I saw a restored, later '78 go a while back for just shy of 6K :eek: ......... Was a bloody showpiece, mind. God forbid what a ride out in North Wales on a wet Sunday on March would leave it looking like ...... That's what they're for though, isn't it? ..... If the time ever comes that I spend more time cleaning them than riding them, someone put me out of my misery :D

DSC_0232_zps2chycdzw.jpg

Out the Way the Jap Crap..:eek:

Billy

DSC_0230_zpsbj40qpnh.jpg

I also owned this Triumph T160 Electric Start for some 14 Yrs..I rebuilt it Totally it had every Mod Con this side of the Clyde Including Double Discs, Italian Racing Callipers, Rear Sets, Electronic Ignition, Ported & Flowed Heads, Bigger Stainless Race Valves & Springs, Balanced Crank, Racing Oil Pump, Lightened & Balanced Clutch, High Out Put Alternator, Twin Heat Sunk Air Cooled Zenor Diodes, Rectifier, Oil Cooler, Skimmed Head, Racing carb Slides and Up Jetted..o_O

I built this somewhat complex engine inside a Plastic tent inside my Hut to keep it surgically clean..I blew off a Z 1000 with this thing quite easily..It would cruise at 110 all day long and Hit around 135 MPH..I have never met a person that was a Japanese Apprentice Bike Mechanic that had the Skill to work on these..Some one said to me recently that..You have Only worked on British Bikes..;)

Meaning they are less Complex than Japanese Bikes..I have to laugh at that One..There were very few folks that ever had the Skills to work on these never mind tune one & to be as reliable as any Bike on the Road..This blew away just about every Jap bike of its day on the road & track..:D

Billy

Last edited:
They should never have stopped building them like that, Billy ....... Got a local bike shop here called Mersey Motorcycles; they're a family business that's been going since forever. They have a shedload of old British and US military bikes, tracked and half tracked vehicles ..... they take them out to shows all over the place.

Peter ...... The son that runs most of the business these days ...... He'll tell you the same thing about British bikes: All their quirks were particular. You can say "Oh yeah ....... Hondas do this thing" ....... But "Only this BSA model from that year will do that thing".....

Peter is an absolute gold mine of cool info and he likes to talk as he works, so MOT time is an education ......... And his Dad has forgotten more than anyone I know knows :D

They should never have stopped building them like that, Billy ....... Got a local bike shop here called Mersey Motorcycles; they're a family business that's been going since forever. They have a shedload of old British and US military bikes, tracked and half tracked vehicles ..... they take them out to shows all over the place.

Peter ...... The son that runs most of the business these days ...... He'll tell you the same thing about British bikes: All their quirks were particular. You can say "Oh yeah ....... Hondas do this thing" ....... But "Only this BSA model from that year will do that thing".....

Peter is an absolute gold mine of cool info and he likes to talk as he works, so MOT time is an education ......... And his Dad has forgotten more than anyone I know knows :D
Aye..I remember getting on a Honda 750 Four & getting the shock at how under powered they were compared to the T 160..The Honda 750 Four quite rightly was the final blow to Triumph & Norton though as the first T 150 Tridents were still using Drum Brakes & were Very Complex to work on compared to a Simple Overhead Cam & Wet sump & Wet Clutch Design..The Electric's were far simpler on the Japanese bikes as well at that time.. ;)

The Trident was a very Complex Design with Wet Primary Chain side & a Dry Clutch in the Middle between the Crankcase..A molecule of dirt in a Gasket,Oils Seal & or a bolt over tightened by 1 Pound would let the oils into the dry clutch that was almost Identical to a Mini Car One..The only other engine that equalled it in complexity to work on was the Ducati SS..Mine never leaked Oil or gave me any problems I must say but when you worked on it everything had to be surgically clean & to perfection..Very Rewarding though for the few that Acquired the Magic Fingers & had the patience..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Complexity ? That must be rebuilding a Velocette Viper clutch in a rickety garden shed in twilight by the illumination of a wander lead extension plugged in through the kitchen window. Ah yes, those halycon days in the early 1960s when Triumphs could be tracked by the marks of what was, in some cases, an almost total loss oil system. And as for the Saint, marketed to Police Services as ' Stop Anything in No Time ', well, with so much of its time in the motorcycle workshops waiting for never appearing spares and replacement parts it wasn't the best advert going for British bikes.

JohnnyO. o/

Johnny ......... It wasn't for a giggle that Triumphs were known on the basis of their oil consumption as well as their fuel economy ......

They wouldn't be British, otherwise :D

We often felt that the fine oil spray which coated the inside of our Aviakit boots had been specifically designed as a Speed Twin extra, designed to assist the water resistance of the leather in inclement weather.

JohnnyO. o/

I can just imagine the m/cycle workshops comments on finding a bike up against the wall with a neatly printed Fault Sheet requesting that this machine be blueprinted ... the air would have been blue at least. Our mechs, along with the staff of the ' workless wireshops ', or, as we knew it, " Grumpy Corner ", really did demonstrate the ethos of ' Rough Engineering Made Easy '.

JohnnyO. o/

Nice, mate ........ Maybe these dealerships are all starting to look the same to me ....... but is that Chester Harley Davidson?...

The scran van looks familiar, but I remember there being benches & tables along the front of those windows, if it's the same gaff .....

Lakeside, Thurrock, Essex..

Back
Top Bottom