Motorbikes anyone?

My current project is rebuilding a Honda 400F, I have had the engine completely apart to fit a new Hi vo chain, replaced all seals, and the cam chain and tensioner mechanism, I now need to get around to pressing out one of the damaged cylinder liners and pressing in a used undamaged one, I have been putting that job off for a few weeks now.

That was Quite a Fast Bonnie that One..It was Good for Over 125 & Would Sit at 90/100 All Day Long & as was Reliable as Hell..The Mark 11 Amal Carbs are Great..I Built that Many Years ago & Owned it for Some 14 Years..Its Still on the Go & the Guy that has it Put a Fancy Paint Job on it & it Wins Many Shows to this Day..:D

Billy
Great story Billy, the best Bonnie.

After I Came Out the Marines I was Unsettled to Say the Least & I Ran with the Glasgow Boys for Some Years..They were a Wild Bunch & I Still have My Colours to this Day..:D

Billy

Still remember seeing Dougie Moir's latest creation padlocked with what seemed like anchor chains to a no waiting pole on Maryhill Rd regularly when he had the flat in Kelvinside Avenue. That was before he opened DM M/cycles down at the Gallowgate.

JohnnyO. o/

That sounds amazing johnnyO, such a shame I missed that era and all those great British bikes the first time around.

They were wild times a lot of the time Oomer, especially races from Anniesland down to the old Loch Lomondside in the wee small hours. Clip ons, rear sets and no screens or fairings weren't so much fun in the Scottish winters though. You've got a great cafe racer/ Degens style look going on there though. Take it from an old guy who was there.

JohnnyO. o/

They were wild times a lot of the time Oomer, especially races from Anniesland down to the old Loch Lomondside in the wee small hours. Clip ons, rear sets and no screens or fairings weren't so much fun in the Scottish winters though. You've got a great cafe racer/ Degens style look going on there though. Take it from an old guy who was there.

JohnnyO. o/
Wow you've lived all those YouTube videos I've been watching and all those old photo's I've been looking at that's so cool. Plus you know your stuff too, rear sets and clip ons. Thanks JohnnyO for your kind words too about my bike makes me feel like I've really achieved something when people give me comments like you and all the others on here. P.s. forgot to mention I built that in my garden shed 10x8 lol.

Last edited:
Just the wireing and she's done.My custom build from the frame up, just over 12 month's View attachment 21207 View attachment 21208

That's a lovely job, is that an XS400 in there? Mine's been away at the garage for so long I've forgotten what it looks like. 18 months with no end in site. Wish I had the time to sort it but been too busy with the BSA. I've got to the point where I'm going to have to buy something else as my winter bike. The XS is too nice for that job anyway.

That's a lovely job, is that an XS400 in there? Mine's been away at the garage for so long I've forgotten what it looks like. 18 months with no end in site. Wish I had the time to sort it but been too busy with the BSA. I've got to the point where I'm going to have to buy something else as my winter bike. The XS is too nice for that job anyway.
XS400 1980 well spotted. Sounds great with the universal exhausts at this angle. What is the problem with yours?

Last edited:
Ah, now you've blown your cover and let your secret out Oomer. As I suspect F/Billy knows, a garden shed with a wander lead and an extension cord out the kitchen window really is the way to put a cafe racer together ! And 10 x 8 sounds about correct for size ! I'm really liking the detail touches, like the handlebar end mirror. I saved up for months to get ball end brake and clutch levers. Now get that beauty finished and out on the road some clear moonlight night and make (or continue) your own history mate. You've earned the right !

JohnnyO. \o/

Last edited:
XS400 1980 well spotted. Sounds great with the universal exhausts at this angle. What is the problem with yours?

Now there's a story! I bought it running but had been off the road for around 4 years. It sat over the winter without me getting round to it, so I put it into the local garage in the spring. Obvious issue was that it ran OK until warm, then you'd stop at lights & it'd rev at around 4K for up to a minute.

First thing they found was a cracked inlet, so it looked like it opened up when warm, air into mixture, over-revs. Since then, it's had new pistons, rings, battery, condensor, timing re-done, carbs cleaned, & lots of other bits. Current situation is that it runs for a few minutes then starts spitting & popping.

On the plus side, I'm not being charged for labour. I'm getting the garage extended next year, so that'll be a good time to bring it home & make the time to sort it. BSA should be finished by then, just needs re-cabling to fit lower bars, I wasn't keen on the Easy Rider ones. I should pick them up at the Stafford show this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom