Is there a better soap than Mitchell’s Wool Fat Shaving Soap?

Were you watching me? MATRON! They’ve been watching me wax the lady tickler again. Picking crumbs indeed! They’re titbits for later, old bean. A bit sultana cookie here, ginger snap there and wait, what’s this? An entire lost episode of Dads’ Army? How did that get there? MATRON! The yellow ones if you please. I’m off to buy the Fat haha, I’m off to buy the FAT. Stop that, I was bled earlier and you’re not getting anymore. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…
GIF by Got Talent Global
Scared Mental Health GIF by Abitan

One crucial factor for me with MWF was advice Bruce Everiss gave a dozen years ago. He said MWF likes its own microclimate and suggested storing it in an airtight container, he also suggested milling the soap which I don't do. For me that changed the game with MWF. Now when I open the old shaving cream container its in, its soft, moist and easy to lather. Also, that's when you really notice the scent of MWF, a nice, muted floral.

I don't know if it's the best, but it is an enduring wet shaving classic because it's a good soap that was around before the artisan soap revolution. With that kind of widely available relatively inexpensive good quality product I don't wonder why its appreciated and why people don't get tired of singing its praises. It is one of those taken for granted products that has always had a place in wet shaving and that people already know they'll miss mightily when its gone.

Were you watching me? MATRON! They’ve been watching me wax the lady tickler again. Picking crumbs indeed! They’re titbits for later, old bean. A bit sultana cookie here, ginger snap there and wait, what’s this? An entire lost episode of Dads’ Army? How did that get there? MATRON! The yellow ones if you please. I’m off to buy the Fat haha, I’m off to buy the FAT. Stop that, I was bled earlier and you’re not getting anymore. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…

Apologies, autocorrect seems to favour yea over yes. Much to my annoyance.

Welsh Folk soap
HWF

For me at least. Are better performers.

I also rate the PAA soaps very highly as well.

I will caveat the above with my experience of The Fat (as it seems to be referred to on here). That I had a sample included with a purchase for a razor and it may not have been in optimum condition. But the smell and performance was a little off.

Apologies, autocorrect seems to favour yea over yes. Much to my annoyance.

Welsh Folk soap
HWF

For me at least. Are better performers.

I also rate the PAA soaps very highly as well.

I will caveat the above with my experience of The Fat (as it seems to be referred to on here). That I had a sample included with a purchase for a razor and it may not have been in optimum condition. But the smell and performance was a little off.
Welsh Tallow Folk or WTF for short.

Someone needs to do a SxS "duel to death" between MWF and Cyril R. Salter hard tallow soap.

CRS makes my face swell up like a baboon's arse.

Ok, that's not true, I get some slight irritation from CRS but if I have the chance to write the words 'baboons arse' I will take it.

What was I writing about? Oh yeah, CRS or MWF. For obvious reasons it's the latter. If bought on sale it is around the £5 mark for a 120g bar, which is excellent value. The downside is one needs to sacrifice an animal and chant under a moonless sky to get it lather but the tallow and lanolin goodness for one's delightfully soft chubby face makes the effort worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom