Is there a better soap than Mitchell’s Wool Fat Shaving Soap?

... I guess the last one that went to umpteen pages and explored it down to the quark level wasn't good enough...
We may have gone down to the quark level but I have yet to see any satisfactory explanation regarding the fundamental framework of such point like particles in the product.
e.g. a string theory of MWF.
The discussion should continue.
Science demands it.

I'm sure there will be posts regarding MWF long after I have had my last breath!

Paul.

If MWF is ever reformulated to a vegan formula, I think it will make the shaving forums explode with rage!

tenor.gif

Not sure they even need to reformulate as the soap is made using the natural lanolin content of wool fat and is also not tested on animals.
I don't eat meat but I would have no problems using MWF as no animal is harmed if the wool used is from the yearly shearing?

MWF's main ingredient is tallow, which I think are the excess fats from a cow carcass that are not eaten (other fats are, like suet and so on). I myself do not eat meat, but I have no problem using shaving soaps with tallow.

The Arko puck is different from the stick, but it may have similar ingredients.

iu

AFAIK, they both have the same ingredients but in a different order. It's been a while since I used both, but I found the Arko Stick to be a lot less slick than the Arko Puck, but I think I might have got one that was either old or had a minor QC issue. The stick is supposed to be a lot softer than the puck, but my stick was rock rock.

The Derby soap is very good as well, it seems to go under the radar a little.
I think any reformulation would be a crime against shaving, if it ain't broke then leave well alone!

Paul.

I'm going to start hoarding MWF just incase it is reformalated! Quite a few tallow based shaving soaps gone the way of the dodo in the last few years, the German ones (Palmolive, Speick, Tabac, Wilkinson, Fine), Valobra, Lea, Haslinger, Williams.

Even bath soaps that are being reformulated into Palm Oil from tallow. I think it's only a matter of time until others, maybe even Arko shift to Palm Oil, but I can speculate like the paranoid lunatic I may possibly be.

Last edited:
I often wonder why this is. Is tallow more expensive? As an otherwise waste byproduct of the meat industry it seems hard to imagine. Could it be all this "Veganuary" hype and they're worried about losing sales due to 'everyone' (on Twitter) going vegan? Let's face it, palm oil is a hot topic too... unless the indigenous tribes of the rainforest are less important than cows?

I am guessing that either way, the reformulations are about profit rather than performance, on the basis that although there is no problem with the majority of veg based soaps, people do lament the reformulation of respected tallow based soap.

I often wonder why this is. Is tallow more expensive? As an otherwise waste byproduct of the meat industry it seems hard to imagine. Could it be all this "Veganuary" hype and they're worried about losing sales due to 'everyone' (on Twitter) going vegan? Let's face it, palm oil is a hot topic too... unless the indigenous tribes of the rainforest are less important than cows?

I am guessing that either way, the reformulations are about profit rather than performance, on the basis that although there is no problem with the majority of veg based soaps, people do lament the reformulation of respected tallow based soap.
Woke soap, refuse to buy it, let them know that they can't save money if they don't make any in the first place.

I think it's largely down to cost, I imagine palm oil is cheaper to buy and to process than tallow.

I would like to join the paranoid lunatic club, please. Have I got what it takes? MATRON! They won’t let me in…

First rule of paranoid lunatic club is not to talk about paranoid lunatic club... Oh wait, that's another club.

If you are hiding underneath your table, picking out crumbs from your moustache whilst muttering a few words about Lidl or Aldi, then you are in to the paranoid lunatic club.

If you are hiding underneath your table, picking out crumbs from your moustache whilst muttering a few words about Lidl or Aldi, then you are in to the paranoid lunatic club.
Were you watching me? MATRON! They’ve been watching me wax the lady tickler again. Picking crumbs indeed! They’re titbits for later, old bean. A bit sultana cookie here, ginger snap there and wait, what’s this? An entire lost episode of Dads’ Army? How did that get there? MATRON! The yellow ones if you please. I’m off to buy the Fat haha, I’m off to buy the FAT. Stop that, I was bled earlier and you’re not getting anymore. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom