I going to try giving up smoking...Again

I agree, it was arsing hard. You need to be set to do it.
I did cold turkey myself. Remember walking around the flat at the time thinking ' need a fag need a fag need a fag need a fag etc etc'
(And by fag, I mean cigarette. The term sucking on a fag might mean different things to different folks. I am aware)
I was disappointed with myself finding it so tough.
It didn't last.
But I learnt from that and went again. Realising that it didn't matter how I stopped. As long as I stopped.
The next time I went for patches. With an extra patch. Then when I really craved, had a nico mint as well.
Also, what really really helped. Put the money on the side every day that I would have spent on cigarettes.
Deliberately went and got cash out to do it.
I allowed myself to spend that on whatever I wanted.
(Also saved a few quid by not going down the pub as I found that the hardest place for temptation)
Good luck to you sir which ever way you choose. Look at all the suggestions and go with what is right for you.
It is very worth it.

Im a failed quitter. But i did quit dor a year and the best advice i can give is displacement. Find a positive action you can put in place instead of smoking. A good example is drink some water everytime you want a fag, after a couple weeks you will eventually have moved your addiction on to a positive path and because its a positive "addiction" it is relatively harmless.

For me, the problem is in the title of the post. "I (am) going to TRY giving up smoking... Again".
The key word here is TRY. If you're only TRYING to give up you've already given yourself a reason, or justification, to not quit.
Does the following conversation sound familiar...?
"I see you're smoking again. I thought you were giving up."
"Yeah. Well, I'm trying." #takes another puff#
By only TRYING you've already failed.

For me, the problem is in the title of the post. "I (am) going to TRY giving up smoking... Again".
The key word here is TRY. If you're only TRYING to give up you've already given yourself a reason, or justification, to not quit.
Does the following conversation sound familiar...?
"I see you're smoking again. I thought you were giving up."
"Yeah. Well, I'm trying." #takes another puff#
By only TRYING you've already failed.
Yer logic is skewed. If you do not TRY then you CANNOT succeed. No effort equals no positive result.

Well,after 30 years of smoking,I have decided to try and give up (failed very miserably in the past).
I finally bit the bullet,and spent £35 or so on an 'E ciggy' dongle,and some Golden Virginia taste alike stuff for it...
This should hopefully arrive next week...

http://www.jacvapour.com/basic-e-cigarette-starter-kit-for-beginners

All in stainless steel too.

Anyone else used one of these 'E ciggy' dongles?,did it help?,or failing that,how did you give up?.

Wish me luck...I certainly need it!.

I used to smoke 9 light tobacco cigarettes a day (don't forget to calculate the right amount of nicotine you need for your e-liquid). I bought in August a mod (I believed it's called like that), consisting in a tank and a battery, for around £35 from HK (£50 in brick & mortar stores in London) and some oil/e-liquid from France for 25 € (30ml).

http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_142298.html
http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_104356.html
http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes/pp_167868.html

So since August, I haven't smoked any cigarette, and at the moment I only vape every 2 days or so (1 to 4 times a day), the 30ml bottle is half empty. I definitely don't feel anymore the urge to light a cigarette (the smell disgusts me a bit now), so these devices are pretty efficient to me. The only downside is that I've put up some weight, about 3kg and I eat more, not necessarily between meals... And the taste of food has changed too.

I forgot to add that I've saved a lot of money (like £15 a week), it's been profitable after 3-4 weeks.

img_2010.jpg

tumblr_nklf0o61t31tulax2o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
theymademedoit said:
My point is; tell yourself you ARE going to quit.

Oh do not mistake me sir, I understand that logic. It has been preached to me by dozens of middle and lower level management bankers. Certain minds however fail to respond to this and mine, alas, is one. It's called setting the bar too high or more accurately, setting yourself up to fail. Pushing oneself towards a difficult goal is a challenge that some thrive on and setting an impossibly high bar can help those types of people reach higher than they ever imagined in their wildest dreams. For others, it simply crushes them and they perform much less well than without the pressure or so called challenge. For some, the more pressure the higher they fly when the valve is released, for others, broken pieces of imploded wreckage are all that is left. I would love to be the former but I'm not.

Lessen a challenge to make it achievable with a bit of work but still well within reach and the reward of satisfaction yields a small, perhaps even tiny step forward. But it is a start. That first hour or that first break in routine may lead to making it to lunchtime. More routines broken or other habits changed and all of a sudden you may find you have your first day smoke free under your belt. Worry not about the day to come but focus on the day your are in. Sometimes the belief just isn't there but strength of will can be forged along the way when a decision has been made and you surprise yourself with early successes. That first day you never thought you'd manage becomes a second day and then you've 48 hrs behind you that probably felt like 168. On day three, you may just be telling yourself, "Shit, I just might be able to do this."

Don't get ahead of yourself and don't set yourself up to fail by heaping pressure on yourself or being unrealistic. I admitted I had a problem with alcohol at 23 and told myself I would quit and nothing under the sun would make me start again and I laughed up my sleeve at all those falling off the wagon after a few days or weeks or months of sobriety at AA meetings whilst I stayed dry. Little did I know that they were learning by their mistakes whereas my pride and self-imposed pressure was setting me up for a fall. A year and half later, one particular day, wallop! Fuckin' blootered with subsequent three day, near-hospitilsation hangover. The pressure told and I caved. Took me six years of this sort of shite before the penny dropped and I stopped telling myself that from now on I would stay sober definitely forever but that I would try, each day, one day at a time to stay sober for that day and that day only. So far so good - s'been a wee while since the wee small hours of the 23rd August 2003.....

Your way will work for some but it ain't gospel. Just sayin'....;):)

Oh do not mistake me sir, I understand that logic. It has been preached to me by dozens of middle and lower level management bankers. Certain minds however fail to respond to this and mine, alas, is one. It's called setting the bar too high or more accurately, setting yourself up to fail. Pushing oneself towards a difficult goal is a challenge that some thrive on and setting an impossibly high bar can help those types of people reach higher than they ever imagined in their wildest dreams. For others, it simply crushes them and they perform much less well than without the pressure or so called challenge. For some, the more pressure the higher they fly when the valve is released, for others, broken pieces of imploded wreckage are all that is left. I would love to be the former but I'm not.

Lessen a challenge to make it achievable with a bit of work but still well within reach and the reward of satisfaction yields a small, perhaps even tiny step forward. But it is a start. That first hour or that first break in routine may lead to making it to lunchtime. More routines broken or other habits changed and all of a sudden you may find you have your first day smoke free under your belt. Worry not about the day to come but focus on the day your are in. Sometimes the belief just isn't there but strength of will can be forged along the way when a decision has been made and you surprise yourself with early successes. That first day you never thought you'd manage becomes a second day and then you've 48 hrs behind you that probably felt like 168. On day three, you may just be telling yourself, "Shit, I just might be able to do this."

Don't get ahead of yourself and don't set yourself up to fail by heaping pressure on yourself or being unrealistic. I admitted I had a problem with alcohol at 23 and told myself I would quit and nothing under the sun would make me start again and I laughed up my sleeve at all those falling off the wagon after a few days or weeks or months of sobriety at AA meetings whilst I stayed dry. Little did I know that they were learning by their mistakes whereas my pride and self-imposed pressure was setting me up for a fall. A year and half later, one particular day, wallop! Fuckin' blootered with subsequent three day, near-hospitilsation hangover. The pressure told and I caved. Took me six years of this sort of shite before the penny dropped and I stopped telling myself that from now on I would stay sober definitely forever but that I would try, each day, one day at a time to stay sober for that day and that day only. So far so good - s'been a wee while since the wee small hours of the 23rd August 2003.....

Your way will work for some but it ain't gospel. Just sayin'....;):)
Well that's certainly an interesting insight and congrats on the sobriety.

I was just saying what worked for me.

Horses for courses and all that!

Well....The E-Ciggy arrived!,so far I have made 4 hours without a real Rollie,which for me is a sort of a little record!,
These E-cigs,are much better than I expected,even with medium nicotine (12mg) carts,I dont feel the need to roll one up!.
Mrs DT is giving up again too,but she prefers the 'cold turkey' method,she stopped instantly when she fell pregnant with child 2,so I think she can do it again.
Now just had to get rid of the ashtrays (I only ever smoked at the kitchen door,and outhouse),the hardest part,is putting my trusty Zippo in the draw,with the last of my baccy,and Rizlas....

I started vaping in September. I went down the Blu route and they aren't bad - just stay away from the liquids that promise to taste like tobacco. They don't. I use their Vanilla liquid and it is palatable. Still smoke half a dozen fags a week - the morning fag & brew. Don't beat myself up about it - and neither should you if you slip and have one, you just remind yourself of all the ones you didn't have. Positive spin and all that. I also concur with the 'what works for you'. Anyone who pooh-poohs you for not going completely clean in a 'oner' - is an arse.

Well....The E-Ciggy arrived!,so far I have made 4 hours without a real Rollie,which for me is a sort of a little record!,
These E-cigs,are much better than I expected,even with medium nicotine (12mg) carts,I dont feel the need to roll one up!.
Mrs DT is giving up again too,but she prefers the 'cold turkey' method,she stopped instantly when she fell pregnant with child 2,so I think she can do it again.
Now just had to get rid of the ashtrays (I only ever smoked at the kitchen door,and outhouse),the hardest part,is putting my trusty Zippo in the draw,with the last of my baccy,and Rizlas....

"Give it at least 12 months to be sure that you've truly withdrawn" So have I been told... You'll certainly spend the next few days doing some fine tuning in order to get the hit throat and to find the right adjustments for your device (Voltage/Power, etc).

When you'll feel that your senses (smell, taste) are changing then the withdrawal is ongoing.

Good luck mate!

In January 2016 I'll be 2 years fag free. I bought a cheap ecig and some chocmint liquid from a local cheapie store, purely to stop smoking in company vehicles as it was getting a pain in the arse when someone got in it and went and complained. At that time I was on 60+ a day, and had been smoking for around 42 years. By the third day on this thing I'd smoked only about 10 or 12 ciggies, and I stopped on the 4th day, and havn't smoked since. Wasn't trying to stop, didn't for the life of me think I could, but I have.
Still on the ecigs, although a bit posher than the one I started with, and am just starting to make my own juice. I am on 6mg nicotine shop bought, and am making my first batch at 3mg. Never vaped anything tasting of tobacco, been on strawberry mint mixed with a drop of vanilla for about a year now. Don't think I'll ever smoke again, as I don't even appreciate the smell anymore.
Do I feel better, well I've piled on 3 stone(could be age as well), but according to her indoors I don't wheeze in my sleep anymore. Taste buds definately working again, so I suppose I must do;).

Vive la difference, whatever works for you is good!

I've just discovered cigs are £8 for twenty! I feel even better about not smoking anymore - about twenty-five years by now. Sheesh, I couldn't afford retirement at £16 - 24 a day on cigs let alone all the stuff I've done since I stopped working. Or all my shaving crap collection!

Good luck Dr T, it is a hard road and there will be some low moments but if you can keep in mind your motivation for stopping you can make it.

I have been stopped about 18 month now and initially used a e cig but weened myself off that too after a couple of months.

The money was a big motivation for me and putting aside the money I saved so I could see it was Abigail help.

Back
Top Bottom