I going to try giving up smoking...Again

Pick a date for your last cigarette and stop at midnight 00.01 - so you sleep and wake up a non-smoker. By that time you must have decided, chosen of your own free will, to be a non-smoker. Every time you want to 'sin' remind yourself of your choice. The ways you'll try to excuse sinning are ingenious and plentiful - but always go back to 'I have chosen not to smoke'.

No 'trying to stop' - just won't work.

If you are into psychobubble, see of you can't find out why you smoke - just notice every time you spark up and remember/record what has just been happening and how you feel. A pattern may well emerge, hidden in amongst all the habitual and addicted smokes.

Ignore all the ''experts'' who think they know what's best for you. They don't. They only know what's worked for them. If cold Turkey works for you that's great, or patches, gum, hypnosis, e cigs, whatever. If running around at midnight dressed as a smurf helps that's just fine as well.

For ecig info have a look in ukvapers.org. It's another rabbit hole for some folks but it doesn't have to be. It also contains a lot of information about health risks, studies, legal situation etc. There's much more peer read research been done on the subject than the press would want you to believe.

Vaping is a great safer alternative to smoking but many have also found it an effective way to quit nicotine completely. You might be one of them, maybe not. There's no one size fits all method here.

Just to be transparent I've been vaping for nearly a year after 30 years heavy smoking. My intention was and still is to be nicotine free after a year. I'm not advocating vaping here. I'm advocating finding what works for you.

Well said Dave, for me it was vaping non tobacco tasting e-liquid and hypnotherapy. I still have the odd roll-up (maybe a couple in 3 or 4 months). I don't allow smoking in my flat or car and if I have a roll-up I don't beat myself up about it. It has been like this for 4+ years now, my GP is happy I am better off a win, win situation. Do what is right for you not what you are told to do...........;)

Well....I was told last year,after a ton of blood tests,if I didn't stop smoking,drinking,and lose about 10 stone,and if I don't take the 19 pills a day I'm on now,I would be in the ground in 3 years (I will be 46 in Feb).But TBH,with all of my other health problems,including a collapsed spine,and a load of other issues (not all smoking,drinking,or weight related BTW),even giving up the ciggies would be a major step!.
Going down the 'E Cig' route,I can at least cut down my nicotine habit,by getting weaker mixtures,as time goes on...

I only got fat because of my spinal problems.I was 13 stone in 2009 (I am 6ft,and naturally broad),took 5 years to get to the stage I am at now,23 odd stone,because I was stuck on a sheet of chipboard,laid out,for 5 years,so that sort of put on the pounds....;)
My left hand is now virtually dead,I have chronic sciatica in my left leg,I have diabetes,high cholesterol,loads of other stuff,and even with the pain killers I am now on,which sort of work...A bit...I am still limited to what I can do!.
Not to mention my lack of sleep!,I am awake from 2am onwards!...All thanks to that bloody lower spinal rot!...LOL!.
And in case anyone says "don't eat so much",I eat 2 slices of toast for breakfast (I need to eat sommat to take the meds),nothing for dinner,and a small tea,usually a small bowl of Chilli,or beans on toast (so I can have more meds)...

And no,I didn't put this up for sympathy!....Just so you can get an idea of where I am coming from!.:D

I found the patches were effective and certainly helped me during the first week. I didn't follow the recommended procedure of using reduced power ones - just used them as a crutch for a week until the habit part was lessening, then stopped altogether.

You will be able to get them free I would guess.

What's up Mike,

From what I understand about the E cig thing there's good and not so good parts to it. Not offending others as much is one and not actually inhaling burning nasty tobacco smoke particles is better health wise.

The less than wonderful part is the continued addiction to what's IN the tobacco, Nicotine is not good for people.......hard to believe I know. I would be curious what the success rate for people quitting by using some sort of vaping would be. Maybe as high or low as regular smokers stopping cigarettes?

If you wanna stop ingesting the nicotine part, you gotta not put any in your body and you have to want that image in your head a lot.

Being a former smoker I can tell you I wish I had quit even 10 years ago instead of only three. Yeah, even that would have helped reduce the COPD thing going on right now. The Docs always say that quitting at any time is smart though. Still.....waiting is dumb.

So you can either quit cold turkey or after a short try with the E cig system or patches or something. Or, stay with the vaping world for whatever the reasons.

Sheesh, sorry for the bold type.......stuck somehow.

Martin

Couldn't agree more its the Nicotine that is the issue. Masking it is well simply masking it, kind of like using a derby in your favourite razor.

I wouldn't like to attribute the success rate of e-cigs, as it could be inspiration enough to quit for an individual.

Well....I was told last year,after a ton of blood tests,if I didn't stop smoking,drinking,and lose about 10 stone,and if I don't take the 19 pills a day I'm on now,I would be in the ground in 3 years (I will be 46 in Feb).But TBH,with all of my other health problems,including a collapsed spine,and a load of other issues (not all smoking,drinking,or weight related BTW),even giving up the ciggies would be a major step!.
Going down the 'E Cig' route,I can at least cut down my nicotine habit,by getting weaker mixtures,as time goes on...

I only got fat because of my spinal problems.I was 13 stone in 2009 (I am 6ft,and naturally broad),took 5 years to get to the stage I am at now,23 odd stone,because I was stuck on a sheet of chipboard,laid out,for 5 years,so that sort of put on the pounds....;)
My left hand is now virtually dead,I have chronic sciatica in my left leg,I have diabetes,high cholesterol,loads of other stuff,and even with the pain killers I am now on,which sort of work...A bit...I am still limited to what I can do!.
Not to mention my lack of sleep!,I am awake from 2am onwards!...All thanks to that bloody lower spinal rot!...LOL!.
And in case anyone says "don't eat so much",I eat 2 slices of toast for breakfast (I need to eat sommat to take the meds),nothing for dinner,and a small tea,usually a small bowl of Chilli,or beans on toast (so I can have more meds)...

And no,I didn't put this up for sympathy!....Just so you can get an idea of where I am coming from!.:D
Sorry to hear of what I can only imagine to be quite an ordeal, health wise. I would strongly suggest you check with your doctor regarding how the e-cig liquid may interact with your current meds.

Now's the time then, and I mean that in all seriousness.

Stop smoking. Knock drinking on the head for a year (I had to last year) and bring it back in gently perhaps keeping it to with meals only? Eat clean. Home cooked meat, fish and vegetables.Take up walking. No running, no gym or other silliness, just walking. Try half a mile to start with and build it up as you can. Drop the weight, take up a new sport ... for fun. Think out of the box - I took up fencing.

Make it a revolution!

You'll probably be able to stop the pills, too ...

I trust you understand I'm not talking through the top of my head. In all seriousness, get on with it. Far too many folks simply don't get a second chance.

Stop smoking. Knock drinking on the head for a year (I had to last year) and bring it back in gently perhaps keeping it to with meals only? Eat clean. Home cooked meat, fish and vegetables.Take up walking. No running, no gym or other silliness, just walking. Try half a mile to start with and build it up as you can. Drop the weight, take up a new sport ... for fun. Think out of the box - I took up fencing.

Make it a revolution!

I trust you understand I'm not talking through the top of my head. In all seriousness, get on with it. Far too many folks simply don't get a second chance.
Cheers Buddy!.
I

Make it a revolution!

Worse thing is,the last holiday I had,in 2005,was a walking trek along Hadrian's Wall...Before that,another walking holiday in Cumbria,mountains and all sorts!.
As soon as my spine collapsed,that was it,couldn't even walk to the bloody toilet!....

Well,after 30 years of smoking,I have decided to try and give up (failed very miserably in the past).
I finally bit the bullet,and spent £35 or so on an 'E ciggy' dongle,and some Golden Virginia taste alike stuff for it...
This should hopefully arrive next week...

http://www.jacvapour.com/basic-e-cigarette-starter-kit-for-beginners

All in stainless steel too.

Anyone else used one of these 'E ciggy' dongles?,did it help?,or failing that,how did you give up?.

Wish me luck...I certainly need it!.
I spent many years Counselling people with all sorts of substance use habits including smoking...Its horses for courses..In other words "What Works for You"....The only expert in your smoking habit is yourself Sir...Paradoxically...Sometimes the worst advice you can get is from former smokers because they push what worked for them & Rubbish everything else...Just the way it is...When I worked in the Counselling Field people with former substance misuse problems didn't always make the best Counsellors for that reason...I am speaking from a wealth of experience here...o_O

Just do and use whatever aid works for you...Its all about you...:D

Billy

I spent many years Counselling people with all sorts of substance use habits including smoking...Its horses for courses..In other words "What Works for You"....The only expert in your smoking habit is yourself Sir...Paradoxically...Sometimes the worst advice you can get is from former smokers because they push what worked for them & Rubbish everything else...Just the way it is...When I worked in the Counselling Field people with former substance misuse problems didn't always make the best Counsellors for that reason...I am speaking from a wealth of experience here...o_O

Just do and use whatever aid works for you...Its all about you...:D

Billy
Shall do buddy!.

If I hadn't started at the gym to 'get healthy and lose weight' I'd probably still be walking about without sticks - just too much for a spine waiting to crumble. Stay fat and happy! Wish I had 'cos I'm fat again now.

I stopped smoking the same way I stopped drinking - cold turkey. I applied the same logic to latter as I did to the former but I've been a lot more successful at keeping off the drink than the fags. No drink for over 12 years but I started back on the fags after having quit for four years and have spent the last eight years going through smoky patches. I gave up again shortly after my fortieth birthday but caved at my borthe's wedding in July and one fag. I didn't get all Rita Hayworth about it though as I did not enjoy it and it holds nothing like the fear or potential for disaster that having another drink would. FB is right - different strokes for different folks. The main thing is stopping and staying that way so however you do it is up to you.

I wish you all the success in the world because it's a pure penis trying to give up. I ain't apologising for the language as its the only word that properly underlines just how bloody difficult it is. Bloody worth it though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom