"How many razors do you need" ??

After reading two posts that made an impression on me, by Ian and Martin respectively, I decided to slooooowly start the stash reduction.

What ticked me in particular was when Ian wrote something like "...as I do not use (this) razor it is a pity sitting here..." and when Martin wrote something like "...I will sell most of the 70 (or whatever) razors at some stage. With the former comment I tend to agree more and more as time goes by; regarding the latter comment I believe Martin will never sell his collection (simply because an enthusiast or collector sells only if he really has to). I feel Martin is spot on mentioning that since he can indeed afford to have a collection (without having to decrease his budget on other things or basic household necessities) he has every right to acquire as many razors without feeling 'guilty' about it.

Therefore as I do not intend to collect, I lately thought of reducing the stash. But then again you've got people like James who put up these posts like "...these Wilkies are very very nice shavers..." and you start to double think whether you should sell or not... :roll:

N_Architect said:
Therefore as I do not intend to collect, I lately thought of reducing the stash. But then again you've got people like James who put up these posts like "...these Wilkies are very very nice shavers..." and you start to double think whether you should sell or not... :roll:

The man speaks the truth. Perhaps you should buy a back up one as well, just in case. I've a rather nice one here. I'll give you a good deal on it. ;)

DSC_0847.jpg

hunnymonster said:
N_Architect said:
Honestly, I am thinking of withdrawing mine now. It's beautiful, isn't it? :?

"Hello, I'm interested in the razor as it looks identical to one my late grandfather had; Since I am an impecunious man of the cloth, I wondered if you could agree a lower price?" :lol:

"And I'll take that Martin de Candre off your hands whilst I'm at it."

Etched in the folklore if TSR the "my old grandad line" :lol: :lol:

Tend to agree K, I have said to myself several times that it time to shed some razors I do not use. So I go through the ritual of amassing the troops line them up and inspect the ranks looking for flaws to merit dropping them from the squad, and then find I never get round to selling them. I do find I am much less sentimental about the modern (still in production) razors, however many of the older and rare versions have a story of a long patient wait and poking around. With these I am much more reluctant to let go of them and would need some sort of litmus test reassure me they are not my cup of tea.

And yes the Sticky gives a wonderful shave but I find it very mild, I have a mint boxed sticky that was a NOS one with cardboard outer when I got it. I use it maybe for one week in a year but still I would not dream of selling it; at least not without some compelling reason.

So far there has been 71 replies to this post, and I suspect that on-one has yet given the right answer! The answer to the question: "How many razors do you need?" Has to be...."One!"

However, I suspect that the spirit of the post is "How many razors do you want?" or even, "How many razors would you like to have?" then all the replies are correct!

:lol:

I guess, really, you only need one if you're a DE user..... probably 2 or 3 max if you're a straight user.

How many you want on the other hand is something different.

I only use two regularly, but I have an entire pen display box (28 IIRC) full of straights. Plus around 50 waiting for restoration. 3 are getting scales put on, and one is waiting for a quote on a regrind....

I think I have a problem. :oops:

asharperrazor said:
I only use two regularly, but I have an entire pen display box (28 IIRC) full of straights. Plus around 50 waiting for restoration. 3 are getting scales put on, and one is waiting for a quote on a regrind....

Buy another display box! No problem.

49er said:
asharperrazor said:

Buy another display box! No problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I bought the new display box to replace two older ones. I can fill those older ones up with the rest of the razors once they're finished. Although I might sell them to pay for living expenses. Haven't decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom