"How many razors do you need" ??

Right now I have somewhere between 60 and 70 razors and I am not in the least bit embarrassed about it. I set out initially to get at least one of each of them main types of vintage Gillettes then just kept going adding others that peaked my interest because rarity or price. I did not set out to collect so many and I will sell most of them one day.

In reply to the original post I would say to her "How many pair of shoes do you need?" Of course this is hypothetically speaking because you probably shouldn't ask this if you ever want to exercise your conjugal privileges ever again. We all know the answer to both questions of “How many do you need” is one. However needs and wants are very different things. In the same way that we men see multiple shoes that to us are really only are couple of types, a non shaver pair of eyes will just see a pile of razors with little differences and ask “Surely they all do the same job? “

Whether it is walking or shaving, yes indeed they do the same job but they feel and look very different. Just as I like to wear different clothes and eat different food I like to have different razors. Some of my razors are used regularly, others very seldom. As long as you enjoy it and are not financing the house to do it or neglecting other areas of your life then I don't see a problem with having one or one hundred razors.

Thankfully Mrs Audiolab is well schooled in the art of knowing when to let me do my thing and when I need a gentle jag in the ribs. Mostly she is happy that if this stuff makes me look tidier and is all part of why I have some pride in my appearance I guess in her opinion it is a small price to pay.

It could be worse; I could be a Vintage Rolex collector :shock:

OK a stock take list

Merkur Futur
Merkur 15C
Gliiette Slim Twist
Gillette Superspeed (British)
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather Popular
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Ever Ready 1912
Shavette
USA Special 4/8
Bassler 5/8 Stainless
Kropp 6/8
Allen & Son 5/8
Joseph Elliot Wedge (just re-polished with a rotary tool so needs honing again as I caught the edge while doing so)
Gold Dollar
Seehund 5/8
+ 2 straights in restoration!

I don´t know what to say ... Ok, my answear is: I don´t know - need = one, but that´s not an answear that applies on you odd balls (execpt for Vinnie, who prob´s the biggest odd ball of us all :lol:) :D

I havetwo three dailys.
I have the FrankenMach3 (yes it really does belong to me and now has an iKon handle)
I have an iKon standard
I have a 1930s Gillette Tech mated to an iKon handle

Then I have a selection of techs (14 all told, some of them are not used because they are too nice, but kept in reserve - two which would benefit from restoration, a couple up at the caravan -one with a nice custom heavy handle, one in my work bag and one in my gym bag).
A superspeed, a FatBoy and a Slim. 3 differing Mach 3 handles and a Fusion. Then there are the brushes.....
Obsessive?
Naaaaaah.

In summery
Dipesh
11-12 or I think 13
Yellow Jim
"Do you really need 23 razors?!"
pugh-the-special-one
Northern Saint
4,,,,soap /cream stands at 16.
hunnymonster
Only one in the bathroom, there are <ahem> some others <ahem> not in the bathroom.
37 - and quite a few have arrived since
RB73
14 of the bloody things with another on the way
Proudfoot
chrisbell
mrkiii
Canuck
moodymick
A fair few
slick
err 12 I think plus two loans two out One in and another going out
n1vlo
5 i think
Parwin
Arrowhead
7 DEs .......and a floating population of cut throats, about 50
sunburyboy93
30 vintage razors, 8 modern, 20 modern brushes,10 vintage / reknoted brushes
Fido
1,,,have some others tucked away for emergencies
49er
N_Architect
40 DEs 20 straights
beejay
kev...
joe mcclaine
mattlad
NotTheStig
12+
MandoBear
16+
quattrojames
jon_hall
bigsimes
Marcel
Audiolab
60-70
Skin Glider
Jeltz
Father Ted
25+

I am currently at 13, so I think I must be average Jo, some of you have got more some less. I can tell wifey that some members have lots more than me :shock: ,,,,,,,not sure if she'll believe that :roll: I might just clear out a couple just to show willing.

cheers guys, have a good weekend

Next question: is your collection expanding or contracting?

I have one out on loan and another two lined up for disposal. And I bailed out of the bidding on that nice pils-type iKon way too early, because I don't really need it. And I resisted that lovely double adjustable offer despite not having a slim.

Self control. I has it!

3 Slims “M1” my birth razor 1 I shave with the other 2 are on display
1 Fat Boy used when in a real hurry
1 Tech used to be my father in-laws
1 Unknown used to be my dads
1 Rolls Razor
1 Aristocrat
35ish shave ready straights
15 on going restored straights
100+ to restore straights

I only use about 3 or 4 of the straights regularly to shave with my favourite is a Joseph Rodgers and it is affectionately called Mr. Ugly because it is the worst straight that I own however it is used about twice a week.

I am always looking out for new razors and get about 2 a week on average to restore.

I give away straights to people I bump into that show an interest in shaving with them this culls some of the worst ones out of my collection.

SWMBO informs me I have enough razors to supply the army. However she doesn’t complain when I’m in my garage most days restoring them leaving her to watch TV in piece.

Next question: is your collection expanding or contracting?

Contracting. I've had 9, now I'm down to 4 so I've got rid of 5, mainly through giveaways on here.

For shaving, I may even go down to one and get rid of the Edwin Jagger, just keeping the Merkur HD.

I can't get rid of the techs, they're too pretty. And I may even be tempted to buy more, strictly for keeping. I actually don't really like them to shave with but I love owning them, how perverse is that?

Mine seems to be static or maybe growing but at a slower rate. I make an effort to sell one or two but then something else catches my eye. For instance I sold a Super Adjustable last week but took delivery of an old British open comb (Majestic) over the weekend. I'll have to post up pics of the new one tomorrow, it's cleaned up an absolute treat. :D

Hiya,

There's maybe six or seven razors in my regular rotation, so that's all I'd need to keep me happy for everyday use. Of course I may have a few back ups of my favorite types, but that's just good common sense.......

Martin

Good question, off the top of my head.. probably 50+ and +/- 15 straights.
Same as Steve, I see them as an investment (that's my excuse)
I will have to pull the "shoe card" if I ever get challenged, good one that!

Only 4 brushes, off which 2 are out on loan.

Max

Definitely static, I have not acquired any new DE's for some time now and not actively looking for any. However the brush, soap and blade collection still fluctuates quite a bit. I like brushes and soaps and these change almost every shave and also with my mood and the weather, the razor I tend to use for a week and change it every Saturday but my choice of which one to use is largely unaffected by things like the weather and mood. More of a practical consideration like not picking a potential face peeler combination if I am going out that evening and so on.

Max, you can try the shoe one if you want but I never had the call or the guts to use it, I think I would find a high heel embedded in a part of my anatomy if I stuck my big nose in that area of her life ;)

Back
Top Bottom