How Many Brushes Do You Own?

Just the four,
My old Trumper's Best Badger, a restored 'Made-Rite' badger I bought from JP, The Semogue OC boar and the Coates-Fitzwilliam I purchased last week. I'm quite keen to add a Vie Long horse-hair to the family though :)

10 for me. 7 used regularly and 3 yet to get wet.
EJ badger Super in large
T&H Finest badger in small
Omega boar
Vulfix boar
Pur Tech custom
TGN Finest custom
Boar custom
Unused:
Small silvertip custom
2x boar custom

About 7 and that is too many (I think), Rotate once a month or so.

Omega 49
Semogue 1800
Semogue 1305
Frank Shave Finest 24mm
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Turkish no.6

The travel kit is home to the Body Shop little wonder brush.

The 1305 is splaying way more than I like it too, is there a way of stopping this? It's a very good softy brush but it's all over the place (empty loo roles get soggy btw, tried it already).

Shemen Zait said:

Omega 49
Semogue 1800
Semogue 1305
Frank Shave Finest 24mm
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Turkish no.6

The 1305 is splaying way more than I like it too, is there a way of stopping this? It's a very good softy brush but it's all over the place (empty loo roles get soggy btw, tried it already).

Do you clean them periodically? Try using a bit of washing up liquid or baby shampoo to get rid of all the soap deposits.

Bechet45 said:
Well now I know why I have been feeling that I have slim pickins these days! I'm down to eighty-two brushes, the vast majority badger. I have six on order and a few ideas beginning to take shape.

Oh! and a couple of dozen waiting to be re-knotted or restored -

Hah, I knew you hadda buncha brushes. So over 100 now with six more on order eh? You've been busy.

Lb1 said:
Shemen Zait said:

Omega 49
Semogue 1800
Semogue 1305
Frank Shave Finest 24mm
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Turkish no.6

Do you clean them periodically? Try using a bit of washing up liquid or baby shampoo to get rid of all the soap deposits.

I simply rinse in hot tap water, if I use some Fairy liquid will it stop it from splaying as much?

Not saying it's a sure fire way but it's worth a try. Creams and soaps will have conditioners in the formulation which if not thoroughly cleaned out will impact on the hair. Or so I'm led to believe.

I rinse my brushes with baby shampoo once or twice a month in addition to the usual post shave rinse under the tap.

Lb1 said:
Not saying it's a sure fire way but it's worth a try. Creams and soaps will have conditioners in the formulation which if not thoroughly cleaned out will impact on the hair. Or so I'm led to believe.

I rinse my brushes with baby shampoo once or twice a month in addition to the usual post shave rinse under the tap.

I'll give it a go as we have tons of baby shampoo and as it's my only splaying brush, I can give it more love and attention, by the way a great face lathering brush, nicer than my only badger in that respect.

Jesus, I need to stop coming to this forum... I only have 3 brushes; a Vulfix 404, a Semogue 1305 Boar and a Semogue 2015 Badger. Now I think I need another one for the rotation. Any suggestions guys?

Re: RE: How Many Brushes Do You Own?

Mbalta said:
Jesus, I need to stop coming to this forum... I only have 3 brushes; a Vulfix 404, a Semogue 1305 Boar and a Semogue 2015 Badger. Now I think I need another one for the rotation. Any suggestions guys?
Kent Silvertex, now, it will be rude not pick one from John Lewis at£9.99

Currently I have a Kent T4 which is my main brush and a Kent travel brush for when I'm... well, travelling.

I've really struggled not to order a BK8 or similar. I love the softness of my Kent but the T4 has served me well for around ten years now I have no need to replace it!

Shemen Zait said:
Mbalta said:

Although a good synthetic for the price I personally think the Muhle v2 STF is miles ahead. Splays much easier and feels better on my face. It is 3x the price though but worth it in my opinion.

Re: RE: How Many Brushes Do You Own?

Lb1 said:
Shemen Zait said:
Mbalta said:

Although a good synthetic for the price I personally think the Muhle v2 STF is miles ahead. Splays much easier and feels better on my face. It is 3x the price though but worth it in my opinion.
Sound interesting Liam, where is the cheapest place to get one? I have my August hobby money all ready to go and the Mrs's gave me £25 on top for my birthday so will £35 do it? I hear the EJ synth is also a good choice.

Shemen Zait said:
Lb1 said:
Shemen Zait said:
Mbalta said:

Sound interesting Liam, where is the cheapest place to get one? I have my August hobby money all ready to go and the Mrs's gave me £25 on top for my birthday so will £35 do it? I hear the EJ synth is also a good choice.

I got mine from the shave lounge as it was a tiny bit cheaper ~£30 but it's swings and roundabouts as for a little more you'll get the tub of proraso from the Daily Male.
I went for the large/23mm one. Handle shape is what it boils down to between the Muhle and EJ as they use the same knots.

Just got the 21 mm Muhle in faux horn handle for £27 delivered (with the free Proraso soap) from The Daily Male. I was torn between that and the 23 mm one, but I preferred the horn handle.

Back
Top Bottom