How Many Brushes Do You Own?

I could see my brush count getting up to those figures sometime in the future!

Razors do interest me a bit, but not as much as brushes do (and soaps)

3 razors,

14 brushes,

16+ soaps.

Hiya,

I count my blessings, having not been infested with SBAD. Man, that's one way of spending some serious cash on a hobby not known for being too expensive to maintain. Unlike watches for example.

There's no way I think of myself as a collector of those goofy brush things, although I do use 4-5 in my rotation. Ok, that might be more than some people use.....I see that now. They all have their charms and it's nice having some options. Not bad eh? Well, not crazy at least.

Thinking about what's in the arsenal, there's somehow around another 10-12 more that I never use. These were vintage ones found in the wild over the years with the idea of the purty handles being reknotted ar some point. That may not happen for a while.

So even though I am not any sort of hard core crazy being drawn to brushes, I may have 15 of em laying around. How the hell does that happen?

Martin

Oh, I believe Carl has more than a few brushes, with lots of em being real nice ones. It's a miracle, seeing as how he's living on a homeless man's income. Praise the Lord.

Turning in to quite an iteresting thread this! We initially thought 20+ was the norm for brushes in rotation, but it then appears most have between 3-6ish though many have more on the way.

Then, on top of brushes, we have some owning up to more than a little razor addiction!!

I've just counted 'em up and I have 14, all badgers of different size, grades and handle types. I might be thinning the herd at some point soon though. I wonder what the TSR average is?

Dipesh said:
I choose not to count but they come out in lots of 7.

Here are this weeks:

Ahhhh, Dipesh, we've been expecting you!! Come on, spill the beans, we need to know!!

Nice line up for this week there, is that a Progress-Vulfix 404B I see, lovely brushes.

The Daily Male said:
Dipesh said:
I choose not to count but they come out in lots of 7.

Here are this weeks:

Ahhhh, Dipesh, we've been expecting you!! Come on, spill the beans, we need to know!!

Nice line up for this week there, is that a Progress-Vulfix 404B I see, lovely brushes.

Honestly, I don't know! Less than 100 for sure but more than 60. I've sold quite a few recently.

That vulfix is known as a Simfix Grosvenor. A proper Limited edition from Bullgoose shaving. This was from a time before it all went LE crazy. It's a lovely brush.

displayimage.php

- SOC Cherry Boar (24x57)
- Rod Neep African Stone Extra Silvertip (26x48)
- Gecko Stumpy Walnut Finest 2-band (26x48)
- Simpson Duke 2 Best (22x45)
- Vintage Fred Dickinson & Gilroy travel boar

Since Alex made me the 2-Band to my spec's about 4 months ago, I haven't used any of the others much, if at all.

mr..bean said:
I do like a fan brush. There, i've said it, sod it, I PREFER a fan brush!

What are the best fan knots out there then?! Enable me!

I prefer a fan too. You could do a lot worse than pick up a Simpsons Colonel X2L which is a hybrid fan/bulb shape and very nice indeed. Simpsons Best is as good as others' Silvertip and the knot is a great size for the high density common to Simpsons brushes. Works great with soaps and creams and a Simpsons brush on the bathroom shelf is sheer class.

Alternatively, you could contact 782SirBrian who could turn you a simply gorgeous handle to your spec and order a 24mm finest 2-band fan from TGN and have Brian fit it. I don't know if he takes commissions but there'd be no harming in politely asking - he is a true gent. I have that very knot in a handle of my own carving and it's fantastic for the money. Gecko on here makes lovely handles too and I love that one of Gravy's above. If I was carving myself another brush, I'd be fitting TGN's 24mm Super Badger fan to it.

I reached somewhere near a hundred across a variety of brands. Most of them were sold to members here. Now it's just a real buffalo horn Muhle and a real ivory vintage Kent.

Then I have a collection of my own New Forest brushes I have kept and use regularly as well as a healthy stock of new ones.

And every shave sees a big smile on my face. Thinking what on earth made me get involved in this. And I'm still glad I did.

Around +20:ish, I love my Simpsons a lot, but find myself grab others as frequent. But Peters (New Forest) brushes is really all you need for a good shave, I think, but then you want that extra special treat once in a while (big knots does it for me :)). When I travel I usually take my favourite New Forest (extra stuffed 2201) and my two band SOC (this August they'll see Paris for two weeks :D).

Back
Top Bottom