How do you take your single malt?

fancontroller said:
Interesting video on whisky glass choice here Whisky review 7

Ah Ralfy. I''ve been watching his videos since around number 30 IIRC. Complete eccentric and tends to detect hints on nose and palate which leave me wondering whether I've got the same stuff, but his advice is invaluable and his broader impressions of a malt usually sit somewhere near to mine.

The lady at the Glenmorangie distillery said that you need a splash of water to release all the flavour, and a late Scottish GP friend of mine always told me to always have water or ice with it, never neat.

These days I'm pretty-much tea-total, and I don't really miss it.

Ian

Glencairn glass for me as well :angel:

As for how i drink it...mmmm well
I went to the distillery at Oban years ago, before i drank the stuff, and at the end of the tour the sales gadgy told us during the tasting session that you should ALWAYS add water (same again) as this enhances and releases the flavours\aromas etc

However i prefer it neat and i drink my water seperately.
My grandad used to say "only 2 things in life should be naked son, whisky and wimmin!"
But then again he drank Teachers with a can of Tartan Special :icon_rolleyes:

Just got myself another bottle of Talisker 57 Degrees as it happens.
By the by, for any Talisker fans, this is another level :icon_razz:

I was told at a distillery that you should add a small drop of water to open the whisky up and let the aromas out. He said to think of it like the first drops of rain hitting the ground/grass and how you then smell the earth etc. Suppose it makes sense although I prefer mine with nothing in it.

Re: RE: How do you take your single malt?

Healy76 said:
I was told at a distillery that you should add a small drop of water to open the whisky up and let the aromas out. He said to think of it like the first drops of rain hitting the ground/grass and how you then smell the earth etc. Suppose it makes sense although I prefer mine with nothing in it.

Oooh, I like that. :)

Just depends on the whiskey Im drinking at the time. Glenfiddich 14yr old lovely neat
Glenrothes great with a splash of water. Same with Dalmore

Monkey Shoulder is a great blended sipper. One to look out for if you havent tried it

I was also told that the water should be bottled and if possible as close to where the Malt came from. Maybe a little too much but interesting idea.

Being a Bourbon man that us even more difficult challenge

Back
Top Bottom