How do you take your single malt?

Drown it with Coke.

I've taken to holding the glass in the palm for 10 minutes (as with brandy) to raise the temperature slightly, seems to brings out more of the flavour the flavour.

antdad said:
Drown it with Coke.

I've taken to holding the glass in the palm for 10 minutes (as with brandy) to raise the temperature slightly, seems to brings out more of the flavour the flavour.

Somebody I used to work with used to maintain he was a bourbon connoisseur, who could blind taste the difference between JD and Jim Beam and raved about JD single barrel.

How did he used to take it? In a pint glass filled with coke!

In a heavy bottomed lead crystal glass that I took during the clear out after my grand dad's passing. Makes me think of him whenever I have a drink.

I also add two ice cubes, because I'm a philistine :)

In a Scotch Malt Whisky society tasting glass. Usually approx a double measure neat.Might try a dash of water when I fancy finding out if it will open up more flavours. That's usually with a whisky I haven't tried before.

fancontroller said:
BraveBlades said:
haven't been able to stomach the stuff since i was "Educated" about over indulgence at the age of 16.

I had the same education but I eventually got over it after 30 years. The good news is that if you buy the good stuff it doesn't taste anything like the cheap stuff that I still remember, tasting twice :s all those years ago.

Neat at room temp. Still looking for an ideal glass; that Glencairn glass looks the business.

Hmm been 24 years since that event, i might try a single malt sometime (when offered, as i'm not about to spend that amount on a bottle i may not like) iirc it was Bells and Grouse i had been drinking that night.

I don't. Over ten years sober and I don't care how good this one is and about the merits of that one. For me, they all lead the same way - absolute fucking chaos and disaster. That said, I'd never begrudge anyone a drink unless they ram it up my nostril which I do not take kindly to. I sincerely wish that you all enjoy your single malt or whatever your preference may be, in the best of health and in comfortable surroundings.

You may think it unwise of me to read and respond to threads like these but let me explain: I do not wish to be a killjoy however it serves to remind others of the dangers and it is especially useful to me to face the demon, for complacency and the distance of time are my greatest dangers. I knew a fellow when I first started going to AA at the tender age of 23 that had been 14 years sober yet had turned to the bottle once more. He's deid.

I think the key thing is, it doesn't matter what the "right" way is - if I pay my money then the important thing is which way do I enjoy it best. I definitely accept that, to the connoisseur, ice is sacrilegious - but I've drunk enough malt to know that a bit of ice stops me getting heartburn, therefore it's the correct way for me to enjoy it :)

I used to enjoy Islay malts but had a very bad night on them and can't really even stand to smell them now. I can just about stomach some of the lighter flavours but always with ice or a bit of water. Tend not to bother nowadays. I remember all the local pubs had a few ceramic water jugs on the bar for the whisky drinkers. Yes Russ I'm talking about the 'Tap Shoap' :D

Definitely a hand up from me for an Islay malt. Think it was Lagavulin Single Malt that had that really awesome smoky flavour to it.

Depending on how unique its properties are, I may have it neat (like the one above). On the rocks though if it is not so flavour-full and/or if the weather is warmer.

Anything other than a single malt, I'd probably dunk it in coke...

A Glencairn glass is definitely the way to enjoy your whisky. Some nice ones available on Amazon. And a splash of water always opens up the flavours of a good malt - especially true of the Speysides.

Back
Top Bottom