hot or cold water?

If you're getting bad shaves, water temp would most likely not be the prime culprit. As well, they squat to shit over a hole in the ground in India. Would you recommend that? :D ;) Having spent time in the Third World I quickly realized that most there do things merely out of expediency and/or ignorance and not due to some innate cleverness.
But were talking about the mechanism of warm water and surfactants as per your post?? Not just hot water.

Regarding squatting, yes I would prefer to. Why? It's better for you.
http://www.squattypotty.com/5-problems-with-sitting-on-your-toilet/

Now I don't squat and defecate but I do have a particular posture.

Personally I think we have a lot to learn from third world countries. India is far from that now, in areas. A very famous rich man once said to me, a third world country doesn't necessarily produce a third world brain

Last edited:
It's easier for surfactants to remove oil, dirt & dead skin from your face using warm or hot water. That's why you wash your whites in hot water. You should do this before shaving. The soap/cream will provide any lubrication you need for the shave.
makes sense, we use hot water and soap to clean, but when we use soap to shave we don't want it to remove the oils , we just want it as a slippery cushioning layer to keep the blade from scraping the skin, so if cold water inhibits the soaps ability to remove oils that can only be a good thing.
i suppose the ultimate shaving material would be something that has the slickness of soap but none of the cleaning ability and water soluble too. i have thought about using hair conditioner but i believe it closes the "scales" on the hair follicle and makes them difficult to cut.

makes sense, we use hot water and soap to clean, but when we use soap to shave we don't want it to remove the oils , we just want it as a slippery cushioning layer to keep the blade from scraping the skin, so if cold water inhibits the soaps ability to remove oils that can only be a good thing.
i suppose the ultimate shaving material would be something that has the slickness of soap but none of the cleaning ability and water soluble too. i have thought about using hair conditioner but i believe it closes the "scales" on the hair follicle and makes them difficult to cut.

I think you misunderstood me. Perhaps I should have been clearer. You want to wash the oil (sebum), dirt & dead skin from your face with a cleanser BEFORE you apply your shave soap/cream. A good shave/soap cream will provide all the lubrication you need for the shave and if not you need to change your product (or prep time/method). I wash with a cleanser afterwards as well as I don't want shave cream on my face all day and to 'mop the floor' before applying an after shave. I generally use a different cleanser before & after shaving just to mix it up a little.

But were talking about the mechanism of warm water and surfactants as per your post?? Not just hot water.

Regarding squatting, yes I would prefer to. Why? It's better for you.
http://www.squattypotty.com/5-problems-with-sitting-on-your-toilet/

Now I don't squat and defecate but I do have a particular posture.

Personally I think we have a lot to learn from third world countries. India is far from that now, in areas. A very famous rich man once said to me, a third world country doesn't necessarily produce a third world brain
+ 1..Its Folks in the West that have went Backwards..:D

Billy

I think you misunderstood me. Perhaps I should have been clearer. You want to wash the oil (sebum), dirt & dead skin from your face with a cleanser BEFORE you apply your shave soap/cream. A good shave/soap cream will provide all the lubrication you need for the shave and if not you need to change your product (or prep time/method). I wash with a cleanser afterwards as well as I don't want shave cream on my face all day and to 'mop the floor' before applying an after shave. I generally use a different cleanser before & after shaving just to mix it up a little.
maybe you should re-read my post, my point was that the soap you use to shave with is not intended to do any cleaning, just lubrication,

I think it's good to start cold water shaving in the summer and then to shave in water at the summer cold temperature come winter - problem with that is that my water got warmer and warmer in January and February.

Don't fancy iced water, Roby - but imagine it would work well. Are you talking beer ice cold or 0C/32F cold? Aha! Florida winters - yes, I can see ice water would be good there.

Back
Top Bottom