hot or cold water?

I've had a few very good cold shaves. Face prep using hot water as normal then get everything cold and shave. Advantages? Other than being nice on a hot day maybe none. I might, but that's might maybe dunno have better skin afterwards with less irritation. Hard to say.

Used to solely cold water shave with a DE moving to straights I now use hot water, I do get a closer shave with hot water. In summer I prefer mentholated soaps and cold water. So kind of seasonal and apparatus based for me.

Different strokes for different folks. But very interesting! Cold water shaving does seem to cause less irritation from post so far.

I think it would be good if we all swapped and post back what we thought. Is there any difference in the shave and post shave experience.

Whosthedaddy said:
Had horrible shaves when I've tried cold. Felt like trying to shave with no real prep and whiskers hard as wire.

Hot shower for me.

It's idea is to use a hot water prep for best results so a hot shower first is fine. Then it's cool the face with cold water before shaving. The colder the better.

Ermmm both.
I usually have a hot shower / bath beforehand anyway (night shaver) then use a couple of hot flannels while my brush is soaking. When I actually start shaving though, I switch to cold for rinsing the razor & washing off between passes. That's mostly because I can feel my wallet contracting if I leave the hot tap to run straight down the plughole!

I've been carving up my chin something terrible lately, but I'm certain it's down to cack-handedness rather than water temp.

I've tried hot and cold over the past couple of days and come to the conclusion. Cold is alright for DE shaving but it must be hot water for an open blade. I found this out by putting a nice line in my chin. But on the good side it goes slow the blood flow down a bit.

i always thought it was better to use hot water for the shave and finish with a cold water splash to close the pores. I tend just to go with cold water as our hot water takes an age to heat up and i hate pouring water down the drain without using it :)

Back
Top Bottom