hot or cold water?

Hot prep and tepid shave for me with cold rinse at the end.
Hot water during the shave will increase the chance of irritation. Cold during the shave is safest for me but I compromise with tepid water as it's more comfortable - especially during winter.

Idea... Try No Water. Closed comb DE razor, New blade, nice alcohol based AS, nice lotion.
Usually 2 passes. One WTG, one XTG.
(Use the blade only once.)

Johnus said:
Idea... Try No Water. Closed comb DE razor, New blade, nice alcohol based AS, nice lotion.

That's what I do!!! No water.....water is for sissy boys. Use a vampire like the 04 Old Type, and a brand new Derby. Only thing I do different is instead of AS I use a nice hi octane EdT.

Amazing!

I use cold. I think Nishy did a long post about the benefits of cold water shaving a year or so ago and I tried it and never switched back. I use cold water for everything and a very sharp blade: DE, SE or straight (although my straight technique still needs work). I find that I get zero skin irritation with a cold water shave. None. Ever..... With hot I got a lot more razor burn..... cold all the way especially in winter. Very refreshing. Very comfortable and very addictive too!

jeepie said:
I use cold. I think Nishy did a long post about the benefits of cold water shaving a year or so ago and I tried it and never switched back. I use cold water for everything and a very sharp blade: DE, SE or straight (although my straight technique still needs work). I find that I get zero skin irritation with a cold water shave. None. Ever..... With hot I got a lot more razor burn..... cold all the way especially in winter. Very refreshing. Very comfortable and very addictive too!

Hi Jeepie

So do you use hot water for your prep though to hydrate or just straight in to the cold water?.

Blake

Blakec911 said:
jeepie said:

Hi Jeepie

So do you use hot water for your prep though to hydrate or just straight in to the cold water?.

Blake

Hey blake ...

I just use cold only - no hot water at all, ever. So I run a very deep basin full of cold water and put one of Fido's finest brushes in to soak for 3 minutes. During this time I wash my face with the cold water whilst the sink is filling up - 10 goes/handfuls to hydrate the beard; this bit is bracing, but I'm used to it now and it's like a chilli kick - it gets me going. Then I just lather up and shave 3 passes dipping the brush in the cold water and rinsing off my face between passes with the cold water. It's honestly been a revelation. I love it.

It's especially soothing on the neck area and I get zero razor burn there. In fact I've forgotten what it's like to get razor burn. I think possibly it's easier to cut oneself with very cold water - not sure - but just go carefully and all's good.

Let me know how you get on if you try it! My hands - cupping the water and washing my face - are the only discomfort. It's a really nice feeling on the face and a really nice shave once you become accustomed to it.

Cheers

Jeepie

jeepie said:
Blakec911 said:
jeepie said:

Hi Jeepie

Blake

Hey blake ...

I just use cold only - no hot water at all, ever. So I run a very deep basin full of cold water and put one of Fido's finest brushes in to soak for 3 minutes. During this time I wash my face with the cold water whilst the sink is filling up - 10 goes/handfuls to hydrate the beard; this bit is bracing, but I'm used to it now and it's like a chilli kick - it gets me going. Then I just lather up and shave 3 passes dipping the brush in the cold water and rinsing off my face between passes with the cold water. It's honestly been a revelation. I love it.

It's especially soothing on the neck area and I get zero razor burn there. In fact I've forgotten what it's like to get razor burn. I think possibly it's easier to cut oneself with very cold water - not sure - but just go carefully and all's good.

Let me know how you get on if you try it! My hands - cupping the water and washing my face - are the only discomfort. It's a really nice feeling on the face and a really nice shave once you become accustomed to it.

Cheers

Jeepie

Hey Jeepie

I'm definitely going to give the full cold shave a trial! I shaved last night and did my normal hot shower firstly but before the shave i did bathe my face in cold water and i've got to say i did get any razor burn at all afterwards!!

I'll keep you posted.

Blake

dodgy said:
Johnus said:

That's what I do!!! No water.....water is for sissy boys. Use a vampire like the 04 Old Type, and a brand new Derby. Only thing I do different is instead of AS I use a nice hi octane EdT.

Amazing!

Gulp!!

Warm water for me during the shave. Rinse off with warm then close the pores with as cold a water I can get from the tap :D

I think I read the same or a similar post about six months ago - been cold water shaving every shave since then. I will maybe wait until we get a cold snap here and try a more traditional hot water shave again, just for the contrast.

I think that occasionally shaving in cold is a good thing, if for no other reason than that it's good practice should you find yourself temporarily without the hot stuff. I remember my Dad hating to shave with cold water when we were camping many years ago. I think I did get a bit more razor burn with hot water, but I usually get the burn because I get obsessed with perfection -- can't blame water temperature for that.
~

Cold water shaving just works for me. I prep by washing my face with cold water and soap, no shower. While i'm doing that, my bush is soaking in a cup of warm water and I'm also blooming the soap with warm water too. I get better results with a warm brush and the bloomed smell from the soap is nicer. Bt the time I've loaded the brush and applied it to my face the water isn't that warm. Then I just fill the sink with cold water and shave away.

I prepare my lather in a scuttle with hot water but the actual shave, razor rinse and face rinse and face rinse is with cold water. It's a little bit less comfortable but I get a better shave like that.

Back
Top Bottom