Home Made Soap - cast your vote!

After a 3 day gap (with a cold) got to try #1 using the same rub and face lather technique. Scent was very pleasant, but not as likeable as #2; the shaving performance I thought, was identical, which BTW was excellent in all aspects. Post shave for me was very smooth and comfortable. I didn't find a great difference from these to the previous samples with Lanolin.
It's a shame that some people are more sensitive to certain ingredients than others. But I'm sure James knows that you can't please everybody.
I still preferred #2's scent even though I thought I detected citrus.

Reactions: OSP
Apologies James, been suffering with man flu so haven't really had a chance to shave.

Used No2 last night and for me, the performance was identical to No1. Same thick yogurt like lather. The only difference is the scent was a bit milder but again there was no soapy smell.

I didn't get any irritation/burning at all.

Post shave was excellent, skin was soft and not dry or tight.

Soap wise they both performed brilliantly. 1 had the edge for me because of the scent, but that is very much a YMMV thing.

Looking forward to buying some WHEN you start production.

Everyone has picked up on the lavender and the woody spicy notes. I am away from my computer though. I will give more info when I get home tonight.

Does everyone feel like lanolin should be included? Even if it disrupts the scent a bit?
On the strength of the samples provided, it doesn't need it, but I would be interested in seeing if there was a marked improvement with it included.

FYI I've posted my samples to @grarea for a bigger spread of use :) Thanks again @OSP for the opportunity to sample these :)

I need to go back and try them again, but I would be interested to see what difference the lanolin makes. I think you have a great Soap, but if lanolin could give a really nice post shave feel too, then this would obviously make it that bit more desirable.

Obviously if it ruined the scent, then maybe not!!!

Hi again,

I just went back and tried version 1, but this time lathered my usual way. I soaked my brush and shaked out most of the water, then loaded it.

I started building the lather and added water slowly. This time the lather was a lot thicker, and an improvement on my earlier efforts. This lather was very good and better than professionally made soaps that I have bought!

Good stuff OSP. Now I am learning how to get the best from it, I would happily buy this Soap.

Matt

Gave 1 another go today. Not really a fan of MWF but have some so swirled the brush a few times in it and then loaded up with 1. I like 1 on its own but think the lanolin enhanced it a wee bit and made it a little more comfortable during and after the shave. If you ever do a batch like 1 with just a little lanolin added would certainly be interested in trying it. If it worked out as well as my shave today then it would rank among my top 3 soaps. Of course it might have felt better today simply because I like dabbling around with the soaps, moisturizers, etc. and I have a good imagination :) . All in all think you have done really well and appreciate you giving me the opportunity to take part in this effort.

Micheal

Gave 1 another go today. Not really a fan of MWF but have some so swirled the brush a few times in it and then loaded up with 1. I like 1 on its own but think the lanolin enhanced it a wee bit and made it a little more comfortable during and after the shave. If you ever do a batch like 1 with just a little lanolin added would certainly be interested in trying it. If it worked out as well as my shave today then it would rank among my top 3 soaps. Of course it might have felt better today simply because I like dabbling around with the soaps, moisturizers, etc. and I have a good imagination :) . All in all think you have done really well and appreciate you giving me the opportunity to take part in this effort.

Micheal
Funny you say that mate, I have officially decided to sell! And even better news - number one will be in there!. I am going to do one more scent as a tester, with half the normal amount of lanolin. Hopefully this will not obscure any nice scent but will also improve the post shave. I have to admit, I far prefer the post shave with lanolin.

Funny you say that mate, I have officially decided to sell! And even better news - number one will be in there!. I am going to do one more scent as a tester, with half the normal amount of lanolin. Hopefully this will not obscure any nice scent but will also improve the post shave. I have to admit, I far prefer the post shave with lanolin.
Excellent on the selling and the lanolin test! Will keep watching on this forum for further details.

Micheal

Good news on the selling, James! Where do I sign up?

Of course, there's no reason why you can't do some with lanolin or fragrance oils, people will just go for what they're comfortable with.

Last part of the test for me was badger brush with #1 today. The scent's grown on me, it seemed really nice today. I might be starting to prefer it to #2. Again, the lather was excellent. It's very forgiving of adding a lot of water by mistake and is easily saved if that happens.

A bit of an average shave with number 2, probably let it get too wet, but three shaves in and 1 is a winner! A very, very smooth shave with a Hoffritz slant and a Sputnik blade, just as good as your other samples but the smell is very nice indeed. I think it probably needs to smell stronger to make an impact in the market, but the soap itself is cracking!

A bit of an average shave with number 2, probably let it get too wet, but three shaves in and 1 is a winner! A very, very smooth shave with a Hoffritz slant and a Sputnik blade, just as good as your other samples but the smell is very nice indeed. I think it probably needs to smell stronger to make an impact in the market, but the soap itself is cracking!

I'm sure this has something to do with fragrance oils in number 2. Too many people are saying its performance is slightly lacking for it to be a coincidence!

Back
Top Bottom