Home Made Soap - cast your vote!

Couple of things gents -

Why the bloody hell has the soap gone blue? only thing i can think of is that this time I ran out of wax paper and the normal jiffy bag style envelopes - maybe the envelope got wet and some ink soaked into the soap? lesson learned!!!

Michael - which smell did your wife like most and thought was lavender and citrus?

In answer to whosthedaddy, I find my soap works best with a freshly dunked brush and then lift the brush out the water, and let all the water drip out WITHOUT shaking or doing anything to the brush, maybe a tiny shake. My soap loves water, and its the best way to help soften the hairs and help the skin, as we know.

Kul - when you say amazing scent, which one?
The wife made the remark regarding 2. Unfortunately I had put the 1 in a tub that still had the lingering scent of coconut so that fouled up that test. As regards the blue markings in the soap .. I thought it was supposed to be that way .. oh well ;(

Micheal

oh dear. sorry gents! Ive messed up on that one!

Will the ink not wash off like Kul mentions? or can you not take a thin skin off it somehow to remove it?

Also, please stick with the number one - the coconut smell will probably fade. And anyway, with a tiny bit of coconut and all of that soap, i doubt you'd be able to smell it. you're probably smelling something in my soap that smells like coconut. It doesn't have that in it by the way so maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
oh dear. sorry gents! Ive messed up on that one!

Will the ink not wash off like Kul mentions? or can you not take a thin skin off it somehow to remove it?

Also, please stick with the number one - the coconut smell will probably fade. And anyway, with a tiny bit of coconut and all of that soap, i doubt you'd be able to smell it. you're probably smelling something in my soap that smells like coconut. It doesn't have that in it by the way so maybe I'm wrong.
i'll give it a rub under the tap before using it mate. not to worry

Hi everyone.

I too suffered from the purple curse ;-), but cut the purple bits off as a) as mentioned didn't know what it would do to my face and b) whether it would dye the tips of my brush! Photo attached for interest. Easy to cut off so no issue at all.

Smell wise i generally dont like lavendar too much, but i am impressed as it is a nice subtle fragrance, and like it. I wondered if there had been any smell contamination during transit, so i have seperated the samples and will give them a good comparative sniff tomorrow!

Just to defy logic I started with number 2. I didn't load the brush much at all, and added a fair bit of water. For some time the lather looked very wishy washy and then boom, the lather came in impressive volume.

Once applying to the face, my first reaction was that the lather may seem a little thin, and I wondered if it would dissipate but it didn't. I got 3 passes easily. Face feel afterwards is good, but not the wow factor I got from say MWF.

Overall I am very impressed. I am interested in making my own soap if I managed to make anything this good I would be very pleased with myself! I will try again in two days with version 1, and then come back to 2 and try using more Soap to see if it thickens the lather a little.

Good skills!

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_203604.jpg
    IMG_20150915_203604.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: OSP
Thanks gents.

Look forward to what the rest of you have to say!
James - Test of Number 1 went well, very very well.
I initially thought the scent was going to be too weak for my liking but, boy i was wrong it's a very clean, subtle smell. which gently wafts around during the shave. And Boy what a shave, glorious creamy lather which didn't dissipate and left my skin feeling really soft and slightly tightened. I just love this stuff. I hope you wrote down the formula for that stuff. I'd buy it :D

number 2 will be given a run tomorrow.

Just a fantastic job James - spot on for my liking.

Reactions: OSP
Thank you for a real feel good shave! I used No. 2 this morning and was well impressed. Scent pleasant but mild. Slick and glide good. Cushioning good. My only problem was that I couldn't get it to lather - using my every day technique that works for MWF, I got a brush full of cream. It painted on very well and enabled a wonderful shave - really enjoyed it. The cream was thirsty but thinned with the addition of a drop of water - easily overcome by loading the brush a bit more to thicken it.

Having now looked at the photos above, I'll go check the salt level in my water softener. I think I'm OK because Nanny's bath soap exploded into lather as usual - in the shower. Yup! salt level OK.

Thank you for a real feel good shave! I used No. 2 this morning and was well impressed. Scent pleasant but mild. Slick and glide good. Cushioning good. My only problem was that I couldn't get it to lather - using my every day technique that works for MWF, I got a brush full of cream. It painted on very well and enabled a wonderful shave - really enjoyed it. The cream was thirsty but thinned with the addition of a drop of water - easily overcome by loading the brush a bit more to thicken it.

Having now looked at the photos above, I'll go check the salt level in my water softener. I think I'm OK because Nanny's bath soap exploded into lather as usual - in the shower. Yup! salt level OK.
Bear in mind that number 2 is the fragrance oil version - didn't you say your skin doesn't like them?

Back
Top Bottom