Home Made Soap - cast your vote!

Arrived today. 1 seems to have a more natural smell, 2 was a bit sharper scent. Wife really likes the scent and thought it was citrusy with maybe some lavender. Lathered up 1 for a shave, had to work a bit for the lather but think that was because of the container being used to hold the soap. Confident that I'll get a better lather tomorrow. No noticeable lingering 'soap' smell, at least in the negative sense. Was pleased with being able to do a WTG, XTG, and ATG with comfort. No razor burn! Was a bit cautious with the whole process this time so am looking forward to tomorrow's shave as I plan on going at it with a bit more gusto.

Arrived today. 1 seems to have a more natural smell, 2 was a bit sharper scent. Wife really likes the scent and thought it was citrusy with maybe some lavender. Lathered up 1 for a shave, had to work a bit for the lather but think that was because of the container being used to hold the soap. Confident that I'll get a better lather tomorrow. No noticeable lingering 'soap' smell, at least in the negative sense. Was pleased with being able to do a WTG, XTG, and ATG with comfort. No razor burn! Was a bit cautious with the whole process this time so am looking forward to tomorrow's shave as I plan on going at it with a bit more gusto.

I thought a whiff of lavender too but not entirely floral?

Couple of things gents -

Why the bloody hell has the soap gone blue? only thing i can think of is that this time I ran out of wax paper and the normal jiffy bag style envelopes - maybe the envelope got wet and some ink soaked into the soap? lesson learned!!!

Michael - which smell did your wife like most and thought was lavender and citrus?

In answer to whosthedaddy, I find my soap works best with a freshly dunked brush and then lift the brush out the water, and let all the water drip out WITHOUT shaking or doing anything to the brush, maybe a tiny shake. My soap loves water, and its the best way to help soften the hairs and help the skin, as we know.

Kul - when you say amazing scent, which one?

I'd be careful putting soap that has ink on it on your face! especially as you will be re-lathering probably and putting it on freshly shaved skin. I would cut those bits off if i were you.

No1 smells amazing.
No2 has a more subtle scent, doesn't have the soapy undertones.

Instead of trimming the soap to get rid of the ink, I just rubbed with my hands under a tap like I would with a bar of soap and the ink washed off.

Hope not to spoil those who haven't received theirs yet but my predictions on scent have changed since lathering a piece of 1

In the hand, a little soapy and lavender type scent. But when lathered the scent is stronger and more Oriental as in coconut / lemongrass? Not that hard to get a very impressive dense slick lather. Initial impressions are good.

image.jpg

Reactions: OSP
I thought coconut when I was sniffing earlier. To my nose the strength of the aroma from both soaps was fairly equal, just that each was distinctively "different" with no1 being a bit more complex.

Woohoo, guessed somewhat right then??

However, 1 has the stronger scent? Interesting that has less oils but stronger scent?
Actually, they have the same amount of oils in them.
I have heard other soap makers saying that they really load their soap with scent when they use fragrance oils, I'm guessing because they are weaker? Who knows. Where I can, I'll try and stay away from fragrance oils - 100% natural, where possible.

I was inspired by a sample of Barrister an Man's Baudelaire that Uncle Bertie sent me - was going for a fougere type scent in both cases, just with different labels. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom