Hello and how do!

Did not know that!,thanks Nishy!,I still have about 5 ltr's,of Acetone,20 ltr's Hydrogen Peroxide,but I have run out of IPA,and Sodium Hydroxide,and Hydrochloric acid,mind....Ill stock up tomorrow!....;)

Panic buying coming up me thinks!...LOL!
Yep, unfortunately its on the 'watch' list, so give it some time, it usually disappears of shelves, nothing immediate if you know what I mean. The other shocker if ever you buy ferrous sulfate tablets, is the price increase.

Welcome to TSR. Beautiful razor, one of those is on my ever expanding bucket list! As you've already seen, plenty of sound, friendly advice here. Excellent clean up job, it's often surprising what can be done without resorting to metal polish and risking the silver plated finish.

So what's next on the list?

Regards,
Chris

Thanks again for the comments and welcome, folks.

I still haven't used the old Gillette yet. I know, I know but I want to clean inside the handle and screw thread more thoroughly first. I haven't got anything that'll get in all recesses and there's a fair bit of crud up/in there judging by what I've already managed to remove.

In the meantime, I had a cracking shave yesterday - the best so far (details in this week's SOTD thread). Previously, I've only used moisturiser after a shave but yesterday I used a wood hazel & tea tree cleanser and also an aftershave balm, before the moisturiser. What a difference!

Welcome to TSR. Beautiful razor, one of those is on my ever expanding bucket list! As you've already seen, plenty of sound, friendly advice here. Excellent clean up job, it's often surprising what can be done without resorting to metal polish and risking the silver plated finish.

So what's next on the list?

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris, that's a good question and as it happens I do I have a list, and it seems to be growing daily. :)

Firstly, I have the fantastic blade pack, bought from the BST section, winging their way to me. I'm really looking forward to trying some new blades.

I'll also be picking up some decent pre-shave software soon too, and a better brush at some point (the £3.50 WS bristle brush is doing a surprisingly good job but I don't know how long for - it's already loosing brisles).

Oh, and a bowl or scuttle. They look quite useful too.

As far as new razors go, I like the look of those adjustables. :)

So you're RAD, SAD and BAD! Full blown addiction, welcome to the club.

As for cleaning inside the razor handle you might try a small test tube brush (dare I suggest a cleaned makeup brush) or pipe cleaners, after a good, long soak in boiled (not boiling) water with some washing up liquid to loosen up the gunk. I'm the same, taking some time to properly clean a few recent acquisitions before using them.

I can vouch for the attraction of the adjustables, I feel it too!

Regards,
Chris

I still haven't used the old Gillette yet. I know, I know but I want to clean inside the handle and screw thread more thoroughly first. I haven't got anything that'll get in all recesses and there's a fair bit of crud up/in there judging by what I've already managed to remove.
I've said it before: you need an ultrasonic cleaner... not as expensive as they sound... :D

So you're RAD, SAD and BAD! Full blown addiction, welcome to the club.

As for cleaning inside the razor handle you might try a small test tube brush (dare I suggest a cleaned makeup brush) or pipe cleaners, after a good, long soak in boiled (not boiling) water with some washing up liquid to loosen up the gunk. I'm the same, taking some time to properly clean a few recent acquisitions before using them.

I can vouch for the attraction of the adjustables, I feel it too!

Regards,
Chris

I have been assured that Santa Claus is bringing me a very nice large suribachi shaving scuttle (from Steve Woodhead Ceramics) for Christmas so that's one thing ticked-off the list. :)

I've said it before: you need an ultrasonic cleaner... not as expensive as they sound... :D

I got there in the end. All cleaned and lightly polished (inside too). :)

cleangillette2.jpg

cleangillette3.jpg

cleangillette4.jpg

cleangillette5.jpg

cleangillette6.jpg

Turned out alright...
Nice job. Now shave with it... You know you want to... Get it dirty! :D

Oh yes, once I get my hands on some Barbicide, the old gal will be getting used a lot (disclaimer: unless it's much more aggressive than my Classic and I shave my face off on the first try. :oops:).

That beauty doesn't need barbicide anymore. Only water bears can survive that treatment. It will be more aggressive than the Classic, but watch the angle, listen to it and use no pressure and you'll be alright. Maybe start with just one pass WTG with it and finish with your usual razor, if you're scared. Most of all - enjoy it. It deserves to be used.

Back
Top Bottom