Hello and how do!

Hello, I'm based in the UK and I'm in the process of switching over to DE shaving after many years of cartridge shaving (...at three times the speed of sound, if you know what I mean).

I've been using a basic old Wilkinson Sword Classic razor for the last week or so and now I've got the hang of shaving properly with it and really enjoying the experience, I'm confident I'll be sticking with DE for the long term.

I also have a vintage 1920's Gillette 3-piece razor which I'd love to start using. I was given it about 20 years ago by an elderly relative but I've never used it because the finish is quite bad and it needs replating (there is a small spot of corrosion on the head). If anyone could give me any advice re getting it sorted out then I'd be very grateful.

That's enough of my babbling, cheers!

Hello and welcome to TSR. Good advice from Northam Saint there. It's often quite amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do to an old razor without the need to replate. There is plenty of advice here on the forum on how to clean a vintage razor. Read that, follow the advice and clean the razor. Then have a shave with it. Oh yes - and post some pictures.... Enjoy your shaves...

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I've just taken some quick photos. I'm sure I could have a good crack at cleaning it but it's the corrosion that's putting me off the most. What do you think? (Corrosion shown in the last picture.)

gillette1.jpg

gillette2.jpg

gillette3.jpg

gillette4.jpg

Very nice. Give it a very good scrub (read the forums) and see what happens. If the corrosion doesn't go away ... ignore it for a while and see if you like the shave. Then decide if you want to shell out on replating... I'm not a Gillette guy myself, but that handle is handsome...

Very nice. Give it a very good scrub (read the forums) and see what happens. If the corrosion doesn't go away ... ignore it for a while and see if you like the shave. Then decide if you want to shell out on replating... I'm not a Gillette guy myself, but that handle is handsome...

That sounds like very good advice.

I'm pleased I'm not the only one that likes it. It feels fantastic in the hand - compact and weighty - and I'd really love to use it.

Time to get reading and scrubbing! Thanks again.

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I've just taken some quick photos. I'm sure I could have a good crack at cleaning it but it's the corrosion that's putting me off the most. What do you think? (Corrosion shown in the last picture.)

[....]

gillette4.jpg
Btw: The numbers/letters in the picture are the serial number. Unfortunately I can't make it out in the photo, but you should be able to date the razor fairly well using the serial number. Have a look here.

Btw: Another thread about cleaning razors is here. You can stop cleaning when the razor looks like this:
ldmBKU

:D

Last edited:
I couldn't resist making a start on it last night and gave it a thorough once-over with a small nail brush, hot water & Fairy Liquid. It's not as shiny as the one pictured above (...yet!) and I need to get pipe-cleaners or similar for the insides, but it looks a lot better already. Surprisingly, the rust came off with some scrubbing and gentle picking with my fingernail and the plate looks fine underneath, which I'm very pleased about. :)

I believe this razor is silver plated and for the next stage of cleaning (after I do the insides) I'm thinking of using the baking soda/aluminium foil/hot water/15 minute soak method. From what I've read it is the gentlest way to clean tarnished silver without damaging/removing any of the silver plate through abrasion.

Any thoughts on this before I go for it this evening?

Thanks again for the comments and advice, it's been very interesting and extremely useful.

PS. The code on the head is: 116737A
Does that make it a 1921 model?

Almost 95 years old and made a year after the patent was granted (the handle is stamped "PAT JAN 13 1920").

It's not difficult to become very fond of old razors, is it? :)

Welcome along buddy, that's a lovely old Gillette you have there.

Thanks for the welcome, Nick.

The old Gillette is coming along nicely. A good scrub in Fairy Liquid last night and two ten minute baths in aluminium foil, boiled water & bicarbonate of soda (baking soda in the US) this evening has made the world of difference.

I haven't polished it at all yet, just dried it off with a cloth, but it doesn't look like the same razor! (I've included a picture of the serial number again in case you don't believe me :) ). It's not "gleaming" yet but I'm getting there.

gillette5.jpg

gillette6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom