Hello and how do!

Thanks again for the replies and advice, folks. It is much appreciated.

Do you think it needs sterilising before I use it (baring in mind it hasn't been used for over 20 years)? The only sanitiser I have on hand is Starsan, which I use when home brewing. It's acid based though so I doubt very much it's suitable.

I plan to order some new blades this week, both for this razor and my Wilkinson Sword Classic. I'm very new to this and so far have only used the blades supplied with my Classic so I'm looking forward to ordering a selection to try.

Anyway, the Classic is still doing me proud and I had my first shave with a brush and proper shaving soap (Palmolive shave stick) last night. It was fantastic. I'd previously been hand-lathering an ordinary bar of soap but the brush and Palmolive was a much nicer experience. That smell! It was bliss. :)

I don't think that anything would have survived the cleaning process. Get some Barbicide if you are paranoid or if you think it is likely you might buy second face razors or take part in our marvellous lending pool.
There is also currently a blade selection pack clearance in the BST section of the forum.

I'll have a think about whether or not to sterilise it but thanks for the heads-up on the blade pack clearance. I've put an order in. :)

Thanks again Riverrun, you have been extremely helpful.

I clean up vintage razors day in,day out mate (literally) ,use every single one,and never once have I caught anything from any of them.By the looks of your polishing job,you don't have anything to worry about!.
A good hot 60C 15 minute run in an ultrasonic bath,with 20% Acetone,80% distilled/deionised water (tap water will do,but I am fussy!...LOL!),and a good splash of GREEN washing up liquid,will set you up...

I clean up vintage razors day in,day out mate (literally) ,use every single one,and never once have I caught anything from any of them.By the looks of your polishing job,you don't have anything to worry about!.
A good hot 60C 15 minute run in an ultrasonic bath,with 20% Acetone,80% distilled/deionised water (tap water will do,but I am fussy!...LOL!),and a good splash of GREEN washing up liquid,will set you up...

Cheers but unfortunately the closest I can get to an ultrasonic bath is placing a bowl of water on the tumble dryer. :)

Back
Top Bottom