Have you found your best razor or are you still searching

I thought that the 37c is the all round razor for a long time, it does the 2 pass routine without drama and it's leaving me presentable where I need to. Other tried their best to circumnavigate the humble Merkur especially the R41 (that one proved it can manage but only every other day) and Future clone.

I thought that this is it! and I am happy with my fair share of life. Little did I know.. It came deep from the left field unexpectedly with a tub of TOBS from Dave the Rave, I give you Mr Wardonia Devon set.

Once I nicked SWAMBO's nose players to prepare some Voshkods for it, I was in to a winner. It's more efficient than the 37c by at list R41 factor (to my mug), however it is doing some black magic somehow and leave no scrapping behind and what I can only describe as Sargent Major level of smoothness*.

*Little story, when I was in the service and about to go on leave, the Sargent major had us marching and waiting for his inspection.
Nails were checked, stiff collars were observed and a sharp look all-round was demanded .
Then he took a thin business card and scraped it against each soldier cheeks, if he heard the slightest scrape, he sent that sinner back to the cubicles to get his shave sorted and also awarded him a delay of one hour in their leave.

Only if I had a Wardonia then, unfortunately I only had a Contour clone.

Last edited:
I did find mine as I've stated before but I've sold or broken them so now on the look out once again!?!

Then again, I've got a little aggressive plastic DE from Eastern Germany that suits me to the ground but do miss the OC slants

You were issued with individual " Soldier Chicks " Shemen ? Guys in our Forces have to provide their own ... though if hairy they would be expected to exfoliate !

JohnnyO. o/
Darn spell checker in Firefox, smooth cheeks were all the rage in the 80's, follow that you had to obtain special permission to grow facial hair for religious reasons you know.. the belief awakening was off the scale shal we say.

Much smaller, I would imagine?

vintage-shaving-w.-j.-myatt-of-birmingham-ladies-safety-razor-in-metal-case-circa-1930-40s-[2]-172-p.jpg

What a question! The mind boggles as to how many I now own and have tried. A wise man once said stainless is where it is at and ATT is a quick fix to most unobtainable DE razors. He was correct on both counts. The ATT R2 and H1 are superb razors. Having just taken delivery of a Wolfman and awaiting an ATT SE as well as the Timeless Razor OC, only time will tell if the ATT R2 or H1 can remain supreme.

In terms of precision machining the Wolfman wins hands down.

So far my journey has been (in terms of favourites)
EJ89 Chatsworth Barley Chrome
Ikon Tech style head
Japanese Straight razors
Blackbird
ATT R2
Wolfman OC

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What a question! The mind boggles as to how many I now own and have tried. A wise man once said stainless is where it is at and ATT is a quick fix to most unobtainable DE razors. He was correct on both counts. The ATT R2 and H1 are superb razors. Having just taken delivery of a Wolfman and awaiting an ATT SE as well as the Timeless Razor OC, only time will tell if the ATT R2 or H1 can remain supreme.

Ikon Tech style head
Japanese Straight razors
ATT R2
Wolfman OC

I've got a hankering for a Tradere and think it may be the one razor to rule them all but they are rare as hens teeth and as expensive as Faberge eggs.

Ikon Tech style head
Japanese Straight razors
Blackbird
ATT R2
Wolfman OC

If you like the R2 so much I think you would love the S2

I've got a hankering for a Tradere and think it may be the one razor to rule them all but they are rare as hens teeth and as expensive as Faberge eggs.
The annoying thing with rare razors is the bias of finally obtaining one, in my case leads to needing to love it. Even if you don't, having taken years to acquire you tend to want to keep it. This isn't my case with the Wolfman but certainly with several straight razors.

If you like the R2 so much I think you would love the S2
I actually have the S2, with regards to ATT I own; M, R2, S2, H.

The S2 is very good and I do like OC razors, but I find the hair re-growth to be prickly (due to the slant). This is obviously being very critical of an excellent razor. One of the biggest indicators to me of quality engineering is the feel when tightening the thread. The Blackbird and the Wolfman have buttery smooth threads, shows the level of care/dedication/QC adopted.

The annoying thing with rare razors is the bias of finally obtaining one, in my case leads to needing to love it. Even if you don't, having taken years to acquire you tend to want to keep it. This isn't my case with the Wolfman but certainly with several straight razors.

I've bought the IKON OSS (Dual Comb) three times now, each time I'm left feeling disappointed. It's one of those razors that I'm just determined to master but ultimately will end up selling for something better....

Back
Top Bottom