Have you found your best razor or are you still searching

I've bought the IKON OSS (Dual Comb) three times now, each time I'm left feeling disappointed. It's one of those razors that I'm just determined to master but ultimately will end up selling for something better....
IMO stainless is a huge step up from non stainless razors. It's just the way the blade is seated more firmly. However the designs of non stainless heads can be superior again IMO the likes of the Merkur progress demonstrate this well. Lather doesn't become 'clogged' easily etc.

Regarding the Ikon OCC, way to mild for me. Those who like mild shave would love it. Also audible feedback is negligible. I like to hear my stubble being mowed down and feel the blade doing so, a comfortable yet efficient set up you may say. Try the tech style head on the Ikon and you change the system greatly. Around an 8/9 on a progress. Great thing about the Ikon is no overhang from the side tabs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IMO stainless is a huge step up from non stainless razors. It's just the way the blade is seated more firmly. However the designs of non stainless heads can be superior again IMO the likes of the Merkur progress demonstrate this well. Lather doesn't become 'clogged' easily etc.

Regarding the Ikon OCC, way to mild for me. Those who like mild shave would love it. Also audible feedback is negligible. I like to hear my stubble being mowed down and feel the blade doing so, a comfortable yet efficient set up you may say. Try the tech style head on the Ikon and you change the system greatly. Around an 8/9 on a progress. Great thing about the Ikon is no overhang from the side tabs.

Taking the thread slightly off track but I originally bought the oss as it was reviewed as being the same as the feather as d1 but with an open comb side and half the price. I've yet to try an as d1 or an as d2 but while the oss has fallen away in popularity the feather is still up there as a razor to covet. I do wander if prestige and exclusivity plays a part in your perfect razor ?

Sad to say I'm prey to the 'ideal' formula that cyclists use: N+1 (where N = the number of bikes you already own).

There's always a new razor to buy in search of some imagined perfect shaver.

I've got most consistent good shaves from a Gillette Fatboy.

Best, and most bizarre, recent shave was from a Merkur Bakelite. Weighs about as much as a pencil, and it feels like you're just smearing the lather off your face. But, to my astonishment, I had a superb shave at the end of it. Weird.

Best, and most bizarre, recent shave was from a Merkur Bakelite. Weighs about as much as a pencil, and it feels like you're just smearing the lather off your face. But, to my astonishment, I had a superb shave at the end of it. Weird.
Not weird at all. The best DE I own. I've used others that are as good, but they cost a fair bit more.

Taking the thread slightly off track but I originally bought the oss as it was reviewed as being the same as the feather as d1 but with an open comb side and half the price. I've yet to try an as d1 or an as d2 but while the oss has fallen away in popularity the feather is still up there as a razor to covet. I do wander if prestige and exclusivity plays a part in your perfect razor ?
Interesting question. The way I look at it is every member's experience is related through their opinions. If I have a similar experience, likelihood is we have similar skin, preferences etc. Obviously not the same but similar. Most coveted razors are liked by most and you do have to aquire a taste for truth. I covet any razor I enjoy. Apart from the threading I have a particular area of my neck Judy the square to the centre under my chin that only certain razors cut with ease and no trouble. This is my test for ultimate quality.

. I do wander if prestige and exclusivity plays a part in your perfect razor ?
Not for me.
If anything I think I am biased towards the cheaper ones.
If I can get a cheap one that does the job even better.

Like Nishy, I also have a patch that is the guide. It goes all over the place. Almost everything drags through it.
I have only found one thing that does it so far and that is schick twin injector blades.
Trouble is the price of those blades. (Also, I reckon a more aggressive razor might help a bit more)

So, in summary, I am still looking I would say.

I have still got straights and SE wedges to play with and thoroughly looking forward to them.
I think that when I have found one that does the job well, I think I will struggle to use anything else.

*hears others chuckle at the man's naivety*

. Apart from the threading I have a particular area of my neck Judy the square to the centre under my chin that only certain razors cut with ease and no trouble. This is my test for ultimate quality.

Is that not just a measure of aggressiveness ? I have the same issue on the right under my chin and only aggressive razors get that part BBS, however some are far from what I'd call quality.
I guess when searching for the one, for me I want a razor that will give me BBS with no irritation, rarity and good looks but also something that I will not grow bored of using. I came close with the Cobra, especially now it's been overhauled and looks incredible - but the lack of variety with the blades and the easy learning curve makes it all a bit dull to use - this is also why I'd never buy a oneblade. Lack of variety and little skill required to master - ironically being so good makes it less desirable to me....

Is that not just a measure of aggressiveness ? I have the same issue on the right under my chin and only aggressive razors get that part BBS, however some are far from what I'd call quality.
I guess when searching for the one, for me I want a razor that will give me BBS with no irritation, rarity and good looks but also something that I will not grow bored of using. I came close with the Cobra, especially now it's been overhauled and looks incredible - but the lack of variety with the blades and the easy learning curve makes it all a bit dull to use - this is also why I'd never buy a oneblade. Lack of variety and little skill required to master - ironically being so good makes it less desirable to me....
If it is just down to aggressiveness (I believe it is also down to how well the blade is kept taut), this is still a difficult analysis. From past research, aggressiveness is not just down to blade gap, but also blade exposure (how much of the blade sits on the face, described by this guy from 8 minutes ) and razor weight. The Wolfman situates the blade quite flat, so the blade exposure is more pronounced . Similar with the Blackbird. I find this angle of a flatter plane better for my needs and more aggressive.

I own or have tried a lot of the stainless razors out there and in terms of build quality and feeling of luxury they're gorgeous. Purely in terms of the shave however, the humble Fatip does at least as well as any of them and I love it's looks, it's like a new vintage razor.

If it is just down to aggressiveness (I believe it is also down to how well the blade is kept taut), this is still a difficult analysis. From past research, aggressiveness is not just down to blade gap, but also blade exposure (how much of the blade sits on the face, described by this guy from 8 minutes ) and razor weight. The Wolfman situates the blade quite flat, so the blade exposure is more pronounced . Similar with the Blackbird. I find this angle of a flatter plane better for my needs and more aggressive.

Yes, exposure, blade gap, angle.
Also flexibility of blade. I think that is what took me away from DE blades.

Short version: I appear to agree with you Nishy.

Yes, exposure, blade gap, angle.
Also flexibility of blade. I think that is what took me away from DE blades.

Short version: I appear to agree with you Nishy.
I went from DE to straights to SE back to DE. Probably will cycle again, I prefer DE razors to SE razors but prefer good straight razors to the others two. SE razors to me are like driving an automatic, easy, brake and accelerate. DE's are more picky depending on the razor and straight razors are similar to a sports with no traction control.

so, according to Billy, a
1912 would be like driving an Automatic Austin Princess?
An Injectomatic - A mercedes SE?

I am looking forward to getting to straights.

I am curious with your DEs.
Have you found any that just cut through the tricky bit or you have discovered the technique
to approach the area or just accepting that it isn't as great and enjoying the DE razor?

Back
Top Bottom