Have you found your best razor or are you still searching

Ah see the other issue is personal preference leads to bias. Or at least I think so. It's like asking a BMW driver what they think of Audi and vice versa. [emoji14] Billy knows what he's talking about either way.

With regards to DE's obviously all IMO. Stainless razors such as the Wolfman, ATT, Blackbird and Ikon all hold the blade more rigidly which allows for those tricky areas to be mowed down. The only two non stainless DE razors that have achieved the same are my merkur progress and the fatip grande.
Open comb are my preference unless the blade gap is large enough such as the ATT H1. I definitely wouldn't accept half measures with my razors given the price they demand.

Technique and prep are obviously vital and if your being extra vigilant each razor has a particular lather I find it prefers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I love my 1947 Super Speed with Polsilver SI Blade ,looking forward to trying out my latest purchase 1946/47 Aristocrat Gold Tone.

Back then the Aristocrat gold plate was liberally applied compared to say the early 60s and even less thick in around 1969-70. Years ago it wasn't uncommon to see those earlier gold beauties in the wild here in the USA, with many in great shape. You'll find the finish will hold up real well and if you like the superspeed you're in for a treat.

Martin

I would love a straight razor from 1800s not fussed which part of the century, preferably American but an English straight from that era would do nicely.

Jim

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I was wondering if you have found your best shave yet or will you still keep buying razors hoping to achieve a better shave?

Tried several combinations of razors and blades but I just keep going back to the Merkur 34C. With a Personna blade I always seem to get a good nick-free, burn-free shave even after 3 passes.

But I'm always open to finding a razor that offers a similar low level of aggression but has a little more unique design style to it...any ideas?

Tried several combinations of razors and blades but I just keep going back to the Merkur 34C. With a Personna blade I always seem to get a good nick-free, burn-free shave even after 3 passes.

But I'm always open to finding a razor that offers a similar low level of aggression but has a little more unique design style to it...any ideas?

Interesting.... there are many many people that love the Merkur 34 HD, including myself. The Merkur 34 HD with a Perma Sharp blade is one of my favourite everyday razor. The other razor that come close is the ATT S1 and possibly the M1 too.
Not the best razors for a BBS but certainly a very good nick-free and burn-free shave.

Interesting.... there are many many people that love the Merkur 34 HD, including myself. The Merkur 34 HD with a Perma Sharp blade is one of my favourite everyday razor. The other razor that come close is the ATT S1 and possibly the M1 too.
Not the best razors for a BBS but certainly a very good nick-free and burn-free shave.

Thanks Merkurologist...what is it about your name that suggests you like Merkur razors? Don't tell me, it'll come to me eventually...I'll definitely look into the Perma sharp blades and the razors you mentioned...Thanks!

Love my 34c HD it was my first razor and I still love using it but I also love my ATT S1 Slant. Expensive but worth every penny IMO. Still testing blades but I do like the personna blue daily shaving

Short answer; no, but yeah, but no...
Progress, but then I got my Black Beauty. But then neither are working well at the mo :(
I went through a spell with my straights and have fallen out with them, but I am loving my Feather.
The one thing I have sorted is that creams don't work as well as hard soaps for me, and that I prefer a more agressive razor and fewer passes. I'm pretty sure I don't need anything new, I just need toward on technique. But there might be the 'one' out there ;)

For a while it was 34c. Then it was Futur on 4, then I went up to 6. As of now I am using 37c on a daily basis. I do a sideways pass which is almost BBS.
Bladewise I can say that I cuurently use Voskhods, but I also get good results with Astras, Sputniks, Feathers (though I wouldn't use them on a daily basis - they tend to give me irritation) and most of medium good blades available.
Except Merkur and Derby which seem to pull at my face a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Actually come to think, one of my best is r41 though I can't use it on a daily basis. It goves me a perfect shave if used once or twice a week. Anything more than that and it becomes the irritation bringing beast.
And though I found the most suitable razors for my whiskers/skin/and good aestetics, I'm still interested in what's new out there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom