Guitar players

John said:
osdset said:
John said:
Some times I think your better off with out valves my amp only has 3 but that's 3 to go wrong,at least with Tranny amps you can just sling them into the back of a car and not have to worry about them so much :s

Very true but......you don't get the wonderful aroma of dust burning off 4 El34's and two ECC83's with a Tranny amp do you?

And as for bang for yer buck, 100 watts of tube oomph trumps 100 watts of silicon any day of the week! Standing in front of anything short of a 4x12 with a 100 watt head well...........it's just not rock is it?

You've got a very good point, the valves Vs tranny amps debate/argument
Isn't going away so I'll tell you another story.
So I've got my gold top killed off the tranny,amp time to start looking for a replacement. After looking around at the available amps num nuts here decides that big is best ( the inner rock star demands it) so I got a vox valvtronix 100vt sorted (and in guitar & base mag the one with jimmy page and les Paul RIP,I sent off a email I'm in there in the letters bit:blush:)
So I was happy with it but 100watts in a council house? even with the power turned down things weren't happening :mad: (2x12 speakers oops) sold it on and started looking for the all tube amp and it just so happens that Marshall had the class5 out, you just know a :idea: popped into my skull, order placed, amp arrives plug in to play :huh: something's not quiet right no mojo?
After looking around in guitar forums the problem was the crap standard valves Marshall put in them....off to Watford Valves a set of Harma cryo's now reside within=mojo.
Now in order to get that amp I did tell Mrs J a small lie " look love, it's only 5 watts,so it's not going to ripp your face off is it?" She looked at me thinking,doing the old maths 100watts Vs 5watts =less noise and gave me the nod.....foolish female doesn't know that my little amp has a custom made celestion 12inch speeker and in typical Marshall fashion,is a angry amp,looks cute but has a darker side when required.

Moving back to the valves Vs transistor after I sorted my class 5 out,I was in my local guitar shop (Dingo Jacks) and we was discussing this age old debate and I summed it up with a car crash.....with a transistor amp you just smash into a wall at 100mph,but with a valve amp you get to leave 100 meter long skid marks,then smash into the wall at 100mph,and then you catch fire and burn......can't get any more Rock&Roll than that can you?

5 watts of tube is plenty loud enough for indoors IMHO, it should start distorting nicely at a lower volume so no risk of blowing out the kitchen windows!
Talking of which, many moons ago I repaired an old Function Flyte 100 watt head for a mate (shorted out valve base) I sorted out the bias using my usual method of running the output into a power soak rather than speakers, so the crossover can be checked on a scope without deafening everyone within range, the mistake was plugging the amp back into the 4x12 that lived permanently in the corner of my kitchen, and forgetting that the master vol and gain were on 10, the E power chord very nearly put paid to my already dodgy eardrums!
Luckily the missus was out at the time so I managed to replace most of the shattered crockery before she noticed.

osdset said:
John said:
osdset said:
John said:
Some times I think your better off with out valves my amp only has 3 but that's 3 to go wrong,at least with Tranny amps you can just sling them into the back of a car and not have to worry about them so much :s

Very true but......you don't get the wonderful aroma of dust burning off 4 El34's and two ECC83's with a Tranny amp do you?

And as for bang for yer buck, 100 watts of tube oomph trumps 100 watts of silicon any day of the week! Standing in front of anything short of a 4x12 with a 100 watt head well...........it's just not rock is it?

You've got a very good point, the valves Vs tranny amps debate/argument
Isn't going away so I'll tell you another story.
So I've got my gold top killed off the tranny,amp time to start looking for a replacement. After looking around at the available amps num nuts here decides that big is best ( the inner rock star demands it) so I got a vox valvtronix 100vt sorted (and in guitar & base mag the one with jimmy page and les Paul RIP,I sent off a email I'm in there in the letters bit:blush:)
So I was happy with it but 100watts in a council house? even with the power turned down things weren't happening :mad: (2x12 speakers oops) sold it on and started looking for the all tube amp and it just so happens that Marshall had the class5 out, you just know a :idea: popped into my skull, order placed, amp arrives plug in to play :huh: something's not quiet right no mojo?
After looking around in guitar forums the problem was the crap standard valves Marshall put in them....off to Watford Valves a set of Harma cryo's now reside within=mojo.
Now in order to get that amp I did tell Mrs J a small lie " look love, it's only 5 watts,so it's not going to ripp your face off is it?" She looked at me thinking,doing the old maths 100watts Vs 5watts =less noise and gave me the nod.....foolish female doesn't know that my little amp has a custom made celestion 12inch speeker and in typical Marshall fashion,is a angry amp,looks cute but has a darker side when required.

Moving back to the valves Vs transistor after I sorted my class 5 out,I was in my local guitar shop (Dingo Jacks) and we was discussing this age old debate and I summed it up with a car crash.....with a transistor amp you just smash into a wall at 100mph,but with a valve amp you get to leave 100 meter long skid marks,then smash into the wall at 100mph,and then you catch fire and burn......can't get any more Rock&Roll than that can you?

5 watts of tube is plenty loud enough for indoors IMHO, it should start distorting nicely at a lower volume so no risk of blowing out the kitchen windows!
Talking of which, many moons ago I repaired an old Function Flyte 100 watt head for a mate (shorted out valve base) I sorted out the bias using my usual method of running the output into a power soak rather than speakers, so the crossover can be checked on a scope without deafening everyone within range, the mistake was plugging the amp back into the 4x12 that lived permanently in the corner of my kitchen, and forgetting that the master vol and gain were on 10, the E power chord very nearly put paid to my already dodgy eardrums!
Luckily the missus was out at the time so I managed to replace most of the shattered crockery before she noticed.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: that's the sort of thing I was worried about,Funny when things like that happen, very rock&Roll :icon_razz:

Yes your right about my amp she does like to get some at low volumes but I can turn it up a little more :angel:

Mustn't forget, 5 Watts is half as loud as 50 Watts (not 1/10) assuming you're using the same speaker, so still plenty loud and even possibly too loud to use with neighbours close by!

They are loud,even at 5 watts so I'm using my boss me50's master volume to help with that issue and if needs be,the foot volume peddle that way I get the crunch/ growl without Mrs J sticking a pick axe through my head.

Pub band Bass player, used to play in Blues/Blues Rock Revival Band.

Gigging kit -

Yamaha BB414
Warwick Neodymium Bass Combo WC-CCL-ND-8 (For sale - in theory, hard to part with it)

I've recently found myself doing quite a bit of recording again, after a long gap. My but computer DAWs have come a long way in that time - not to mention virtual instruments, effects and amps!

Now only if Gillette makes guitar...I would like to have those tuning peg custom made looking like a DE razors ( no blades, of course ) gillette... The best guitarman can get.

Just found this thread

I played guitar for a long time, but decided many years ago I was a better sound engineer than guitarist so I kept some bits and pieces, my Fender Custom Shop Sambora signature Strat I had made without the stupid stars on the neck and a rosewood fingerboard, my really crazy relic of the late 80s/early 90s a bright pink metallic BC Rich Mockingbird( USA version) and my Washburn Acoustic which is now 32 years old and is one of the very last of the USA manufactured all solid wood ones and I wouldn't ever part with it. I messed around owning various amps and effects setups over the years and ended up settling for a long time with the biggest bargain I ever bought amp wise. One day I wandered into Cash Converters in Chorley to discover an early 70s Marshall SuperBass head, the one that was basically identical to the none master volume guitar ones for £95 so I bit their hands off and got it home and dragged the old 4x12 out of the garage and proceeded to rock out in the dining room.

As my career as a sound engineer took off I started to be away from home for longer and longer periods and playing kind of fell by the wayside but I still kept all my gear as I couldn't bring myself to sell it. Then I was diagnosed with Bi-lateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in summer 2012 and was told I needed surgery to fix it as it was beyond the point where splints etc would do any good. I had my right hand which was by far the worst one operated on in November 2012 and everything went very well, I then had my left hand operated on in April this year, and things didn't go as well, I have been left with a scar that binds pretty badly at the base of my hand and won't let me move my wrist and fingers properly and cramps up frequently, so unfortunately my guitar playing days are over. I sold off all my electrics and amps/effects etc and kept the Washburn Acoustic I got for my 15th birthday as it's one of the few things I have left that my paternal Grandmother helped to pay for, I have to admit that although I hardly used any of it it was a huge wrench to let the stuff go.

DR Rick and IanM what bands were/are you in, I kind of feel that I may know you, or our paths have crossed with me in the engineers slot at gigs.

John said:
I was wondering if TSR has any guitar players amongst us.
If so what do you have, and what guitar is your "Go to" instrument?

My current stash is

Futurama strat (new and customised)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2009 (Gold Top finish)
Rally les paul (new and customised)
Freshman FA300D acoustic
Vox Vt40+ (pratice/ noodling)
Marshall Class 5 ( Rock God mode + couldn't afford a blues breakers combo :blush:)
Special effects department....

Boss me 50
Electro harmonix cathedral stereo reverb
The Vox Vt40+

My go to guitar is the cheep strat / cheep lespaul....Kids around.

Happy picking, John

Hi john I know that your post had nothing to do with selling but, i just wanted to ask if you would sell your freshman fa300d as I need a new acoustic . If you are not interested in selling then I'm sorry I wasted your time, but if so please reply
P.S The class 5 is a cracking little amp sounds close to a blues breaker if your smart and mess around with it enough.
Regard's Cathal O'R iordan

I have 7 axes, 5 electrics and 2 acoustics.

Fender Strat with Seymour Duncan 'Everything Axe' set fitted (might switch these out for some Bare Knuckle pickups)
Fender Telecaster with Bare Knuckle 'The Boss' pickup set fitted
Gibson Les Paul studio with BKP 'Nailbomb' fitted in bridge
Epiphone Les Paul standard with Nailbomb also in bridge
Gibson Les Paul Junior with a stock P90 (looking to switch this out sometime)
Takamine EG321c electro-acoustic
Tanglewood acoustic

Got a nice range of sounds there, can do the clean stuff to the high gain rock!

I think it might be time to resurrect this one :)

I run a modest rig at the moment, consisting of:

Blackstar Series One 45 2x12 Combo
2014 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White
60th Anniversary Fender Stratocaster
1994 Fender Richie Sambora Stratocaster
Selection of effects (reverb, compressor, chorus, OD and wah)

Blackstar and 60th Anni:
011749a2d000c2e897b917130bdcacd7784dbcbad0.jpg

Jackson (now gone), Les Paul and the Sambora Strat:
1395230_10151644866902031_1307989666_n.jpg

I play 4 string bass. I have a guitar too but you may as well put a trombone in front of me because I can't play it for love nor money. I bought a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Special II so I can practice.

My primary bass is a Fender Precision (standard). I also have an Ibanez GSR200. The P-Bass is much more natural for me to play, wider frets and lends itself to a very broad range of music. The Ibanez feels a lot more compact and as much as I hate to down vote my beloved P-Bass, is much better for playing fast rock sort of music with a lot of pick work. The compact neck makes it much easier to reach the higher notes.

The Ibanez seems to hold it's tune better too. I know we should always be turning our gear but it feels like the P-Bass needs tuning every time I pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom