Guitar players

FrankieG said:
mattlad said:
FrankieG said:
I think we're going to need a drummer at some point :D

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IbC3jfyz5g0#![/video]:icon_razz:
Youtube link......

Thanks for that. Most enjoyable ;)

But he will die mysteriously under odd circumstances, including spontaneous human combustion, and "A bizarre gardening accident" :icon_razz:

Dr Rick said:
Both of these involve Ian and I,
Ian is the modest chap with the bass. I'm the fat hairy showoff with the microphone.

Great stuff fellas. Very clever Sandman/Don't Stop Believing mix.

I've got 'Crying in the rain' going round my head now. Rick, you have a fine pair of lungs, you Shiny Golden God, you! :icon_biggrin:

Just finished a gig tonight in Plymouth and winding down with a San Mig or two while reading TSR. I'm a bassist - bass is a Fender Jazz fitted with EMG pickups, played thru a 1982 Trace Elliot 4X10 with a 1x15 cab underneath.

Now, which blade shall I chuck in the Superspeed tomorrow?....

Lou

I have a confession to make, If I told this to non guitar players they would think I'm a complete b******d
In my house there was a rule something can only be replaced once its broken, so when I first started to play I got a strat and a second hand modelling amp from cash converters ( a Marshall Mg15 dfx for £60)

That served me well for a good few years,and then like every body else I started to want a tube amp :dodgy: unfortunately my grand parents passed on and in there will I was left £1000 ( my other 2 brothers spent there £1000 on electronics of which have all broken) so I decided to buy my Gibson using the Take it away scheme.

So now it's confession time right! Look I've got the guitar, the multi foot peddles ......and that amp, I tried every thing I could to brake it, things like cranking the amp full pelt with the gain channel to get feed back and leaving it squealing like a pig hoping the speaker would pop, dropping it knocking it over, but no such luck:mad: so I arranged a little accident involving my stairs, yes I let it fall down a hole flight of em did it die? No :huh:
so I left it on the stairs hoping that the kids/ the cat would do my evil bidding for me, and one day the cat managed to kill it of using nothing but gravity and just 3 stairs YES:icon_razz: not that I could show excitement in any way just "I'm the Victim of a unfortunate accident act" should have got an Oscar for that one :angel:

I'm utterly shocked...
How could you allow such a rule in your house? House rule here is: No more than three... after that it's one-in, one-out.... which is just about manageable for me. That rule doesn't apply to razors as they're much cheaper than basses.

Tranny amps are tough little beasts, aren't they. I played a gig at a garden party once... managed to bounce my Ashdown amp down a load of stone steps in the garden... not a scratch on it and it still played OK.

LOL That rule went south pretty much soon after joining TSR :icon_twisted:

I agree, those Tranny amps are tough sons of bitches,and would recomend them to a newbie just for that reson or even for noodilng around on,you'd think that they would have the common decency to die allredy when abused,but no they take a good kicking befoure that happens.

Coincidently I replaced the valves in my class 5 just befour Christmas never having done it befoure, after spending 45 minuets looking for a pot to adust the biased noticed they self biase :blush:

Never had a valve amp (except in my hi-fi amps, which is a different story). For bass players valves = extreme size and weight, and I went the other way with lightweight MarkBass amps. Used to look great in my last band... two guitarists with Marshall half-stacks and me with a tiny 12" combo with a yellow speaker. I was usually DI'd through a PA, but made enough noise on its own, though

Some times I think your better off with out valves my amp only has 3 but that's 3 to go wrong,at least with Tranny amps you can just sling them into the back of a car and not have to worry about them so much :s

Another bass player here. My favourite bass is my 1973 maple neck Fender Precision which is sunburst and all original, a bit battered now but still beautiful. Have also got a 1978 Precision (white / maple neck) which weighs a ridiculous amount but sounds and plays great. Others include a 1997 Musicman Stingray 5 string in Honeyburst, an Aria ProII 6 string and a reissue Burns "John Rostill" Shadows Bass, have wanted one of those since about 1967 when I saw The Shadows in panto' at The London Palladium when I was 6. The Burns looks cool but that's about it!.

Pyro61 said:
Another bass player here. My favourite bass is my 1973 maple neck Fender Precision which is sunburst and all original, a bit battered now but still beautiful. Have also got a 1978 Precision (white / maple neck) which weighs a ridiculous amount but sounds and plays great. Others include a 1997 Musicman Stingray 5 string in Honeyburst, an Aria ProII 6 string and a reissue Burns "John Rostill" Shadows Bass, have wanted one of those since about 1967 when I saw The Shadows in panto' at The London Palladium when I was 6. The Burns looks cool but that's about it!.

Occasionally I play apache( badly :blush:) they were the inspiration for me to customise my strat :angel:

The Shadows inspired so many people to pick up a guitar or bass. They were the blueprint for the classic four piece rock band and wrote a lot of decent tunes too. Their influence shouldn't be underestimated as they paved the way for bands like The Beatles, Stones and Who. Their big mistake was drifting into cabaret and the "cheesy" side of things, a waste as they were a talented bunch. When I last saw them live in around 1980, I managed to see them 3 times in a week and they'd become a machine, they cracked the same jokes in exactly the same spot in the show every night, and every minor move was obviously rehearsed. Didn't like that, some would say they were a very slick and professional act by this stage but I found them stiff and contrived and their lack of spontaneity just bored me. I saw the Pirates (ex of Johnny Kidd) and Rory Gallagher soon after, THAT was more like it. Gave up on The Shads after that.

John said:
Some times I think your better off with out valves my amp only has 3 but that's 3 to go wrong,at least with Tranny amps you can just sling them into the back of a car and not have to worry about them so much :s

Very true but......you don't get the wonderful aroma of dust burning off 4 El34's and two ECC83's with a Tranny amp do you?

And as for bang for yer buck, 100 watts of tube oomph trumps 100 watts of silicon any day of the week! Standing in front of anything short of a 4x12 with a 100 watt head well...........it's just not rock is it?

osdset said:
John said:

Very true but......you don't get the wonderful aroma of dust burning off 4 El34's and two ECC83's with a Tranny amp do you?

And as for bang for yer buck, 100 watts of tube oomph trumps 100 watts of silicon any day of the week! Standing in front of anything short of a 4x12 with a 100 watt head well...........it's just not rock is it?

You've got a very good point, the valves Vs tranny amps debate/argument
Isn't going away so I'll tell you another story.
So I've got my gold top killed off the tranny,amp time to start looking for a replacement. After looking around at the available amps num nuts here decides that big is best ( the inner rock star demands it) so I got a vox valvtronix 100vt sorted (and in guitar & base mag the one with jimmy page and les Paul RIP,I sent off a email I'm in there in the letters bit:blush:)
So I was happy with it but 100watts in a council house? even with the power turned down things weren't happening :mad: (2x12 speakers oops) sold it on and started looking for the all tube amp and it just so happens that Marshall had the class5 out, you just know a :idea: popped into my skull, order placed, amp arrives plug in to play :huh: something's not quiet right no mojo?
After looking around in guitar forums the problem was the crap standard valves Marshall put in them....off to Watford Valves a set of Harma cryo's now reside within=mojo.
Now in order to get that amp I did tell Mrs J a small lie " look love, it's only 5 watts,so it's not going to ripp your face off is it?" She looked at me thinking,doing the old maths 100watts Vs 5watts =less noise and gave me the nod.....foolish female doesn't know that my little amp has a custom made celestion 12inch speeker and in typical Marshall fashion,is a angry amp,looks cute but has a darker side when required.

Moving back to the valves Vs transistor after I sorted my class 5 out,I was in my local guitar shop (Dingo Jacks) and we was discussing this age old debate and I summed it up with a car crash.....with a transistor amp you just smash into a wall at 100mph,but with a valve amp you get to leave 100 meter long skid marks,then smash into the wall at 100mph,and then you catch fire and burn......can't get any more Rock&Roll than that can you?

Back
Top Bottom