Guitar players

WiffWaff said:
IanM said:
Bass player here.

Currently just have 2 basses; A Warwick Corvette 4-string and an Ibanez 5-string.

The Corvette was my main gigging bass during my time with a covers band. I had 2, in fact, as one was a spare.

Ian

Warwick basses are great, the price of German-built Warwicks now are just crazy. I had a Warwick Corvette $$ fretless... sold quite recently. Does your Corvette have a natural finish? My Thumb is natural and has to be waxed... used to love waxing it when I was gigging and really into it... pain in the bum if you're not in the mood

Mine are here

I sold the pale one when I stopped gigging and kept the dark one. I wandered into SoundControl in Manchester one day, not really intending to buy anything. Tried the dark one, played it for about half an hour in the shop and bought it. Bought the pale one from SoundContol in Hanley a month or so later - both used.

Natural finish, so a tin of wax was purchased and is used, but probably not as much as it should be.

Ian

The dark one (Bubinga?) is lovely. I tried a fretless version when I bought my Thumb... very similar sound and attack, but I went for the Thumb in the end... think that might have been in Soundcontrol Manchester too. Big building... and I was in there for hours

Couple of pics attached... not very good but all I can dredge up at short notice

[attachment=6555][attachment=6556]

Attachments

• 152comp.jpg
    152comp.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 24
  • jazz2comp.jpg
    jazz2comp.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 23
Re: RE: Guitar players

sagesmith said:
That's a lovely amp/effects rig. I'm guessing you go for the harder types of rock, judging by your choice of guitar. Stevie Vai fan?

Yeah, I'm an unrepentant widdle-merchant, though I do listen to some more modern stuff (Avenged Sevenfold, Black Veil Brides, etc). I am a big Vai fan and he was a huge influence, but it's pure luck that his guitars happen to suit me. My interviews with, e.g., Steve Morse's and Edward Van Halen's signature models were heartbreaking affairs ending in confessions of incompatibility, and I finally sold on my Nuno Bettencourt when I accepted that Gibson scale boards and I will never be good friends.

John said:
I'll say that rack looks the nuts :heart:

Heh. It was the end of a long evolutionary line, including earlier versions with shelves full of pedals controlled by the Kenton loop-switcher that's still in it, and I was lucky to hit on the ADA MP1 in an astonishingly generous trade with a pro (Vinny) I did some session vocals for. It spent about weight years without seeing power recently, and I was astounded to turn it back on and find everything not only working but still with all my patches programmed!

Of course I could do all the same things now with a simple floorboard modeller, but it wouldn't have the same magic - I grew up wanting the big midi rack and by God I got it! Now, Vinny, he has the full on Bradshaw switcher, multiple TC delays, power-soaked head rig - spectacular - but I like my little fridge of lights in its small way. Bit extravagant for somebody who's basically a singer, though.

IanM here, who's seen me play many times and shared a stage more than a few, can testify that it, and I, do still reek of GIT-scented heavy rock :).

Dr Rick said:
sagesmith said:
That's a lovely amp/effects rig. I'm guessing you go for the harder types of rock, judging by your choice of guitar. Stevie Vai fan?

Yeah, I'm an unrepentant widdle-merchant, though I do listen to some more modern stuff (Avenged Sevenfold, Black Veil Brides, etc). I am a big Vai fan and he was a huge influence, but it's pure luck that his guitars happen to suit me. My interviews with, e.g., Steve Morse's and Edward Van Halen's signature models were heartbreaking affairs ending in confessions of incompatibility, and I finally sold on my Nuno Bettencourt when I accepted that Gibson scale boards and I will never be good friends.

John said:
I'll say that rack looks the nuts :heart:

Heh. It was the end of a long evolutionary line, including earlier versions with shelves full of pedals controlled by the Kenton loop-switcher that's still in it, and I was lucky to hit on the ADA MP1 in an astonishingly generous trade with a pro (Vinny) I did some session vocals for. It spent about weight years without seeing power recently, and I was astounded to turn it back on and find everything not only working but still with all my patches programmed!

Of course I could do all the same things now with a simple floorboard modeller, but it wouldn't have the same magic - I grew up wanting the big midi rack and by God I got it! Now, Vinny, he has the full on Bradshaw switcher, multiple TC delays, power-soaked head rig - spectacular - but I like my little fridge of lights in its small way. Bit extravagant for somebody who's basically a singer, though.

IanM here, who's seen me play many times and shared a stage more than a few, can testify that it, and I, do still reek of GIT-scented heavy rock :).

That's the funny thing about guitars/ effects you know when you find the right ones,they just fit the slot like a jigsaw puzzle and its a "WOW this is for me" moment! Well even if you do still reek of GIT-scented heavy rock I don't blame you one little bit......it's fun to grow old disgracefully,:Rock on buddy :icon_cool:

Hey...we could have a forum band. Call ourselves TSR or DE. That'd be hilarious.

Loving Black Veil Brides. Also enjoying Shadow Moses by Bring Me The Horizon, which is getting rotational play on Radio One (bizarrely) right now.

sagesmith said:
Hey...we could have a forum band. Call ourselves TSR or DE. That'd be hilarious.
That's a good :idea:
How about By the razor ( But only on a Wednesday night when the strings get de tuned for grind core):icon_razz:

Think I may have said this before, but it was a thread on a music forum that got me in to DE shaving... couldn't believe that some of these guys were shaving with such weird and wonderful razors and blades... and my electric shaver had just broken

Danelectro 58 longhorn
Patrick Eggle Berlin
John D'Angelico New Yorker
Epiphone 12 string Jumbo
Rickenbacker 4003 Bass
Rickenbacker 330 six string
All of the above were repairs that customers never collected apart from the D'Angelico which I bought in a moment of madness, because I really wanted a teardrop but short of a lottery win would never get to own:huh:

Backline
Marshall JMP-1C combo
Function (early 70's I'm guessing) 100 watt valve head coupled with a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Greenbacks.
Roland Micro Cube for noodling in the bedroom.

On the floor
Marshall DRP-1
Zoom G2.

osdset said:
Danelectro 58 longhorn
Dan Armstrong Plexiglass bass
Patrick Eggle Berlin
Gibson F5 Mandolin
Epiphone 12 string Jumbo
Rickenbacker 4003 Bass
All of the above were repairs that customers never collected apart from the D'Angelico which I bought in a moment of madness, because I really wanted the teardrop but short of a lottery win would never get to own:huh:

Backline
Marshall JMP-1C combo
Function (early 70's I'm guessing) 100 watt valve head coupled with a 4x12 loaded with Celestion Greenbacks.

On the floor
Marshall DRP-1
Zoom G2.

I don't / can't play but I love the looks and sound the Dan Armstrong Plexiglass produces, very nice indeed.

Looks like TSR members have lots of good guitars in use :heart:

Northam Saint said:
osdset said:
Danelectro 58 longhorn
Dan Armstrong Plexiglass bass
Patrick Eggle Berlin
Gibson F5 Mandolin
Epiphone 12 string Jumbo
Rickenbacker 4003 Bass
All of the above were repairs that customers never collected apart from the D'Angelico which I bought in a moment of madness, because I really wanted the teardrop but short of a lottery win would never get to own:huh:

Backline
Marshall JMP-1C combo

On the floor
Marshall DRP-1
Zoom G2.

I don't / can't play but I love the looks and sound the Dan Armstrong Plexiglass produces, very nice indeed.
I think I spotted one on The Hives video that Mikael put in the SOTD the other week.

I gigged with various bands in the late 80s and early 90s, and have bought and sold countless guitars/amps/effects over the years.

I developed a real fondness for the Japanese-made Fender and Gibson copies from Tokai, Greco, Burny etc. (by the late 70s, they were widely regarded as far better quality than anything Fender or Gibson had been producing at that time). Sadly, serious financial hardship a few years back forced me to sell most of my gear. These days, I only play at home, and my modest collection now consists of two guitars and one amp:

Greco Strat - Superb guitar. From 1981, one of the last Greco made at the Fujigen Gakki factory before Fender acquired them for their Japanese production.

Aria Pro II Strat - from 1977, made in the famous Matsumoku factory. Not quite as good as the Greco, but lovely guitar nonetheless.

Vox Pathfinder 15R - surprising tone and volume for a small solid-state amp. I've also got a Vox Amplug AC30 headphone amp for those quiet practice moments -again, surprisingly good and accurate AC30-type tone.

I still lust after a decent Tele, Les Paul, and a nice P90-equipped guitar (SG or Les Paul Jnr). One day, when funds allow...

Epiphone Sheraton in blond, Korean made, maybe 15 years old now
Simon and Patrick sp6, which is a bare Canadian spruce top acoustic, nice and woody sounding, 18 years old
Couple of small practice amps including a Marshall 30 watt combo
Couple of pedals including a Boss blues driver

Nowt special really, not played in a while in fact.

Dr Rick said:
My main instruments are my half-dozen Ibanez, with the two JEMs coming out first - must especially the floral.

Moving to a bigger place brought my old gigging rig back out of retirement, too.

Some of the guitars (but not the floral JEM, which I unpacked separately):

The Rack O'Doom, with desert yellow JEM (floral awaiting a string change):

Floral Jem....I am jealous!! One of my all time favourites.

These are my main two, the les Paul sounds better but I bought the Jem for my 21st and am very attached to it. Nice fast neck too.

[attachment=6557]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360707522.227935.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360707522.227935.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom