Getting knotted

Ordered a replacement handle last Thursday for the Bay. Just had an email to say its been dispatched today and expect delivery Saturday. Why do things always take so long to arrive when your in a hurry, and what were they doing between Thursday and today that they could dispatch it earlier. I was expecting it this weekend.
If I knew where I could get one locally on the high street I go and get one today.

Finally got sorted out after a busy time and my first attempt at 'getting knotted'.

Whipped up MWF very easily and a very dense 'TGN 24mm XH Finest Fan' knot set at 4.9cm.

(oops will have to post later)

Here's a question for the more advanced restorors.
The damaged handle i have may be usable if i can enlarge the hole enough. I may be able to take it out to perhaps 26-28mm, get rid of the damaged section and fit a large knot. I dont think i would be able to enlarge the hole that much with the dremel and keep the hole something near round. Anyone any ideas on enlarging the hole out to that sort of size.

24mm TGN XH Fan in FS 25mm handle.
getknottedresult.jpg

I've used both of them now and they are nice. Face lathered the bulb today with provance santé. I lathered spectacularly. Really pleased with them.

heroblob said:
I've used both of them now and they are nice. Face lathered the bulb today with provance santé. I lathered spectacularly. Really pleased with them.

Looks like you now have a special limited edition at a great price. Scroll down to see what another LE sold for!

http://shavenook.com/thread-simfix-grosvenor-vulfix-simpson-super-badger-two-band-badger-bullgoose-edition

Blimey, I purchased the knots for £18 pounds each I had 2 404's at the start, but dropped one while reworking it so I had to purchase a new one. Same handle but unfortunately branded as something else so doesn't have the Grosvenor logo. May remedy that by polishing the writing off both.
All in you could make one of these for as little as £18 if you have an old bodger. Definitely worth doing.

No need to polish now, Just managed to secure another correctly badged 404. I have an extra knot so will make another.
I'll then give the other to my dad for a present. He deserves something nice.

Just been looking on the simpson web site.
Am i correct in thinking that the 404 handle is the same as they use for the duke.
It looks identical from the pictures, and given the specs it looks like i have made myself a duke 3.

I have a very good mate with a lathe, we are both retired old fashioned engineers not like most of the modern ones that can't solve problems. I think that in the near future I will have a day out and make a couple of brush handles to see what I can come up with one in wood and if available one with an alluminium and brass sandwich, when I was an apprentice we used to make handles like that for companion sets.

I'm considering re-knotting a Bodger myself. Does HM Customs charge the usual VAT on a TGN knot of US $21.95 + a Post Office handling charge or do they tend to 'slip through'?

FrankieG said:
I'm considering re-knotting a Bodger myself. Does HM Customs charge the usual VAT on a TGN knot of US $21.95 + a Post Office handling charge or do they tend to 'slip through'?

The box was marked at $1 value so slipped through.

Be aware that you will probably get an email asking for an additional £2 postage as their postal rates don't reflect actual ones. Good luck!

geezer said:
Be aware that you will probably get an email asking for an additional £2 postage as their postal rates don't reflect actual ones. Good luck!

Yep, just got the email. Total postage was $7.95 (+/- £5). Still, not bad considering what Royal Mail is charging for packages these days.

I steamed the old knot out of my Bodger and just need to clean up the hole while I'm waiting for the new knot to arrive, a 22mm Finest Badger XH.

Back
Top Bottom