Getting knotted

All my fans are set a bit longer than bulbs - eg Lee Sabini, BeeJay as Graeme says and they suit me to the ground - except a Shavemac which is set shorter and this is the one I compare to a stencil brush, which is a pity as DO1 brushes are expensive.

Each to their own, though - I know what I like and can only recomment that.

Having read this thread i am really considering having a play. I have a couple of Grovenor (404) boar/badger brushes that i purchased when i started. i never liked them. way too stritchy and make my face sore. i do however like the handle shape and have thought about breathing a new lease of life in them. Im not sure what size knot they are but fancy doing them with something really special. I have a few of peters brushes Tubby1&2 and also the fan and a sivertip, Sorry Pete out of touch with all the numbers. I also have a 24mm african soap stone brush from Rod with one of his top end knots. I would like to get something similar. Perhaps a grade A fan and bulb and do one of each.
I had thougt about asking Pete and Rod if they have knots that they sell.
Just a thought, I see people on here talking about XH knots which i presume to be xtra hair. I couldn't see these on the TGN site.

heroblob said:
Having read this thread i am really considering having a play. I have a couple of Grovenor (404) boar/badger brushes that i purchased when i started. i never liked them. ... I see people on here talking about XH knots which i presume to be xtra hair. I couldn't see these on the TGN site.

http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_43&products_id=490 xtra hair fan and xh bulb further down.

Nice handles on those grosvenor brushes.

Would this be me 'enabling'?

It may well be.
How long did the knots take to get to the UK.

Just tried steaming the knot out of the one at work. 40 mins steaming as described and still solid in the handle.
this may be a cut off and drill out.
Anyone any other tricks to try before i try the drill out method.

Also anyone know how good the TGN super silvertips are like.

Well it took 4 goes the last one being an hour in the steam, but the knot is now out. Got some clean up to do but sorted.
Will do the other one tomorrow so i have a matching pair of handles ready to get a couple of nice knots. was thinking about doing one fan and one bulb.

Ok, I have now got 2 empty Grosvenor handles awaiting new knots.
When it comes to setting the hight can you dry run them before glueing to get an idea of the loft required.

It's a learning curve. This one is too short/long so adjust the next.

I suppose you could try setting them in builders' expanding foam or some such - but make sure the knots and handles are absolutely dry before fitting with epoxy. Surely you'll get a good enough feel for the ccorrect loft just running your fingers over the dry knot sitting in the handle - not accurate but close enough to jusdge under or over 50mm.

geezer said:
Which epoxy are people using? Considering Araldite or here 80min set but would this be one that allows the steam method to remove knots?

Are you thinking of re-knotting even before you've re-knotted?

Pass on steaming out Araldite - though I've ever thought of it as a permanent fix. I use an epoxy that comes in a twin tube with one big, fat pusher a la hypodermic and a twist on mixer nozzle. Use it just like a heavy duty hypodermic syringe and it delivers ready-mixed-in-perfect-proportion-just-where-you-want-it epoxy. Five minutes as I remember. Red and black packaging.

Thanks Carl, yep forward thinking ;)

So many choices for epoxy resins. Have used the individual tubes when I was a kid but having read round some seem to steer clear of the dual-syringe and even fast set though the latter is mixed between if things go wrong and not being strong but of course there are differences of opinion.

Anyhow, ordered TGN Finest Badger 24mm XH fan and await its arrival.

Back
Top Bottom