Flavoured Vodka

I dunno the answer to that ashore, Sean. We would empty the bottle before we arrived wherever and then start again. The rule was 'the longer the better' - sometimes a bottle would stew for several weeks. Sometimes.

We only ever used oranges - a manly sailor type fruit, prevents scurvy and all that. Does clementine peel have enough flavour, I wonder.

Keep going on the peel additions - and it looks like you've been test tasting it. The rule for that is top it up with rum.

Sorry, Sean - I wrote this yesterday but it succumbed to my annoying habit of not pressing the Post Reply button!

I think the clementines have enough it certainly tastes orangey. Lovely in fact. I'll leave it longer and add some more though to add to the flavour. Then it's resisting until Christmas.

Thanks for the idea, I'm very pleased with the results, SWMBO tried some and likes it too, now that's something believe me.

Last edited:
What's not to like? This is a Top Secret recipe passed down from generation to generation of British Marine Engineers over several trips. Back when there were some British Marine Engineers, back when there was a British Merchant Navy - just don't get me started on job redundancies!

Glad she likes it, though - have you topped up the bottle since she tasted it? It gets better with time - and more rum, of course

I'm weird, so my favourite is Salmiakki. Take about 150g of salted salmiak liquorice. Tyrkisk Peber is traditional, but other brands work just as well. Mix with a bottle of vodka and let the liquorice dissolve. Stir or shake occasionally - it will take several days. Brush you teeth with Marvis Liquorice tooth paste before going to bed for added liquorice goodness...

+1 on Tyrkisk Peber I got introduced to this stuff in Finland.

Andreas if you like your Salmiakki( as I do), try a liquorice Cornetto with Salmiakki sprinkles.:)

+1 on Tyrkisk Peber I got introduced to this stuff in Finland.

Andreas if you like your Salmiakki( as I do), try a liquorice Cornetto with Salmiakki sprinkles.:)

Oh now I've discovered liquorice pastilles. I love liquorice and was looking for a treat but something a little different.

I purchased a mixed bag of them and wow. These are more a gourmet event than a simple sweet. They range from sweet, sweet mint, to salted and extreme salt. While the extreme salt is something very different I do like them. They shift from salt to sweet in the mouth.

323fd2d19b993b933e0bf508f3b49252.jpg

Apart from one they are all more or less a compressed powder tablet form rather than the normal chewy form of liquorice. Something very different. Du to the intense taste you only have a couple at a time and the flavour does linger in the mouth.

Last edited:
One of the lads in the office is Norwegian, he brought in some Tyrkisk Peber and not one person liked it. I did until I got through the shell and the inside was full of wrongness. :eek: Marmite is positively mundane by comparison.

Still, it probably has the advantage that if you buy it you don't need to worry about anyone else eating it. :p

Salmiak is vile. I like liquorice, and I could even get on board with the salt, it's the ammonia that puts me off. Never have I smelt urine and thought, "Hmm, I need confectionery that tastes like that!"

Chris, the only way to drink the Peber is like schnapps, preferably a 1/4 of a bottle at a time :D. There is a different version available which is a bit more mellow but I can't remember what its called.
I also think you need your nasal passages testing, no way has salmiak got a smell of urine or, you've had some dodgy salmiak with some irate Nordic/Finnish bloke who has pissed all over your liquorice.:p

Oh now I've discovered liquorice pastilles. I love liquorice and was looking for a treat but something a little different.

I purchased a mixed bag of them and wow. These are more a gourmet event than a simple sweet. They range from sweet, sweet mint, to salted and extreme salt. While the extreme salt is something very different I do like them. They shift from salt to sweet in the mouth.

323fd2d19b993b933e0bf508f3b49252.jpg

Apart from one they are all more or less a compressed powder tablet form rather than the normal chewy form of liquorice. Something very different. Du to the intense taste you only have a couple at a time and the flavour does linger in the mouth.

I now have a bag on its way to me :)

Back
Top Bottom