First straight shave

I think it's time to learn the next step of straight razor TLC and maintenance Steve...... Honing and touching up the blade, looks like you've taken to straight razor shaving very well indeed,nice stash of blades building up buy the way ;-) So personally if my razors need a complete honing, I would send them off, but so far I have got away with just a 12,000 super stone for touch up's that's about every 4/5 shaves, but this topic will go nuts with advice. So please every body pile in,with what you think steve should have so he gets some idea of what honing and touching up the blade involvs.

Mikael said:
They use 5 shots (2½ double) in a cappu!? :icon_eek: My God! A traditional cappu has one shot, I prefer two ... are they made in latte containers? :)

nope.

they start by making the coffee in double espressos cups put that in (you can ask for more)

then they add the milk in at the end, i have less milk than most because i always ask for an extra sot

here is someone drinking from one of the cups to give you an idea on size

3425935105_f99eff6ddb.jpg

Mikael said:
:D Nice! The cup is lovely too and do look to be on the larger side.

Massimo (560 ml) (the one i have and thats in pic)

Tray Contains %GDA*
Energy (kJ) 942 9%
Energy (kcal) 226 9%
Protein (g) 11.6 21%
Fat (g) 12.1 13%
Saturated Fat (g) 7.4 25%
Fibre (g) 0 0%
Carbohydrates (g) 18.5 6%
Sugars (g) 17.4 14%
Salt (mg) 0 0%
Sodium (mg) 0 0%

John said:
I think it's time to learn the next step of straight razor TLC and maintenance Steve...... Honing and touching up the blade, looks like you've taken to straight razor shaving very well indeed,nice stash of blades building up buy the way ;-) So personally if my razors need a complete honing, I would send them off, but so far I have got away with just a 12,000 super stone for touch up's that's about every 4/5 shaves, but this topic will go nuts with advice. So please every body pile in,with what you think steve should have so he gets some idea of what honing and touching up the blade involvs.

Hi John I think your right about sending them off to for a complete honing , at the moment I feel that I need to be more confident with my stroping as I'm not sure I'm getting the best out of it , but a naniwa 12k I think it has to be , I'm a big believer in jumping in at the deep end and finding my way out that's just the way I like to do things , thanks for the thumbs up with the razors by the way I think I just need one for every day of the week now !!

Steve

theranger2000 said:
John said:

Hi John I think your right about sending them off to for a complete honing , at the moment I feel that I need to be more confident with my stroping as I'm not sure I'm getting the best out of it , but a naniwa 12k I think it has to be , I'm a big believer in jumping in at the deep end and finding my way out that's just the way I like to do things , thanks for the thumbs up with the razors by the way I think I just need one for every day of the week now !!

Steve
That's all I use ,just 15 strokes with the blade flat down facing away from you with water as a lubricant (top up water every 7 strokes) on each side then dry blade and then strop fully, the naniwa should be cleaned off with the cleaning stone (the funny yellow brick) to do this run a cold water tap over the stone,run the cleaning stone from the top down to the bottom repeat untill the stone is clean, the gray colour is steal from your blade of witch you have worn off ,and must be cleaned off,to keep the stone smoth as poss. That's it in the most basic way. What can I expect when I shave next? all being good,your blade will be the sharpest mother fucker you will ever shave with,but it will be sooooooooooooo smoth and comfy, this is what your razor should be like.
You may say,why didnt you tell me this before? What can I tell you, you have learned to shave with them,and now you can see how much there is to learn, and master, the honing is just the next step,hopefully the people reading this and want to get involved with straight razors and have followed the posts from the start,I will say to them that Steve is living proof that just because your new to the straight razor, you can face that shiny blade, and learn to love them. Ps...... Drink more coffee

John said:
theranger2000 said:
John said:

Steve
That's all I use ,just 15 strokes with the blade flat down facing away from you with water as a lubricant (top up water every 7 strokes) on each side then dry blade and then strop fully, the naniwa should be cleaned off with the cleaning stone (the funny yellow brick) to do this run a cold water tap over the stone,run the cleaning stone from the top down to the bottom repeat untill the stone is clean, the gray colour is steal from your blade of witch you have worn off ,and must be cleaned off,to keep the stone smoth as poss. That's it in the most basic way. What can I expect when I shave next? all being good,your blade will be the sharpest mother fucker you will ever shave with,but it will be sooooooooooooo smoth and comfy, this is what your razor should be like.
You may say,why didnt you tell me this before? What can I tell you, you have learned to shave with them,and now you can see how much there is to learn, and master, the honing is just the next step,hopefully the people reading this and want to get involved with straight razors and have followed the posts from the start,I will say to them that Steve is living proof that just because your new to the straight razor, you can face that shiny blade, and learn to love them. Ps...... Drink more coffee

Ha Ha John I'm drinking a coffee right now but only to wash down the Rioja , thanks for your words of wisdom once again , it's a strange thing this shaving I've gone from loathing shaving to loving it and straight shaving is a life skill and a huge learning curve but I'm sure the journey has just begun

Steve.

theranger2000 said:
John said:
theranger2000 said:
John said:

Steve

Ha Ha John I'm drinking a coffee right now but only to wash down the Rioja , thanks for your words of wisdom once again , it's a strange thing this shaving I've gone from loathing shaving to loving it and straight shaving is a life skill and a huge learning curve but I'm sure the journey has just begun

Steve.
Intrestingly that's the same way it was for me, I couldn't stand shaving at all, but one day I was looking at YouTube and stumbled across geofatboy I don't know why I just went wow that looks interesting,and just took the plunge and never regretted it what a fab way to start the day,and+ coffee :heart:

Back
Top Bottom